Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Fort Wayne Flea Market this wknd, April 13-14

http://historicfortwaynecoalition.com/fleamarket.html

We have sold out on all our vendor tables, so it should be a good event. Admission to the mkt. itself is free, other than the usual $5 parking.

come see the work we've done on the Visitor Center / Gym blg. if you remember it as a dark dreary place, you will be pleasantly surprised. we have added or replaced lighting, and painted the entire place. we still have a lot more to do, but it looks 100% better. we have also replaced the rotted floor in the kitchen, and will be soon applying for a food vending permit so that we can use the cafeteria as a cafeteria again. we are also coming thru soon on some new tables & chairs for the cafeteria to replaced these junky old POS's with the duct tape on em & everything.

tours of the Fort will be conducted as well, so this is a chance to see the place even though we arent officially open for the year yet. Civil War era reenactors will also be on site of course.

BTW we will also have a totally revamped website online soon as well, being as what we have now is a little antiquated.
    Last edited by WaCoTS; April-09-13 at 03:42 PM.

Wish I could check it out. The whole event seems like a great bargain.

I really would like to see a reenactment, just saw Lincoln the movie and the costume and hairstyles were far superior to what we used to see on the subject years ago.

The reenacting I've seen in pictures are pretty good in terms of detail, a lot of heart put into it. Good luck WaCoTS!

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Wish I could check it out. The whole event seems like a great bargain.

I really would like to see a reenactment, just saw Lincoln the movie and the costume and hairstyles were far superior to what we used to see on the subject years ago.

The reenacting I've seen in pictures are pretty good in terms of detail, a lot of heart put into it. Good luck WaCoTS!
    Wasn't Lincoln good? I really enjoyed it!

well we wont be having a full reenactment [[with a battle) until our WWII event in May.

also have had to move our long-standing Civil War Days event to September this year. and shortly after that will be a War of 1812 event. our calendar is on our website.

Haven't been there some time. Hopefully will try to go.

Hey WaCoTS....who should we ask for when we want to buy you a beer this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Wasn't Lincoln good? I really enjoyed it!

I loved it. I really like Daniel Day Lewis, and Tommy Lee Jones of course. But the script was tight as a ship, and plenty good besides. The funny thing is I missed the first ten or fifteen minutes of it, because I rushed to go see it at a dollar cinema in town where the projector had a tired bulb or something and it was awfully contrasty. It wasnt playing anymore in the regular theatres.

Then this week parts of it were playing at Costco on their HDTVs and I noticed how bad the show had been. But it had cost me very little. lol. I'll probably buy a copy.

I didn't see the hours for this event on the Fort Wayne website.

According to the Detroit Historical Society, the Flea Market is open 10am-4pm for the Flea Market.
    http://detroithistorical.org/things-...ne-flea-market

Quote Originally Posted by diggindetroit View Post
    Hey WaCoTS....who should we ask for when we want to buy you a beer this weekend?
    hewww yeah. finally this gig is starting to pay off lol. all i need now is another 84,000 beers and i'll be all caught up

ill be one of the guys who looks like a blur because he's moving around so fast doing stuff.

BTW yes, thank you, the hours are 10-4 on Saturday, and 10-3 on Sunday.
    Last edited by WaCoTS; April-11-13 at 09:00 PM.

just a reminder, this is open at 10am tomorrow!
    and there are three scheduled fort tour times throughout the day; i believe the first ones leave at 11am

well, the event is all tore-down and the fort is quiet and back to normal again.

wow, i was actually pretty impressed with the turnout this weekend! Sunday actually out-performed Saturday [[that Channel 7 interview mightve helped lol); we sold 87 tours today alone! thanks to those who came out despite grim weather!

sorry the plumbing situation in the Visitor Center is so frail and was showing its weakness this weekend...a complete tear-out and renovation of those bathrooms was in the cards last year but the funding had to get diverted to fix something else that happened at the time, so at the moment we are stuck with those ugly old bathrooms. but that is at the top of the list of things to get fixed now, and hopefully we will see action on that before the end of the year. we currently have a few work contracts along those lines all approved & ready to go, but stalled on someone's desk in city gov't because of the appearance of some guy called an Emergency Financial Manager....so we have a little more waiting before the ball gets rolling on that again.

oh also, due to the size and success of this year's flea market, we are anticipating having to expand it into a second building next time! or perhaps a large tent...
    Last edited by WaCoTS; April-14-13 at 09:28 PM.

Having never visited Forte Wayne in 30 years of living in the suburbs we decided Sunday was the day because of the Flea Market. On leaving 75 all we could think of was how soon before we got back on and out of there. Did spend about 10 mins in the Flea Market.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    Having never visited Forte Wayne in 30 years of living in the suburbs we decided Sunday was the day because of the Flea Market. On leaving 75 all we could think of was how soon before we got back on and out of there. Did spend about 10 mins in the Flea Market.
    Cool story, bro!

30 years of living in the suburbs with rarely going into the city does sort of make some people paranoid. I guess you just get freeked out by the buildings on the way to the Fort, and have a sudden obsession to get out of there.

Only 10 minutes at the flea market?? You should have taken the Fort tour... but then your instinct for survival kicked in and you had to get out before you started hyperventilating... lol...

Now you can tell your family and friends that you spent 10 minutes in Detroit and actually made it out alive to tell about it...
    Last edited by Gistok; April-15-13 at 12:29 PM.

Damn, I wonder what it must be like to be that afraid. Having lived in both the city and the "oh, so safe" suburbs, this is pretty pathetic.

Glad the event at the fort went well.

Were you worried about the Canadians attacking? I think those are pretty much bygone days. Besides, it IS a fort, you know......

Do I detect the inmates playing DEFENSE? [[laudable if they are)
    Last edited by coracle; April-15-13 at 04:52 PM.

Ha ha ha, great job attracting the suburbanites!

WaCoTS, you guys rock!

I think that should be enough images to extend this thread forever. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I'm going for a tie with the Midtown/Cesspool thread!

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I like this one:

I.e., whenever Grandma says that, what it really means is that she doesn't give a shit about your opinion. LOL!

hm.

i should bet one of my friends $50 that i could post a thread on this forum consisting of only "vr9hqhrqhqviovffndbVdivoaihv" that it would devolve into some kind of divisive argument involving race or class.

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    hm.

i should bet one of my friends $50 that i could post a thread on this forum consisting of only "vr9hqhrqhqviovffndbVdivoaihv" that it would devolve into some kind of divisive argument involving race or class.
    I'd take that bet, if you give me 2500/1 odds.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast