Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Crawfish Boil in Detroit?

Anyone know of any place in Metro Detroit or the surrounding area that has a crawfish boil or, at the least, sells fresh crawfish?

I'm sorely missing this southern rite of spring and I am hopeful with the pretty good offering of southern cuisine up in this area, I could find a mudbug party somewhere around here.
    Last edited by TexasT; April-12-13 at 02:28 PM.

Head on down to Fishbone's Greektown, Southfield, or St. Clair Shores and get your Louisiana Crawfish Boil on.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; April-12-13 at 02:37 PM.

Start your own boil party. I don't eat 'em but I remember visiting Southern University and Grambling University over spring break many years ago with a friend who was from Louisiana and there were literally hundreds of small groups of people sitting around chatting, eating crawfish with red fingers.

I miss living in the south. So friendly, so relaxing and so inviting. So many beautiful girls!

So anyone else on this page remember the Beverly Hillbillies episode where Jethro hangs out with the beatnik's and invites them home to smoke crawdaddies with granny?

"Your granny smokes crawdaddies? She must be one cool chick! You think she'll let us smoke some too?" -- one of the beatnik's

Sorry, but whenever I hear craw-anything I think of that show.
    Last edited by TheUsualSuspect; April-12-13 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    Start your own boil party. I don't eat 'em but I remember visiting Southern University and Grambling University over spring break many years ago with a friend who was from Louisiana and there were literally hundreds of small groups of people sitting around chatting, eating crawfish with red fingers.

I miss living in the south. So friendly, so relaxing and so inviting. So many beautiful girls!
    Thinking about it. The problem has been finding live crawfish. I tried that fish market in Eastern Market when I first moved here last summer and they didn't have it. I haven't tried Gratiot Central Market, though. I did just find this website which will fly you fresh live crawfish - I'm probably going to try that out.

http://www.lacrawfish.com/Crawfish-ONLY-C90.aspx

If I ever get a craving, sounds like I can satisfy it at Fishbone's at least. But crawfish requires a boil party, music, and beer - might be odd to eat it in a fancy restaurant, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    ...If I ever get a craving, sounds like I can satisfy it at Fishbone's at least. But crawfish requires a boil party, music, and beer - might be odd to eat it in a fancy restaurant, lol.
    If you go at the right time of the evening...with your friends...you can catch some terrific live music at Fishbones and party hearty/hardy while you enjoy "the boil"!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Thinking about it. The problem has been finding live crawfish. I tried that fish market in Eastern Market when I first moved here last summer and they didn't have it. I haven't tried Gratiot Central Market, though. I did just find this website which will fly you fresh live crawfish - I'm probably going to try that out.

http://www.lacrawfish.com/Crawfish-ONLY-C90.aspx

If I ever get a craving, sounds like I can satisfy it at Fishbone's at least. But crawfish requires a boil party, music, and beer - might be odd to eat it in a fancy restaurant, lol.
    You will get all of that at Fishbones and more.

Howes Bayou in Ferndale, much better than Fishbones imo.

Hmm, what other fish specialities do they have/ do you recommend? I'd like to check them out. I don't do crawfish... just cant do it... to 'insecty' for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Howes Bayou in Ferndale, much better than Fishbones imo.

There's a pretty big fish market on Conant in Hamtramck. For what it's worth, my buddy has held a boil party at his place for the last two years and I know he flies them in.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hmm, what other fish specialities do they have/ do you recommend? I'd like to check them out. I don't do crawfish... just cant do it... to 'insecty' for me.
    The crawdads are good but I usually get the voodoo shrimp. Blackened catfish is good too, as well as the gumbo. They have a crawfish boil as well. Nice bourbon selection is a real plus. Fishbones is fun for the music and atmosphere, but food wise Howes is better.

http://www.howesbayouferndale.net/menus.htm

The seafood store next to Cost Plus sells frozen crawfish - don't know the origin.

Lager House had a crawfish boil last year and there was one in Wyandotte during their art fair at one of the restaurants on Biddle.

Belle Isle has fresh crawfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    The crawdads are good but I usually get the voodoo shrimp. Blackened catfish is good too, as well as the gumbo. They have a crawfish boil as well. Nice bourbon selection is a real plus. Fishbones is fun for the music and atmosphere, but food wise Howes is better.

http://www.howesbayouferndale.net/menus.htm
    Howe's Bayou was originally started by Tom Brandel of Tom's Oyster Bar. He sold it years ago, but it has changed little since then and is a great place to go.

Went to Howe's Bayou and got the boil today. It was okay ... I'm certain it was frozen crawfish and while that's just to be expected when you can't get them up here like you can back home, it really affects the taste and texture. But the seasoning was good! The crawdads they served were just little guys though [[again, to be expected) and the presentation is different than I'm used to [[no potatoes, no corn, was served in boil sauce). I'm used to this:

That's what I meant when I said it'd be weird to eat it in a restaurant [[although the husband and I agreed that we can see it being a good boil party in that atrium in Fishbones).

But the menu looked really appetizing and had a lot of my favorite Cajun dishes [[my family is East Texan, on the state border, and hails originally from Louisiana). I will have to return to try the rest of their offerings when I make it back to Ferndale.

And I'm staying on top of Lager House to see if they're going to host another boil, though I've already made up my mind on hosting my own boil and having friends over.

Thanks for the recommendations all!

I think they have some kind of a whale boil downriver somewhere.....