Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Those deathcicles that hang down from the I696 bridges over the freeway...

They're gone with the mild weather, but am I the only one who drives by those things and thinks "I guess if my number is up, my number is up".

Lets see, I'm traveling typically about 75mph when I go under those things.

Some of the larger one's look like they can weigh 2-3 lbs, and they're pointed.

Now my windshield would be hitting the side of the icicle as it fell, so I guess the point doesn't really come into play unless I was parked beneath it...in which case the 85 mph Chevy becomes my problem rather than the icicle.

Does anyone look at those things as they drive beneath them and think...they can't ALWAYS just melt safely away...can they?

TUS

Are you talking about the ones that sometimes hang from the 3 large overpasses for Orthodox Jews in the Oak Park/Southfield area near Greenfield?

Hey, if it's your time, kiss your behind goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Are you talking about the ones that sometimes hang from the 3 large overpasses for Orthodox Jews in the Oak Park/Southfield area near Greenfield?
    Yup, those are the ones. Whenever I see them I think...shouldn't someone knock them down when they get too large.

In certain conditions...they can get REALLY big...and they've got to be heavy.

Sometimes they get so long that I figure a semi-truck antenna or traffic vibration must occasionally cause them to loosen and fall.
    Last edited by TheUsualSuspect; April-12-13 at 03:59 PM.

The state has had some serious problems with maintaining those overpasses. It's one of the reasons I balk at the thought of them "bridging" I-375 downtown. More icycles... bad.