Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Caribou Coffee

Default Caribou Coffee

Sorry to see them go, nice, relaxing atmosphere in the stores, personal service, decent coffee. No official word on which ones are closing for good and which ones are being converted over to "Peete's"...BUT...I am aware at least of the following...

Mack Ave in Grosse Pointe Woods is closing for good.
    Kercheval in the Village is apparently staying open, and thus will become a Peete's at some point in the near future...

Great folks at the Mack store...knew my order when I walked in.

I go to the Einstien Bros. on Kercheval once a week.
    The lady at the counter knows my order, one regular coffee.

I go to the one in Royal Oak , any word ?
    I prefer them over Starbucks

Yesterday Ed Coury on WWJ950 mentioned the four stores that would remain open and converted to Peets. I heard Grosse Pointe and Novi, but I missed the other two. Meanwhile Biggby plans to open 136 new stores around Detroit by 2015. That sounds crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I go to the one in Royal Oak , any word ?
    I prefer them over Starbucks
    I would guess RO will become a Peet's. I will miss caribou.

Anyone with functioning tastebuds prefers Caribou or the Beanery over Starsucks

I was hoping that Caribou would open a store in Detroit. Maybe Peets will open one in Greektown or in one of Gilberts buildings. Maybe the Carey Building

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I just like straight up, good coffee, lil' cream, that's all. I go with Starbucks every once in a while just looking for something good. It doesn't do it for me. Bitter at best.
    Small shops always seem to do it better.

By the way, what's Biggby.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Meanwhile Biggby plans to open 136 new stores around Detroit by 2015. That sounds crazy.
    That does sound crazy.

But good luck to them.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I just like straight up, good coffee, lil' cream, that's all. I go with Starbucks every once in a while just looking for something good. It doesn't do it for me. Bitter at best.
    Small shops always seem to do it better.

By the way, what's Biggby.
    biggby used to be called "beaners" - it's another chain based, I think, in michigan.

I agree, smaller shops do coffee better, for chains i do like caribou and the coffee beanery. I used to have my coffee shipped from a little shop in Hell's Kitchen. I have also had growers send me stuff direct

I'm going to miss the one on Mack. That was a really nice, comfy space.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Bigby was going to move into the old bank at Roslyn and Mack, but stopped the build out. I have a feeling the Caribou on Mack may be their next move.

Highlights of my trips anywhere in Michigan or Ohio were stops at Caribou along my routes. I will miss them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Agreed, the Caribou location had a more comfy venue on Mack than its Starbucks competitor just a few blocks up the street, but the Starbucks parking lot always seemed to be full whereas the Caribou lot seemed to have lots of open parking spaces. Guess the bottom line is sales/receipts.

I never cared for the rustic feel of Caribou but I'll miss their Mint Condition mochas.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Bigby was going to move into the old bank at Roslyn and Mack, but stopped the build out. I have a feeling the Caribou on Mack may be their next move.
    I read somewhere that they are opening at Mack & Hawthorne. I wonder if they are moving into that former car repair shop, although it seems too small.

Coffee Beanery would be welcome in GPW...as would Biggby...though it bears mentioning that Biggby closed up shop a few months ago on the GPF side of Mack near Warren. The Starbucks in GPW is always busy...weird little building...converted gas station I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by fastcarsandfreedom View Post
    Coffee Beanery would be welcome in GPW...as would Biggby...though it bears mentioning that Biggby closed up shop a few months ago on the GPF side of Mack near Warren. The Starbucks in GPW is always busy...weird little building...converted gas station I believe.
    Starbucks on Mack and Allard is a former Speedway 79 gas station.

Figured that...cool ceiling in Starbucks...original garage roof...can see the old bricked up restrooms at the side also.

from December 2012 statement at time of acquisition by private equity firm:
    “We anticipate the next chapter in Caribou’s journey will be filled with tremendous opportunities to grow this great brand, with new ownership,” said Michael Tattersfield, President and Chief Executive Officer of Caribou.

Quote Originally Posted by fastcarsandfreedom View Post
    Figured that...cool ceiling in Starbucks...original garage roof...can see the old bricked up restrooms at the side also.
    Don't get too nostalgic, because that's not the original gas station. It was a Marathon that was converted to a Speedway in the late 1970s. The larger original station was torn down and the current building built in its place. It probably had outdoor bathrooms but it never had a garage.

There might be some confusion on the GP locations closing.

Crains is reporting the Mack location will become a Peete's [[i.e. stay open) and the Caribou on Kercheval in the village will shutter.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rs-will-become

The Mack employees were telling customers they were closing on the 14th. That was the site of a gas station too.

biggby used to be called "beaners" - it's another chain based, I think, in michigan.

I agree, smaller shops do coffee better, for chains i do like caribou and the coffee beanery. I used to have my coffee shipped from a little shop in Hell's Kitchen. I have also had growers send me stuff direct
    From Biggby's website:

The first cafe opened in East Lansing, Michigan in March 1995. The second cafe opened in Lansing, Michigan in October 1997.
    They're headquartered in East Lansing.

If you go through the trouble of buying beans direct from the growers, do yourself a favor and look into roasting your own. I've been doing that for about 8 or 9 years now, and there is nothing better than fresh roasted coffee. Speaking of which, has anybody been to the Roasting Plant on Campus Martius yet? They roast onsite. Any reviews?

I would guess RO will become a Peet's. I will miss caribou.

Why thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by the rock View Post
    Agreed, the Caribou location had a more comfy venue on Mack than its Starbucks competitor just a few blocks up the street, but the Starbucks parking lot always seemed to be full whereas the Caribou lot seemed to have lots of open parking spaces. Guess the bottom line is sales/receipts.
    Probably one of the reasons I preferred the Caribou - it was generally much less crowded and you could almost always get a comfy chair and table. Well, that and the coffee was much better...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The Mack employees were telling customers they were closing on the 14th. That was the site of a gas station too.
    There was an Arco gas station there at one time. They were the last station on Mack to carry leaded premium in the late 70's early 80's. The current building was built as a bank if I remember correctly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast