Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

View Poll Results: Best compromise for safety and walkability/interesting and involved neighborhood?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Corktown

12 25.53%
  • Downtown

15 31.91%
  • Midtown

17 36.17%
  • New Center

4 8.51%
  • Woodbridge

9 19.15%
  • Hamtramck

6 12.77%
  • Further South/west than Corktown

6 12.77%
  • Ferndale

10 21.28%
  • Royal Oak

16 34.04%
  • Plymouth

11 23.40%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

To the OP. Detroit is not safe.

My opinion is that of a 36 year old white male living with his girlfriend. I grew up in the Western suburbs and moved to Detroit when I was 19.

I lived at the Jeffersonian Apartments for a year, Shoreline East for two, then moved to Woodbridge for four years. When I got married, the wife wanted to own a house on a block so she could garden. We moved to Field Ave. in the Villages. The wife split after four years, but not before we bought a second home on the same street.

This neighborhood is tops and I put services on par with any I experienced growing up. There are also three good grocers as well as Eastern Market. Belle Isle is here. Gabriel Richard Park and the Riverwalk are at the end of my street. Downtown is five minutes by car. Bus service is really solid and the streets are very walkable. There are also great private school choices.

We're only twenty minutes from Dearborn, so do yourself a big favor and check us out. And wherever you settle, welcome to Detroit!

http://thevillagesofdetroit.com/

http://www.modeldmedia.com/startupne...oit103012.aspx

One rule for commuting is to try and live east of your workplace. If you live to the west [[like living in Ann Arbor and working in Dearborn), you have the sun in your eyes on both legs of the commute.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    One rule for commuting is to try and live east of your workplace. If you live to the west [[like living in Ann Arbor and working in Dearborn), you have the sun in your eyes on both legs of the commute.
    But also, possibly less traffic [[Grosse Pointe to Dearborn, for example)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    But also, possibly less traffic [[Grosse Pointe to Dearborn, for example)
    Only after making it through that ugly collection prior to I-75, and the knot of confusion between there and I-96. That portion is too random to handle every day.

Nothing east of Woodward is an easy and consistently quick commute to Dearborn, unfortunately. And the weather affects that same stretch much worse than most other roads in town...both rain and snow.

Go Corktown!

The OP likes urban living, has a one year old, and works in Dearborn.

Currently winning on DetroitYes? Royal Oak.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Bye bye, good luck

On top of Corktown, an area I find more livable is Hubbard Farms. Not only does the area have great architecture there is a functioning business district, something most of the city is lacking. Also for me the neighborhood seems to be more cohesive. A link to their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hubba...006805?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    The OP likes urban living, has a one year old, and works in Dearborn.

Currently winning on DetroitYes? Royal Oak.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
    LOL, to be fair, the poll asks about safety. I answered the poll before I read the OP. Come back to Earth, it's safe again!

Your property isnt. Difficult to argue otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    On top of Corktown, an area I find more livable is Hubbard Farms. Not only does the area have great architecture there is a functioning business district, something most of the city is lacking. Also for me the neighborhood seems to be more cohesive. A link to their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hubba...006805?fref=ts
    My brother is now considering moving to Detroit and I've been told to refer him to Hubbard Farms. Is Hubbard Farms the proper name for Mexicantown or is it a different area? Being a Texan, Mexicantown is one of my favorite areas because it reminds me of home, though I don't make it there nearly enough...

Hi,
    Maybe someone else said it earlier, but you NEED to rent first and then learn the city for awhile. at that point you can make a rational judgement as to where you want to buy.
    If you choose downtown Detroit [[corktown, midtown, lafayette park, etc.) a great private school is located on St. Aubin & Lafayette. It is called Friends School. They are a national with branches across the country. President Obama sends his kids to the one in D.C.
    Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    My brother is now considering moving to Detroit and I've been told to refer him to Hubbard Farms. Is Hubbard Farms the proper name for Mexicantown or is it a different area? Being a Texan, Mexicantown is one of my favorite areas because it reminds me of home, though I don't make it there nearly enough...
    Hubbard Farms is an Historic District within Mexicantown.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/LinkClick.a...=3096&mid=4357

One of my favorite homes in Hubbard Farms. You will not find anything like this in Corktown. Designed by one of Detroit's better firms MacFarlane, Maul & Lentz.

Designed by MacFarlane, Maul & Lentz.

1015 Vinewood built in 1916 Hubbard Farms Historic District Detroit, Mi.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by p69rrh51; April-16-13 at 11:41 AM.

On the other end of the block on Lafayette another of my favorites. Designed by Alvin Harley. Unfortunately the home is in need of a little TLC.

3960 West Lafayette built in 1912 Hubbard Farms Historic District Detroit, MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    The neighborhoods aren't "urban" of course, but Detroit certainly is. It's about proximity to things a real city offers. Culture, sports, entertainment, dining, diversity of people and cultures, events, etc.
    When you use this definition of "urban", then I agree. That's definitely Detroit's appeal. I wouldn't define urban in that manner [[to me, urbanity is related to density, walkability, and certain housing typologies, rather than concentrations of restaurants, sports, or other amenities) but I see what you mean.

I'm still not sure that Detroit offers most of these amenities relative to the suburbs [[culture, yes, sports, yes, dining probably no, diversity definitely no), but I can see the general argument. Using this definition of urban, I do think you run into problems. West Los Angeles would be urban, and downtown Los Angeles probably wouldn't. The Woodward Corridor in Oakland County may be urban, and Northeast or Northwest Detroit probably wouldn't.

I still wish that people wouldn't conflate "urban" with the Detroit issues we frequently discuss, though. An area doesn't have elevated crime because it's urban. Vienna isn't dangerous because it's urban, and Inkster isn't safe because it's suburban. Traditional definitions of urbanity aren't related to the issues that stigmatize Detroit.
    Last edited by Bham1982; April-16-13 at 11:20 AM.

I'm very pro-Detroit...but to be honest, I only see Midtown [[and even at that, close to Wayne State) as someplace I'd suggest to an out-of-towner to move for an "urban" experience. To me, it's really tough to gauge an outsider's mindset. Many are shocked that there's "nothing" in Detroit...others fall in love with the city. Based on what jmc has said, I only feel comfortable sticking to Midtown.

Midtown has some unique local restaurants/stores [[not a huge amount by SF standards). It's probably the safest part of the city because it has Detroit Police and Wayne State University police patrolling...and the Wayne County Sherriff's office is there too. It is the most consistently active area, since there's a university, art college, and medical center there...as well as museums.

Downtown is okay...but everything closes if its not during business hours or an event. Also, despite some recent & upcoming developments, there's still many unused buildings downtown. During a festival or Tigers' game, you'll feel like you're in the middle of the action...then when a random event-free Saturday comes around, you will see just how far downtown still needs to come to be a 24/7 spot.

Corktown, I have a tough time endorsing. I don't live there, so my impression is only from visits. The nice neighborhood part seems relatively small and isolated. Yes, there's some restaurants/pubs that are walkable, but you have to run across Michigan Ave, which is wide and poorly maintained [[old worn bricks with patches of tar), to get to them. And there's many empty lots and abandoned warehouses once you leave the nice part of Corktown.

Woodbridge seems decent, if you want a neighborhood feel. I'd prefer it over Corktown. However, the neighborhood itself lacks any real retail or restaurants. You'd have to drive.

Southwest Detroit...no way. Ironically, it actually has walkable retail & restaurants. However, it has gangs and crime and other stuff you wouldn't want to deal with.

New Center, I wouldn't choose there myself. There are some decent homes, but I just see other nearby areas [[i.e. Midtown, Woodbridge) as more appealing.

So, if you really want Detroit, I'd suggest Midtown.

However, if safety and schools are major concerns, I can't help but suggest suburban areas. Royal Oak near their downtown is nice. If you can afford Birmingham, that would be my top choice. It has walkable neighborhoods and a nice suburban downtown. You mentioned Plymouth...personally, I think nearby Northville is nicer. And, hell, if you'd want to commute...Ann Arbor might be the best choice overall.

Downtown is okay...but everything closes if its not during business hours or an event.
    Off the top of my head, the following stay open til night, many, if not most, til or past midnight: Motor City Wine, Grand Foran, Buffalo Wild Wings, Texas de Brazil, Hard Rock Cafe, Skybar Lounge, London Chop House, Roast, Detroit Beer Company, Small Plates, Vicente's Cuban, 24 Grille, Cliff Bells, Bucharest Grill, Park Bar, Bookies, Centaur, Coach Insignia, Coaches Corner, Hockeytown, Fountain Bistro, Detroit Seafood Market, Rub Pub, Dirty Trick, Andiamo's...I'm sure there's more but those are mostly just the places I've been to when I go out at night. Oh and the Coneys, of course! I've heard people say Detroit shuts down at night - and some places do - but there's plenty that stays open.

Then you have all of Greektown, if you include that in downtown, which has several bars and restaurants open all night.
    Woodbridge seems decent, if you want a neighborhood feel. I'd prefer it over Corktown. However, the neighborhood itself lacks any real retail or restaurants. You'd have to drive.
    I walk and bike to Midtown from Woodbridge. It's a mile from the middle of Woodbridge through Wayne State University to the first section of bars and restaurants on Second [[like Bronx Bar, Motor City Brewing Works, Traffic Jam & Snug). Although we do have an awesome neighborhood bar of our own in Woodbridge Pub - you'll want to branch out. And Woodbridge is also covered by Wayne State police, like Midtown, since we butt right up against Wayne State University.

The issue with Midtown is that it's a little more transient - a lot of students and young professionals who will be moving on in a few years. There aren't as many neighborhoods with single family houses or walkup units. It's mostly lofts, apartments, and condos.

The rest I can't comment on as I haven't lived there or spent enough time there to know what it's like to live there...although I don't think crossing Michigan Avenue is a big impediment to enjoying the bars and restaurants along the strip. I do agree that Corktown seems a bit isolated. It's just a small neighborhood.
    Last edited by TexasT; April-16-13 at 12:05 PM.

He has a baby. A baby. Does anyone really think a baby is going to enjoy the joy found at The Bronx, Forans, The Fillmore, Ellwood, Comet, Harry's, Town Pump or Roast?

a baby.

are you people daff?

A mewing, puking, pooping bundle of joy and you silly folks are suggesting they push the pram right through the front door of the Temple Bar.

i hear they have a great babysitting service.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    He has a baby. A baby. Does anyone really think a baby is going to enjoy the joy found at The Bronx, Forans, The Fillmore, Ellwood, Comet, Harry's, Town Pump or Roast?
    In my experience, babies don't really care where they are. A bar is probably as good as anywhere else, as long as people aren't smoking.

JWC 247, welcome to Detroit. Your spouse and you as new parents undoubtedly know that family centered activities will occupy more and more of your time as your child gets older, and especially so if your family grows. Social time with friends will also mean time with children unless a full time aux pair is part of your plans. Picking a community/neighborhood that helps you cultivate quality family time will be very important.

"Safe" Detroit neighborhoods that satisfy this goal and which are close to Downtown are few but they do exist. Lafayette Park, Corktown and Woodbridge have growing numbers of young families and would be good choices for you. These neighborhoods have many urban qualities but their walkability scores do not compare at all to desirable neighborhoods in Chicago, San Francisco, Philly, Manhattan or Brooklyn. Most daily amenities are close by, but will require a car. Decent housing in these neighborhoods will cost about $50-$75 per square foot. A little bit further distant from Downtown are the Villages which also provide a fine family environment. Much larger homes can be found there but the cost per square foot is actually about the same as Corktown, etc. For example, if you think that your future family size might require 7 bedrooms, you might take a look at this nice place for $50/sq.ft. http://www.oconnordetroit.com/proper...750_iroq/1.htm

These neighborhoods are all relatively close to good private/parochial elementary schools [[Friends School, Detroit Waldorf, Holy Trinity).

Find a good Realtor. Also find a knowledgeable local person who can show you both Detroit and possible suburban neighborhoods. You will probably have to look beyond your future employer for such a guide. There's a good chance none of your new co-workers have first-hand experience residing in Detroit unless they are a bit older and lived there as a child. Try DHive Detroit for a guide. http://dhivedetroit.org/
    Last edited by swingline; April-16-13 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

a baby.

are you people daff?

A mewing, puking, pooping bundle of joy and you silly folks are suggesting they push the pram right through the front door of the Temple Bar.

i hear they have a great babysitting service.
    I have friends with babies and even they manage a night away from the baby every now and then and meet us at the aforementioned bars, which is why I included them on the list. When we were discussing places that stay open late, I assumed they wouldn't have a child with them at 10 or 11 pm.

As far as with the kid, Woodbridge Pub hosts our monthly Woodbridge family get-togethers and kids are invited, so I would assume there are some family friendly places within the ones I mentioned. Other than that, I take my Little from Big Bro/Big Sisters to places in Greektown [[she loves Astoria). I also plan to take her to Mercury Burger for a Boston Cooler, Slows, the burger stand they open up on Campus Martius in the summer when they bring out the giant outdoor games, American/Lafayette Coneys, Hard Rock Cafe, etc. Can't comment on a baby but for a kid it's fine...
    Last edited by TexasT; April-16-13 at 12:53 PM.

Good luck finding anything for sale in either Woodbridge or Corktown. I've been looking for months, and its rare to find any listings. I believe right now there is one listing in Corktown. Nothing in Woodbridge.

You have no business thinking of bringing a child into harm's way. As far as I'm concerned, that is child endangerment. I grew up in Detroit and lived there 40 years. When my child couldn't ride his bike down our street....in one of the best areas...without fear of getting shot, it was time to get the heck out. It isn't a matter of just being vigilant, street smart and doing normal things to protect yourself, family and property. Detroit criminal scum is not normal. They have no regard for human life..they'd just as soon shoot you for fun. Don't fall for the "this neighborhood or that neighborhood is safe or great". Misery loves company and they figure if they are surviving and managing, you should be able to too. Think of your child...who could be made parentless by some street thug. You can make your home a virtually fortress, but you have to go out sometime. I don't understand the thinking of those who CHOOSE to move into or live in such a dangerous place. Some have no way to escape, and I understand that. But some... Death wish??? Many on this site won't like what I'm saying, but they know deep down it is the truth.

Oh Lordy, grumpyoldlady. There are certainly areas in Detroit where armed thugs don't rom up and own the streets looking for kids to shoot.

but look, OP, Detroit is dangerous. It has the highest murder rate in the US. It's no joke.

I don't think you are crazy for wanting to move to Detroit with a kid. I have two toddlers and I'm planning a move.

but you need to know what you are getting into.

There is no cutesy, urban walkable neighborhood in Detroit. Your vision of taking the kid to brunch, then going to the dog park, and walking around looking n shops... That doesn't exist in Detroit. There is so much emptiness. Ou can't conceive of the size and emptiness of Detroit. Areas that are coming back still have so much emptiness. There aren't parks. Not really.

We are looking in Sherwood Forest -Parlmer Park -Green Acres area. The houses are huge 1930s Tudors. So it feels a bit burb like, but with great houses. Easy to drive to downtown, to Ferndale and Royal Oak.

Really reconsider anything on th east side. Until you hit Grosse Zpoint, East Detroit is the worst but also the commute woul be killer.

Dearborn is not bad. It's lose to Corktown and downtown Detroit.

I wanted to buy a big mansion in Boston Edison but I'm being scared off by the neighborhood.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast