Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 112 Unit/6 Story Development Planned for Midtown's Stone Pool Park?

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-pool-park.php

For anyone who has not looked at curbed before, its a great site. It has the greatness of ModelDMedia's New Development, except its daily!

Next to the freeway, Great location!

aww, i was kind of hoping someone would revive it does anyone have a rendering?

I'm really happy to see the type of developments we're seeing in Midtown, preserving/creating a good wallscape with ground-level retail/commercial space.

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-pool-park.php

For anyone who has not looked at curbed before, its a great site. It has the greatness of ModelDMedia's New Development, except its daily!
    They can be a little too snarky for me, but I agree they do a wonderful job of being really on top of development in the city.

Why, with the abundance of vacant land, would they choose to build this over a park?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Why, with the abundance of vacant land, would they choose to build this over a park?
    Is there that much vacant land available in large swaths [[2 acres) that close to WSU [[meaning a steady influx of student renters)?

The park has been for sale for a while. I prefer that it becomes a significant development instead of a parking lot or just stay an abandoned park.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    They can be a little too snarky for me, but I agree they do a wonderful job of being really on top of development in the city.

well 3 of 4 of there last four development news articles were on DetroitYes First...Ironic Huh

Stone Pool Park has a Facebook page where as recently as December people were posting pictures of themselves doing work on the park. I'm surprised that the city can make the decision to sell off parks that at least some people in the area obviously care about with no public input or even public notice.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    Stone Pool Park has a Facebook page where as recently as December people were posting pictures of themselves doing work on the park. I'm surprised that the city can make the decision to sell off parks that at least some people in the area obviously care about with no public input or even public notice.
    The EFM can sell city assets without any input from the mayor, council, or citizens.

There's been a Request for Proposals since 2009. And I remember seeing a "For Sale" sign for at least a year. This has nothing to do with the EM. People have had 4 years to complain...I'd rather see a new building.

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/Portals/...urth%20RFP.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Is there that much vacant land available in large swaths [[2 acres) that close to WSU [[meaning a steady influx of student renters)?
    No almost all the vacant land that close is used as WSU parking, that said there is not a ton of park space in the area either.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    No almost all the vacant land that close is used as WSU parking, that said there is not a ton of park space in the area either.
    Hopefully new parks can be forged elsewhere in Midtown. That park has always been sort of bleak, right next to the freeway.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...apartments.php Looks like this project is really moving along.

105 new units added here... 98 lost with an Illitch buyout/eviction on Henry St. Almost a zero sum game for Midtown...

YAY! more gentrification. More college bound young professionals in Detroit.

Has this plan finally gotten off the ground? The relatively new park and old pool and bathhouse have been leveled and the property is completely empty.

But I've also heard rumblings that DTE is building a substation there to handle WSU as it migrates the university off the Detroit grid and onto its own.

Anyone have any info?

Great ideal to lure more millennials and young proffesionals into Midtown. Close the community pool and build super apartments next to the last black church and two poor folks projects next door. Give it a about 20 years and that all black church and small projects on the corner of Second and Forest will be gone.

... so I hope something happens instead of nothing. Redevelopment needs to happen in the neighborhoods beyond midtown.

Danny - there is no such thing as black churches or white churches.

Churches are just buildings where fellow people who share similar views meet. Often, the color of the attendance reflects the demographics of the neighboring area.

Here is a piece that shows the color shift of attendees when a church remained [[Hope Church on the Lodge across from the Southfield Town Center) but the neighborhood transitioned from white to black.

http://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/ho...nt?oid=2383755

A church's makeup from black to white or white to black is neither intrinsically good nor bad. It just means the pews more proportionately reflect the makeup of the immediate neighborhood it is trying to serve.

So there's no need to lament a loss nor rejoice in a new pigmentation choice.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Churches are just buildings where fellow people who share similar views meet. Often, the color of the attendance reflects the demographics of the neighboring area.
    My wife was once invited to go to church with a friend. The church had several hundred people who were black. My wife was the only white person. She was welcomed with open arms.

Likewise, I've been a part of a nearly all-white church and anyone was welcome.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but as a general rule churches don't care about race, especially in Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Danny - there is no such thing as black churches or white churches.
    Technically there is such thing as the "black church". AME Churches are "black churches". The A stands for African. Second Baptist is a black church, named Second because First Baptist didn't allow blacks to be members. Christian churches should welcome anyone and everyone, but black churches are those churches that have historically ministered to the African-American population. St. Charles Lwanga and Good Shepherd are both Catholic parishes, but I would consider them "black churches" because they particularly minister to African-American Catholics.

LET'S TRY THIS AGAIN:

Has this plan finally gotten off the ground? The relatively new park and old pool and bathhouse have been leveled and the property is completely empty.

But I've also heard rumblings that DTE is building a substation there to handle WSU as it migrates the university off the Detroit grid and onto its own.

Anyone have any info?

DTE bought the property in June of '14 so your rumblings are probably correct.

https://makeloveland.com/us/mi/wayne...detroit/282263

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast