Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wayne State University Hotel planned @ Warren & Woodward?

I don't know if this was discussed already, but a hotel is planned for that site soon. The owner of the [[stand alone) Subway shop is planning to relocate soon to his [[just recently open) "Shawarma restaurant" next to Passport Pizza on Woodward and Willis. He [[the owner) said he receive notice to relocate this summer/fall, the building will be demolished replaced by new construction.

Wayne State is on the rise with new development, great spot for a Hotel. The gateway to the University should be this way, hopefully the Business School building is next.

I heard about this on a message board about 4 years ago.

I'm not sure if it was here or Spartantailgate.

The idea I read sounded really ambitious, almost unbelievably so.

It called for a skyrise more akin to what you find downtown.

Here's hoping.

Yeah, I agree. This is a nice move, not only for Wayne State students family and associate who visit the area but for DMC and Museums patrons and workers. Having a Hotel on that intersection is a win win development. Wondering what brand of hotel Wayne St. University is considering, might be the tallest building in Midtown? Awaiting actual plans and information publicly announced...soon.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    I heard about this on a message board about 4 years ago.

I'm not sure if it was here or Spartantailgate.

The idea I read sounded really ambitious, almost unbelievably so.

It called for a skyrise more akin to what you find downtown.

Here's hoping.
    I remember the plan was for it to rise 31 stories.

Just to let those on here know another Albert Kahn design along with a Donaldson & Meier design were razed on this proposed sight.

This will be my choice, but much taller:

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Just to let those on here know another Albert Kahn design along with a Donaldson & Meier design were razed on this proposed sight.
    Oh wow, sad. Didn't know that, do you have any photos of what was previously there?

Google Map 71 W, Warren both buildings are still showing. 71 W. Warren was designed for the Children's Aid Society by Kahn in 1931 and was a contributing building to the Warren-Prentis Historic District.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    Wondering what brand of hotel Wayne St. University is considering, might be the tallest building in Midtown? Awaiting actual plans and information publicly announced...soon.
    I remember the original rumor was Embassy Suites. I don't remember anything about it being particularly tall .

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    I remember the original rumor was Embassy Suites. I don't remember anything about it being particularly tall .
    That can work well too, here's the Embassy Suite Hotel in Houston:

Hotel is not mentioned in WSU official master plan.

http://www.facilities.wayne.edu/masterplan/sect4.pdf

it is not in the CIP either.

http://bog.wayne.edu/meetings/2012/1...2_item%20u.pdf
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; April-16-13 at 09:07 PM.

Its exciting to see development on a real-world scale continue to come to Detroit. I don't generally like to see Universities turning into developers, but I suppose they all are these days. So glad we have one in our neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Hotel is not mentioned in WSU official master plan.

http://www.facilities.wayne.edu/masterplan/sect4.pdf

it is not in the CIP either.

http://bog.wayne.edu/meetings/2012/1...2_item%20u.pdf
    I a member of the WSU academic senate and sit on the facilities committee. There was been absolutely no talk of construction on this site, either now or in the near future. Commitments for building projects in the next couple of years are already made. Furthermore, there is simply no way WSU could afford to build this given the gigantic commitment to the new research building on Cass and all the upgrading of existing buildings that is essential.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I a member of the WSU academic senate and sit on the facilities committee. There was been absolutely no talk of construction on this site, either now or in the near future. Commitments for building projects in the next couple of years are already made. Furthermore, there is simply no way WSU could afford to build this given the gigantic commitment to the new research building on Cass and all the upgrading of existing buildings that is essential.
    Well...there you have it.

So I'm confused...OP, did the owner of the Subway say that WSU was developing the lot or was that just a guess on your part?

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I agree. It sounds like someone's wish list got out and suddenly became a plan.

If you read the document, the long term plan for that area is undergraduate parking. There is a new arena in it, but no hotel. Don't shoot the messenger folks!

YAY more parking! I'm sure the Detroit Parking Lot Preservation Society will dance in the streets. It would be cheaper for WSU to run up Cass to the Boulevard; buy the St Regis from Herb Strather and develop that into a hotel. If it made a dime the bank holding Strather's loans would kiss the full Academic Senate and Gilmore right on the lips.

As far as I understood, that intersection is supposed to stay a park. It would be nice to have a hotel there, as the only legit hotel in the area is the Inn on Ferry Street.

The only news of a hotel near WSU that I've heard about is that the call for developers for phase 2 of the South University Village [[Canfield & Cass) is for retail, housing, and boutique hotel space.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    As far as I understood, that intersection is supposed to stay a park.
    I have suspected, in the cryptic slang of WSU's development department, that "green space" means "we will keep this site grass until we obtain enough of it to redevelop."

Frankly, putting parking at the main intersection of Midtown seems like a total bummer from a New Urbanism perspective.

I hope you're right...I would love to see it developed. Right now it's not a very nice park...just a field with sidewalks and a few metal benches. Woodward & Warren would be a great location for a new mid-to-high rise. I'd hate to see only parking there. Even a structure with retail would be underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    This will be my choice, but much taller:

I would want nothing like that. Cheap precast and massive parking podium.

Hideous design. Detroit needs architecture, not the developer discount special.

Why do WSU want to be in the hotel business?
    Last edited by Danny; April-17-13 at 01:25 PM.

Most universities have their own hotel.

Most universities operate on closed campuses in mid-size towns.

Makes sense. Hotel and restaurant majors should be encouraged to work there no matter who owns it for practical experience. MSU owns its own hotel and staffs it largely with students.

They help when it comes to visitors to campus [[obv), such as in job searches, speakers, etc. But also, universities host conferences frequently...it would be a nice amenity to have if you want to have regional or national events.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast