Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Corktown poised to become Detroit's Fooddie neighborhood ?

Is Corktown poised to become Detroit's foodie neighborhood?I haven't notice this mentioned, sorry if it has, but Two James Distillery is coming to Corktown.

It has been mention here ,http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...up-in-2013.php
    so this is not hear say or wishful thinking , this is in the works as we speak.

I know this as fact because I've spoken to folks working on it. They are following the lead of Great Lakes Coffee , reclaimed wood , which I think is awesome!

With Two James Distillery, and Ottava via , Slow's new place[[Gold for Cash ???) not sure of that name ?;-). Sugar house, my FAVORITE COFFEE PLACE ASTRO !

These new places could make Corktown even more of a destination to eat and drink ?

Anyone have any thoughts or other ideas?
    Last edited by Detroitdave; April-12-13 at 10:46 AM. Reason: edit

Don't forget the new microbrewery/brewpub that's going in. Plus Motor City Wine Bar is moving to Corktown as well.

I did not know that Texas T , Thanks for the info ! do you know where the microbrewerey/brewpub and Motor City Wine Bar are going ? will they be walking distance for the other places ?

Batch Brewing Co will be at 1444 Michigan Avenue, right by Trumbull & Michigan. They had a mini-opening during St Patty's Day. Nice people.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...4-michigan.php

Motor City Wine Bar, currently above Grand Trunk Pub, will be at 1949 Michigan, just past 12th & Michigan.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/m...ocorktown.aspx

So yes, both will be in walking distance.
    Last edited by TexasT; April-12-13 at 11:23 AM.

Also, Detroit Institute of Bagels has moved pretty far along on the construction of their Michigan Avenue shop. They have more recent pictures on their facebook page.

http://www.detroitinstituteofbagels.com/

ahhhhhhh I have heard about Detroit wine , I have been to the their current location to buy wine , this is great news ! @ tuere I forgot about the bagel guys , looking forward to that !
    @ Texas T thanks for the links I should have known to do a quick check and stop being lazy :-)
    But it's all great news ! This shows that people feel more confident about the future when they are whiling to eat out more !
    It also show the sophistication of the palate of the city.
    Most cities on the radar of well traveled folks have great , well known restaurants, and Detroit has pretty much always had great places to eat .
    And this also gets the attention of the travel magazines , which I think is a plus!

There isn't a single "high-level" restaurant in Corktown, so it's hard to see it becoming a "foodie paradise," but there is definitely some good choices there. Why are we bringing up a whiskey bar, nanobrewery and wine bar in a thread about food though?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    There isn't a single "high-level" restaurant in Corktown, so it's hard to see it becoming a "foodie paradise," but there is definitely some good choices there. Why are we bringing up a whiskey bar, nanobrewery and wine bar in a thread about food though?
    Because the OP asked this:

These new places could make Corktown even more of a destination to eat and drink ? anyone have any thoughts or other ideas?
    By the context of the OP, mentioning Sugar House and Astro Coffee, I assumed he meant Corktown as a general restaurant/bar/etc district and was using the term "foodie" pretty loosely.

Don't forget about the Bucharest Grill is going in where the Chinese food place used to be. Honest.... this ain't a Cheesecake Factory or House of Blues thing!

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...on-in-Corktown

Don't forget the longest-running culinary establishment in Corktown: The White Castle.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Don't forget the longest-running culinary establishment in Corktown: The White Castle.
    literally laughed out loud at this. ty.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Because the OP asked this:

By the context of the OP, mentioning Sugar House and Astro Coffee, I assumed he meant Corktown as a general restaurant/bar/etc district and was using the term "foodie" pretty loosely.
    Also Sugar house and Astro also sells a lite menu , also the food at Astro is awesome, fresh and mostly healthy .
    Also I've also hear that food more that likely will be served at some point .
    If you think about it most micro brews sell food also, let's face it beer is good , but beer with food is better !
    So it's not too far fetched to assume food will be severed ?
    Last edited by Detroitdave; April-12-13 at 03:18 PM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Also Sugar house and Astro also sells a lite menu , also the food at Astro is awesome, fresh and mostly healthy .
    Also I've also hear that food more that likely will be served at some point .
    If you think about it most micro brews sell food also, let's face it beer is good , but beer with food is better !
    So it's not too far fetch to assume food will be severed ?
    Batch Brewery plans to host food trucks [[which is awesome, Detroit has some very good, very creative food trucks). Motor City Wine already sells food [[meats & cheeses). So not far fetched.

I read somewhere that Dan Gilbert wants to do a food truck grouping like they do in R.O .
    @ TexasT thanks for not dinging me on fetch, over fetched LOL ;-)

If you like Astro, you've got to also try the fellows at Anthology...they are back in the Cooley-thinktank building [[can't remember their group name) at the corner of Porter and Vermont...which is the first street west of Rosa Parks. They are roughly four blocks south of Michigan Ave, down by that Post Office for Corktown.

They only do small-scale roasting of beans from a few select farmers. I was very impressed with their operation and dedication to quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I read somewhere that Dan Gilbert wants to do a food truck grouping like they do in R.O .
    @ TexasT thanks for not dinging me on fetch, over fetched LOL ;-)
    The food trucks often stage several get-togethers during the summer. They meet over behind that brick facade over by Bucharest/Park Bar. Follow one of them on Twitter of Facebook and you'll hear about them. El Guapo Grill and Concrete Cuisine come to mind.

Looks like they do some bigger ones up in New Center. Wish that wasn't so far away from me!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...tml?1343152207

St. CeCe's has some tasty food!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    If you like Astro, you've got to also try the fellows at Anthology...they are back in the Cooley-thinktank building [[can't remember their group name) at the corner of Porter and Vermont...which is the first street west of Rosa Parks. They are roughly four blocks south of Michigan Ave, down by that Post Office for Corktown.

They only do small-scale roasting of beans from a few select farmers. I was very impressed with their operation and dedication to quality.
    You're talking about Ponyride, basically a small business incubator. I heard that Anthology was going into a warehouse on Rosa Parks a block south of Michigan? Are they serving coffee now or can you just buy beans?

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    You're talking about Ponyride, basically a small business incubator. I heard that Anthology was going into a warehouse on Rosa Parks a block south of Michigan? Are they serving coffee now or can you just buy beans?
    That's them. They didn't have much for decor when I was in there, and the tables were doors on painter's horses. I bought a bag o' beans and got a complimentary cup to go...but they might've just wanted me to leave! I was asking altogether too many questions, but they kept answering them.

Tried to get back Sunday, but they were closed. Don't know if they keep hours later than two on any day.

m b v Guest

By food capital you mean a few new bars, sorry "brew pubs," that serve mediocre food?

Quote Originally Posted by Farnsworthfarms View Post
    St. CeCe's has some tasty food!
    Went there for brunch the other day. Had a sugar-bacon-Manhattan with beignets. Pretty damn tasty.

Le Petit Zinc will always have my heart though, although I'm not sure that counts as Corktown.

Went there for brunch the other day. Had a sugar-bacon-Manhattan with beignets. Pretty damn tasty.

Le Petit Zinc will always have my heart though, although I'm not sure that counts as Corktown.
    Why wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Why wouldn't it?
    I would call it Corktown. But apparently, there's an area called Corktown Shores - not sure if this would be a part of that or Corktown.

I'm a newbie. I don't have all my neighborhoods down yet.

I would call it Corktown. But apparently, there's an area called Corktown Shores - not sure if this would be a part of that or Corktown.

I'm a newbie. I don't have all my neighborhoods down yet.
    Ah, I've never heard of that. Never have heard of LPZ being anywhere but Corktown, and it's just a few blocks from Mudgie's, which is the same. I hear of Green Dot Stables being referred to as in Corktown all the time as well, and that's even further away from the main drag. I'm pretty new to the city too though, so I don't know much about it, only what I read/hear.

Corktown Shores is a name made up by the Green Dot Stables people.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...orktown-shores

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast