Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

View Poll Results: Best compromise for safety and walkability/interesting and involved neighborhood?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Corktown

12 25.53%
  • Downtown

15 31.91%
  • Midtown

17 36.17%
  • New Center

4 8.51%
  • Woodbridge

9 19.15%
  • Hamtramck

6 12.77%
  • Further South/west than Corktown

6 12.77%
  • Ferndale

10 21.28%
  • Royal Oak

16 34.04%
  • Plymouth

11 23.40%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDrizzly View Post
    There is no cutesy, urban walkable neighborhood in Detroit. Your vision of taking the kid to brunch, then going to the dog park, and walking around looking n shops... That doesn't exist in Detroit. There is so much emptiness. Ou can't conceive of the size and emptiness of Detroit. Areas that are coming back still have so much emptiness. There aren't parks. Not really.

We are looking in Sherwood Forest -Parlmer Park -Green Acres area. The houses are huge 1930s Tudors. So it feels a bit burb like, but with great houses. Easy to drive to downtown, to Ferndale and Royal Oak.
    Well, there isn't a dog park, but you can certainly walk to brunch or to the Gesu Community Playground from a house in the University District. Also, although there are plenty of Tudors [[not all from the 30's) there are many other housing types in a reasonable range of sizes in the areas you mention.

I wanted to buy a big mansion in Boston Edison but I'm being scared off by the neighborhood.

If you like large, there is a good-sized house on a large lot for sale on Fairway at the moment, although it is not really my cup of tea:
    http://www.trulia.com/property/30583...troit-MI-48221

There are also a couple of large houses for sale in Palmer Woods right now, but they are comparatively expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    You have no business thinking of bringing a child into harm's way. As far as I'm concerned, that is child endangerment. I grew up in Detroit and lived there 40 years. When my child couldn't ride his bike down our street....in one of the best areas...without fear of getting shot, it was time to get the heck out. It isn't a matter of just being vigilant, street smart and doing normal things to protect yourself, family and property. Detroit criminal scum is not normal. They have no regard for human life..they'd just as soon shoot you for fun. Don't fall for the "this neighborhood or that neighborhood is safe or great". Misery loves company and they figure if they are surviving and managing, you should be able to too. Think of your child...who could be made parentless by some street thug. You can make your home a virtually fortress, but you have to go out sometime. I don't understand the thinking of those who CHOOSE to move into or live in such a dangerous place. Some have no way to escape, and I understand that. But some... Death wish??? Many on this site won't like what I'm saying, but they know deep down it is the truth.
    This is Hall of Fame troll material.

You didn't mention that I noticed where you were commuting to. If the commute is in downtown Detroit then Grosse Pointe is only about 7 miles away. It is a leafy 1920s-30s suburb that has great amenities. If your commute is "downtown" you don't have the sun in your eyes on either the morning or evening commute.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4