Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Danny - there is no such thing as black churches or white churches.

Churches are just buildings where fellow people who share similar views meet. Often, the color of the attendance reflects the demographics of the neighboring area.

Here is a piece that shows the color shift of attendees when a church remained [[Hope Church on the Lodge across from the Southfield Town Center) but the neighborhood transitioned from white to black.

http://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/ho...nt?oid=2383755

A church's makeup from black to white or white to black is neither intrinsically good nor bad. It just means the pews more proportionately reflect the makeup of the immediate neighborhood it is trying to serve.

So there's no need to lament a loss nor rejoice in a new pigmentation choice.

You might want to check your opinions before you post in the forum. Do some reseach on African Methodist Episcopalian Churches. That is s real black church.

There is also the Church of the National Knight of the Ku Kluk Klans.

In my mind, these don't qualify as a true church. They are merely facades to spew hate under the guise of church.

In my mind, these don't qualify as a true church. They are merely facades to spew hate under the guise of church.

Whoa!!! Aren't you going a bit strong equating the Klan with traditionally AA churches? How about Polish Catholic or other churches with predominately ethnic worshippers. Double standard, no? Sheesh...

I fully agree with you on the KKK but if your intention is to suggest the AME church is in any way equivalent please learn something about the AME church. It is founded by pastors who first attempted to worship in a white church, but could not without severe discrimination, even in a congregation that was very liberal for its time. Since then the AME church has provided a long history of service to the community and benefit to society. If you heard otherwise you are grossly misinformed.

This whole digression, beginning with Danny's comment, is regrettable.
    Last edited by bust; January-07-16 at 04:11 PM.

I keep checking this thread foolishly hoping that someone has an update on the development in question.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I keep checking this thread foolishly hoping that someone has an update on the development in question.
    The parcel is owned by DTE. I think it's safe to say that the apartment development was scrapped for a substation.

I think I read somewhere that this fell through. I'll try to find the article.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2