Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default BOSTON MARATHON BLASTS CNN Coverage

3 Dead In Terror Attack

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/15/explosions-near-finish-of-boston-marathon/?hpt=hp_t1

BOSTON [[MyFoxBoston.com) – Three people, including an 8-year-old boy, are among the dead following a bombing at the Boston Marathon finish line.

Two explosions, just seconds apart, tore through buildings on the north side of Boylston Street near the marathon photographer's bridge just before 3 p.m. Monday...

These were detonated when the bulk of the runners would be crossing the line, a few hours after the elite runners finished. This is so senseless and horrible.

I've jogged and run into twenty-one marathon gauntlets...even with my slow-ass finish times, there are always crowds at the finish. It is always exciting, but will never be the same after today.

One NPR celebrity had just finished the run, accompanying a blind runner the entire way, when the blasts happened. He was on the air not long afterwards...was it Peter Sagel?! They asked him why he was so calm, he said "I just ran a marathon." If you've done it right, there are no emotional reserves left...

Ugh. I hate this stuff...and your title is a bit oblique, sounds like the marathon folks were complaining about CNN's coverage of the blast.

I thought the President's address last night was good. He didn't jump to conclusions and for once seemed very reserved until we get all of the facts in. He only made one political reference, and aside from that I thought he did quite well.

One thing is for sure - When things like this happen, the retallition against those who are behind these acts must be merciless. Whether those behind it are domestic or foreign makes no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    I thought the President's address last night was good. He didn't jump to conclusions and for once seemed very reserved until we get all of the facts in. He only made one political reference, and aside from that I thought he did quite well.

One thing is for sure - When things like this happen, the retallition against those who are behind these acts must be merciless. Whether those behind it are domestic or foreign makes no difference.
    Whether or not the retaliation will be merciless may depend on who did it. The best article I've seen so far speculating on who did it suggested 1. Islamic fundamentalists connected to some organization or government or just some independent and sympathetic Islamists, 2. right wingers commemorating tax day, patriot day, Waco related events, or angry about gun control, 3. A government black flag attack, or 4. Loose screw individuals. The article provided reasons and doubts why each possibility was or wasn't viable.

We will find out soon enough who did this. Meanwhile, it's interesting to see how the bombing is played for political advantage. The President, to his credit, did not try to make political capital out of the issue in is first press briefing.

Contradiction-
    "
    U.S. law enforcement officials said Tuesday that a Saudi national injured in the Boston Marathon bombing is regarded as a witness, not a suspect."

"FBI, BostonPD "very interested in " Saudi person of interest."
    Last edited by oladub; April-16-13 at 12:40 PM.

it makes no difference to the bottom line, which is that Muslims are extremely violent
    Another gem from the ever-lovely Debbie Schlussel, posted on her blog.

What is it about the third week of April?

April 15 Boston Marathon
    April 16 Virginia Tech
    April 19 Waco
    April 19 Oklahoma City
    April 20 Columbine

I have been wondering this for years with four tragedies happening this week, and now there is a fifth.

Is it completely random? Does a long, seemingly never-ending winter factor in, contributing to causing a mentally insane person to go over the brink?

Is it completely random?
    OK city bombing was done on the same date as Waco on purpose. Not sure about the others. I've seen speculation that yesterday's attack might be connected to Patriot's Day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot%27s_day

To be fair to the newspaper, this is the same police department whom, a few years ago, thought a few randomly placed LED promotional signs were bombs.

Oladub, was it you that posted that link to the photos of the men with the backpacks yesterday? Why did you delete the post? I thought the photos were very compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Oladub, was it you that posted that link to the photos of the men with the backpacks yesterday? Why did you delete the post? I thought the photos were very compelling.
    Downtown Lady, I thought that it was compelling too but very iffy considering the source. The most compelling part to me was that the blow ups showed details of the backpacks as worn and later as what was left over of them. The little zipper was the same and the markings. However, shortly after posting, I came across some photos of some other guys with the same khaki pants, black jackets and beige combat boots and with guns drawn. They, that article said, were employed by a Blackwater type firm; Craft International. That begs the questions of what was this private police force doing there, what are the chances of having the same backpacks and similar attire, and how deep can coincidence go. It even raises the question of a black flag operation and I didn't want to go there. I figured it was quickly getting over my head, so I pulled the link.

After I pulled it, I came across a couple of possibly unrelated articles about the Saudi "person of interest" who had been tackled for suspicious behavior and then cooped up in a hospital for burnt hands. There were pictures of him. He was supposed to have been here on a student visa studying English although someone with his name in the Boston area was listed as an airplane mechanic; maybe a different guy; another coincidence. I opened his Facebook sight and it looked innocent enough. He had something like 5 of 84 Facebook friends who didn't have Muslim names maybe indicating that he hadn't been here long or wasn't assimilating. One non-Facebook article claimed that his white head gear and black head band he wore were a mark of the Saudi royal family. It was his apartment that was raided and whose things were carted off. Eventually, the FBI declared that he was not longer a person of interest and innocent. Then a Saudi ambassador had an unscheduled meeting with our President and the Saudi student in question was whisked of to Saudi Arabia. While being an interesting footnote, I was reminded of how when all air traffic was grounded after 9/11, one plane was allowed to fly off with members of the Bin Laden family. Maybe the kid had just overstayed his visa and the ambassador guy had to clear that up.

One thing I'm curious about is that while our government is claiming the bomber "was trapped by his phone" and that it has photos of the bombers, there have been no arrests. Why, I wonder, isn't the government making the photos public so the public can help provide leads?

compelling? how so? in the one photo, it appears that at least one of the men has an access pass attached to the zipper, other photos fail to do anything with odd circles and arrows that show me nothing. one points out a blue pack, while the reports say the packs were black. Oh! one has a zippered pouch! try to find a backpack without one.

The most interesting picture, in my mind, is

which seems to show a white guy and a backpack that exploded that seemingly has similar details to the one he is carrying

are they possible suspects? sure, but from the photos, I see nothing conclusive

Absolutely, rb336, there is nothing conclusive. It appears that to some degree you found the photos compelling as well.

My prayers to the victims of the Boston Marathon Bombings. Americans will not give in to FEAR! NEVER!

Correction: I wrote that the Saudi English student, Abdul Rahman Ali Alharbi,
    had been whisked off to Sauri Arabia. That probably hasn't happened yet. Interesting claims, meanwhile, are being made about his visa status. As with many things at this stage of the Marathon saga, not much can be confirmed. In his hospital picture with a Saudi dignitary, Abdul seems to have pretty well recovered from having burned his hands.

The false flag allegations against the Craft International guys are just silly. Having guys wearing tactical gear and baseball caps with their logo on them [[a punisher-style skull) pull off a false flag operation kind of defeats the purpose.

What were the Craft guys doing there? Well, they're a security consulting firm, I don't think it's a crazy to assume they were helping out with security somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Absolutely, rb336, there is nothing conclusive. It appears that to some degree you found the photos compelling as well.
    only the one, really.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    The false flag allegations against the Craft International guys are just silly. Having guys wearing tactical gear and baseball caps with their logo on them [[a punisher-style skull) pull off a false flag operation kind of defeats the purpose.

What were the Craft guys doing there? Well, they're a security consulting firm, I don't think it's a crazy to assume they were helping out with security somehow.
    Brainstorming and asking questions do not always lead to answers and can be unsettling if that is what you meant by 'silly'. However I agree with the rest of your comments. I never heard of Craft International before. As Craft might have been there doing "security consulting" as you suggest, more questions arise. Who hired them and why? I guess I have more questions than answers.

Since there wasn't a thread here about the fellow who was arrested for sending ricin letters to a Senator and the President, i might as well post his photo here. I can't explain the contradiction. I mean, why don't Democrats
    buy Fords and GM cars to employ UAW workers?

Last edited by oladub; April-18-13 at 03:33 PM.

I saw an alleged "FBI surveillance tape" a little while ago. SO many people wearing black backpacks

Remember, marathoners, even when it is chilly, generally are wearing shorts and a tee. Often family/friends will meet them with a change of clothes at the end of the race - and they probably carry it in a backpack

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I saw an alleged "FBI surveillance tape" a little while ago. SO many people wearing black backpacks

Remember, marathoners, even when it is chilly, generally are wearing shorts and a tee. Often family/friends will meet them with a change of clothes at the end of the race - and they probably carry it in a backpack
    IIRC: After the Detroit marathon [[which was chilly) a lot of people were running around with those silver blankets. No idea what they are made of, but they are peculiar to say the least. Of course this has nothing to do with the topic at hand though.

A Little Reminder, From Wednesday, October 13, 2004:

U.S. security officials are investigating a recent intelligence report that a group of 25 Chechen terrorists illegally entered the United States from Mexico in July.

The Chechen group is suspected of having links to Islamist terrorists seeking to separate the southern enclave of Chechnya from Russia, according to officials familiar with intelligence reports.

Members of the group, said to be wearing backpacks, secretly traveled to northern Mexico and crossed into a mountainous part of Arizona that is difficult for U.S. border security agents to monitor, said officials speaking on the condition of anonymity.
    Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2QuTmuY7G

Closing the border is "racist", some say.
    Now the extreme vision of a warped "political correctness" has a body count to go along with it.
    Last edited by Papasito; April-19-13 at 07:06 AM.

Glad to see this!

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    A Little Reminder, From Wednesday, October 13, 2004:
    U.S. security officials are investigating a recent intelligence report that a group of 25 Chechen terrorists illegally entered the United States from Mexico in July.

The Chechen group is suspected of having links to Islamist terrorists seeking to separate the southern enclave of Chechnya from Russia, according to officials familiar with intelligence reports.

Members of the group, said to be wearing backpacks, secretly traveled to northern Mexico and crossed into a mountainous part of Arizona that is difficult for U.S. border security agents to monitor, said officials speaking on the condition of anonymity.
    Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2QuTmuY7G

Closing the border is "racist", some say.
    Now the extreme vision of a warped "political correctness" has a body count to go along with it.
    except these two have lived in the US since they were kids. There were also reports in 2004 that the US/UK were providing support for chechen groups.

oh - and chechens are caucasian
    Last edited by rb336; April-19-13 at 08:12 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast