Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Another Federal Lawsuit Filed Against EM [[DPS)

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...-sues-EM-state

Detroit
    — The former interim superintendent of Detroit Public Schools is suing Emergency Manager Roy Roberts, the governor and state treasurer in federal court, alleging his termination violates his due process rights and the contracts clause of the U.S. Constitution.

John Telford filed a 19-page complaint Friday in U.S. District Court in Detroit, accusing Roberts, Gov. Rick Snyder and Treasurer Andy Dillon of violating his 14th Amendment right to due process when he was fired March 28, the day the state's new Public Act 436 took effect.

Mr. Telford, and exactly how does this help DPS?

Very glorious in theory to fight the man. Ignorant to do so when you so desperately need help. This is like a mentally ill patient resisting medication.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Mr. Telford, and exactly how does this help DPS?

Very glorious in theory to fight the man. Ignorant to do so when you so desperately need help. This is like a mentally ill patient resisting medication.
    What's the problem? Give him 10 years severance, [[$10), and send him on his way.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What's the problem? Give him 10 years severance, [[$10), and send him on his way.
    I'd give the $10 myself, if it would work. The fact that he won't go away is a demonstration of the problem. Detroit has Telford. Southfield [[as per Fahle's show the other day) has leadership that is embarking on bold experiments. You might not agree with them, but they are doing things.

Does it really matter? Because Roy Roberts is an idiot anyway. His announcement this week that he was going to draw 28,000 students back to DPS [[if not more) by making all staff take a class in courtesy was beyond laughable. This is the equivalent of announcing during the bombardment of Pearl Harbor that you've banned profanity. This is SO not the critical problem. And if it's all he has for solutions, DPS remains a place where young minds go to die. [[It also remains a primary reason for the decline of the non brand name neighborhoods as working families - those who have a choice and care about their children's education - continue their exodus)

I am so tired of these Big 3 retreads, in which I include Dave Bing, who was propped up by them as well. I think I understand now why they all almost went under.

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    Does it really matter? Because Roy Roberts is an idiot anyway. His announcement this week that he was going to draw 28,000 students back to DPS [[if not more) by making all staff take a class in courtesy was beyond laughable. This is the equivalent of announcing during the bombardment of Pearl Harbor that you've banned profanity. This is SO not the critical problem. And if it's all he has for solutions, DPS remains a place where young minds go to die. [[It also remains a primary reason for the decline of the non brand name neighborhoods as working families - those who have a choice and care about their children's education - continue their exodus)

I am so tired of these Big 3 retreads, in which I include Dave Bing, who was propped up by them as well. I think I understand now why they all almost went under.
    Yes, it matters.

Even if Roberts is an 'idiot', we still need to support reform in DPS. One should support reform even if Roberts isn't the right person.

Structure matters. There's nothing wrong with banning profanity after Pearl Harbor. Of course it wasn't the only thing that matters. I see many of us stuck with the idea that because EFM/EM isn't a perfect tool, that it shouldn't be used. I don't get that logic. Of course its imperfect. So are we. We all should strive for betterment anyway.

It's also a fallacy to accept any type of change for the sake of change.

If we're going to reform something, at least give all of the options the proper vetting process before implementing them.

WE're talking about people's lives that are impacted by these changes, not just numbers on a balance sheet.

The big problem with DPS is that there is too much change. They don't give programs/reforms a chance to work before switching them up. I've had so many "reforms" and "programs" in my employ with DPS that I lost count. If something is to work, it needs time to work. DPS doesn't allow for that time. Big money spent on reform only to throw it out the window when the next person, with their own agenda, comes in. Frankly, I am tired of it. I forge on and do my thing in my classroom that benefits my kids, to hell with the reforms. I've had to do it that way because all of the reforms were hurting my kids. I do what I need to do to have them be successful in college/career training. I know what my kids need and I give them what they need.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    The big problem with DPS is that there is too much change. They don't give programs/reforms a chance to work before switching them up. I've had so many "reforms" and "programs" in my employ with DPS that I lost count. If something is to work, it needs time to work. DPS doesn't allow for that time. Big money spent on reform only to throw it out the window when the next person, with their own agenda, comes in. Frankly, I am tired of it. I forge on and do my thing in my classroom that benefits my kids, to hell with the reforms. I've had to do it that way because all of the reforms were hurting my kids. I do what I need to do to have them be successful in college/career training. I know what my kids need and I give them what they need.
    This is why centralized education is a bad idea. If Detroit was 6 separate districts with little central control, ideas could be tried out and given time.

We don't tolerate failure. One failure, and you're out. Success often isn't so obvious and easy.