Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Alden Towers

Designed by Edwin Rourke. Also includes an image of the building under construction.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I lived there 25 years ago, and though even then it had become threadbare, it was one of the loviest places I've ever lived. Glad to see it brought back.

Around the mid-70's, Alden Towers went through a facelift which I was a small part of. I had a chance to lease one of the units, with the bay window "castle", facing the River, for $150 a month! My X @ the time didn't want to move to Detroit. That "Gold Coast" area is really under rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Around the mid-70's, Alden Towers went through a facelift which I was a small part of. I had a chance to lease one of the units, with the bay window "castle", facing the River, for $150 a month! My X @ the time didn't want to move to Detroit. That "Gold Coast" area is really under rated.
    Yes, that's the same place I lived, in the late 80's. One of the bays on the river. SO sweet. Remember the "library" of those old dusty books one the first floor? But the perfect get-away if you didn't want to go all the way outside.

The boat races were awesome, out on the lawn. A grand place it was, maybe will be again.

Not to mention the luxury places next door at Indian Village Manor. Three beds, three baths, fireplaces, parlor, huge kitchen, dining room.......

There was an Alden Park Towers thread a year or so ago here but I cannot find it.
    I lived there from about 1980 - 1992 in three different apartments. Had a photo studio/darkroom on the 1st floor in "C" Building. By the time I moved out it was OK but starting to get a little shabby. I'm glad to know it is back. The basement hallways near the grocery store and laundry room had really old original Pewabic tiles embedded in the walls.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...hp_ref=detroit More press on the Alden Towers on Huffington Post

I think A LOT of suburbanites and out of town transplants who never considered Detroit as an option will seriously consider this development as a viable option for apartment living. You can't find anything like this anywhere else in Michigan except for Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    I think A LOT of suburbanites and out of town transplants who never considered Detroit as an option will seriously consider this development as a viable option for apartment living. You can't find anything like this anywhere else in Michigan except for Detroit.
    The view of the River and Belle Isle is spectacular! GREAT area to move to. Except for the noise from the race cars and those damn heavy metal head bangers......

I had a friend who lived there in the 70's just about the time it was undergoing some restoration. I thought it was just beautiful. Reminded me of those apartment in the movies from the 30's & 40's.

Honestly,

My first instinct was to move there myself. But I also know rents will be going up MUCH higher after the first year and as the building becomes filled.

I don't want to deal with that.

What are the rents like at that place. The website didn't have prices.

A video clip said a one bedroom runs $600.00... pretty affordable.