Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Transparency and Mayor Bing

We know that Bing has been camera shy as Mayor but this is getting rediculous.

He is unavailable for comment on Chief barren being fired.

Now he refuses to make people from the finance department available for comment in the emergency check abuse investigation by the Free Press

The form requesting the check was not fully completed, but Audrey Jackson, the Finance Department's deputy director, signed it anyway.

Detroit Mayor Dave Bing's administration refused to make Jackson available to the Free Press for comment.
    The Free Press submitted several questions to White through Bing's office about specific emergency checks issued during White's first stint as chief financial officer, such as $2,750 for the Recreation Department to participate in a June 2008 event in Atlanta without any Finance Department leaders' written authorization.

The Free Press also asked why the emergency check process was heavily used under White's leadership and whether White could explain some of the expenses.

Bing spokeswoman Meagan Pitts said White was "unavailable for comment regarding the questions ... about the quick check process."

I think Bing is to busy today to make any comments. The NFB, National Federation of the Blind, is in town for their national convention this weekend and they are making Bing an honorary member. He's been working hard to live up to their qualifications.

LOL Homer. Unfortunately, Bing's lack of visibility is too true. I'm still trying to figure out why it took him until Friday to say anything about Tuesday's teen shooting. Any other mayor would've been on the scene & in front of the cameras right away.

I think Dave Bing is busy keeping the mayor's seat warm for Kwame's comeback..

Remember... the fact that he is seen less than the Governor of South Carolina simply means he is working hard for the city.

Default It's not just me?

I must say I'm a little relieved to see Free Press reporters having the same problems getting to the mayor and his minions, public officials who spend public money. I'm sort of happy to see it isn't just me...I've had the exact same experience with his "spokeswomen" Karen Dumas AND his #2 Meaghan Pitts not even bothering to return my phone calls.

I used to have this same problem with another mayor. I guess if this new crowd of paid spokespeople won't extend the courtesy of at least returning phone calls, much less provide answers to entirely legitimate questions, maybe it's time again for the direct approach to Mr. Mayor himself?

Go get 'em Steve!

When I am mayor, I will make it my business to take a look at and attempt to deal with one personal problem every day. Not in a public way, but in hopefully an effective one. I won't shutter myself from the city and consider myself and administration above the people. Effective leadership is done both behind closed doors and with open doors, windows & shades.

Ahhh... when I'm mayor...

Who is running besides Bing this fall? There has to be someone? Please....

Bob Allman
    Tom Barrow
    Dartagnan Collier
    Duane Montogomery
    Jerroll Sanders

^^^That's the list. I wanted Cockrel to finish out the year but people said he was too spineless and incompetent.

Anyone seen this on TV? Any impressions about his show?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit News
    Mayor Dave Bing Debuts New Television Show “From the Mayor’s Office” First Show Will Reflect Mayor’s First 50 Days In Office

6/30/2009
    Detroit News
    Mayor Dave Bing will debut a new television show, “From the Mayor’s Office,” on Tuesday, June 30 on the City of Detroit’s government access station, Channel 10. “This is a perfect opportunity for citizens in Detroit to receive a new, fresh view of city government,” said Mayor Bing.

In an effort to keep Detroiters abreast of key issues, “From the Mayor’s Office” will highlight major activities, accomplishments and department updates in the City of Detroit on a monthly basis. This month’s show reflects the Mayor’s first 50 days in office including hot button issues such as the City’s budget, cooperation with Detroit Public Schools, and the overall approach of his administration.

“Open communication with residents in the City of Detroit is a priority for Mayor Bing,” said Karen Dumas, Interim Director of Communications. “'From the Mayor’s Office' will serve as a direct connection to the community to ensure that residents and visitors are well informed of issues affecting them,” said Dumas.

“From the Mayor’s Office” will air during the following times on Comcast, Channel 10:

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 [[only)
    2:00 p.m.
    7:00 p.m.

Starting Wednesday, July 1, 2009
    Monday/Wednesday/Friday
    10:00 a.m.
    3:00 p.m.
    7:00 p.m.

Saturday and Sunday
    7:00 a.m.
    3:00 p.m.
    9:00 p.m.

Well I have to say I am not impressed by his 50 days in office. His office is not available for comment about the checks that were written for Kwame, which he brought the same man on board that wrote the checks for Kwame in the first place. Plus he has to wait several days to comment about why he fired Chief Barren.

I don't know about anyone else, but this is my gut feeling, with Bing putting in Warren Evans in as Chief of Police, who was once married Ella Bully Cummings, I see Kwame sitting in Texas saying his plan is in action for his comeback to be mayor of Detroit. I think this is just the start of it and unfortunately we are falling for it.

I know one thing, I will not be voting for Bing in the next elections. I do not like what he has done, but this is just my own opinion.

Faygoredpop, we are not falling for it we are stunned by it. Well, I am. Bing is starting to become more puzzling. Then maybe he was all along. I know I can't vote for him and the other candidates don't stand out either.

Steve mentioned Meaghan Pitts as Bing's #2 spokeswoman. Meaghan used to live across the street from me when I lived on Atkinson from 2002 to 2007. She and her family always told me she was a speechwriter for Kwame. So she's working for Bing now huh? Does anyone know exactly the number of Kwame people Bing has on payroll at this time?