Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks for all the advice. While my dog does get along well with other dogs, I'd prefer to live without roommates for a summer, heh. There's a certain excellence and peace to having one's own place.

I am only staying through late July or Early August, so while that sounds like a great apartment, I think I'll pass - other renters might be better fits.

I had looked at crimemapping.com, but it seemed to be the same concentration of crime almost everywhere, and without population density overlays the information seemed difficult to parse.

One other question: I have a lead on a couple apartment complexes in the Palmer Park Historic District that look cool and are affordable [[Whitmore Plaza and Parkview Court[[s), all from the same management company - I know it's close to a bad area, but is the area itself bad?

I'm still fishing for WSU sublets, including with a CL post, but so far no dice. I did hit upon an opportunity at Detroit City Apartments but at $900 a month it seems overpriced [[the sublet would go until August 15), considering I'd owe for electricity, need a dog deposit, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by kwhitegocubs View Post
    One other question: I have a lead on a couple apartment complexes in the Palmer Park Historic District that look cool and are affordable [[Whitmore Plaza and Parkview Court[[s), all from the same management company - I know it's close to a bad area, but is the area itself bad?

I'm still fishing for WSU sublets, including with a CL post, but so far no dice. I did hit upon an opportunity at Detroit City Apartments but at $900 a month it seems overpriced [[the sublet would go until August 15), considering I'd owe for electricity, need a dog deposit, etc...
    Palmer Park is a gorgeous area, and it is undergoing a small renaissance thanks to one small Detroit developer in particular. Take a look at this article in Model D from January that will give you a little background on Shelborne Development.

Earlier in the thread, you mentioned the cheap lofts you looked at. I'm going to guess those were by Boydell Development, and yes, they don't have a good reputation. On the other hand, since you're only staying for a few months, you might be alble to tolerate them. They have more than a dozen properties that are all either right downtown or pretty close to it. Also, the rent should be right in your range, and if they haven't changed their policies, all leases are month to month.

Finally, you might want to look at Southwest Housing Solutions. They are a non-profit in southwest Detroit, and from everything I hear they have a solid reputation. While they do a fair amount of subsidized leases, I think they vet tenants well and manage the properties superbly. Most are gorgeous, old historic apartments. I'm not sure if they do short-term leases, but it might be worth a shot. Their facebook page is here.

Edit: Two more thoughts. Does anybody know if the Detroit Monitor is still publishing? If so, they used to be distributed free at locations all around downtown, Midtown and the New Center. They always had lots of real estate listings in the city -- both sales and rentals. And, there are a few realtors that do a lot of work in and around downtown: O'Conner Realty on Michigan Avenue in Corktown [[next to Slow's), City Living Detroit on West Willis in Midtown, and Vasileff Realty in Lafayette Park.

Good luck!
    Last edited by downtownguy; April-11-13 at 11:12 AM.

I agree, Crimemapping.com it is not 100 accurate, I use mostly to identify or confirm a general overview of areas densely packed with illegal and criminal activities. When the 'activity' icons nearly cover the area I know that is not were I would move, but then I usually know of that area from from living in the city overall. You know where dense criminality is at if you just drive by sometimes.

CM relies on police records and most don't get reported. Case in point: a serious shooting occurred not far from me involving AK-47's, etc. and multiple deaths. I heard the rapid shots from my home... Nothing reported on Crimemapping.com. Not one entry! And I knew the precise location of the incident. So no, CM is not fully accurate for specific events. For sure they are not timely in revising data...

Quote Originally Posted by jaytheory View Post
    Crimemapping.com is highly inaccurate I would not sue it for anything, I have done some policing projects and grant work for non profits and crimemapping should nto be used. WSU police officers tell me not to use it, it is innaccurate
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-11-13 at 11:17 AM.

I was wondering the same thing about the Monitor. I used to pick it up at the University Market on Warren... They used to have really good listings, with less riff-raff and crack house listings. Or the worse would be to live in a building with a for rent sign in the window. Good property rarely has to put up a sign....

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    ...Does anybody know if the Detroit Monitor is still publishing? If so, they used to be distributed free at locations all around downtown, Midtown and the New Center. They always had lots of real estate listings in the city -- both sales and rentals.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing about the Monitor. I used to pick it up at the University Market on Warren... They used to have really good listings, with less riff-raff and crack house listings. Or the worse would be to live in a building with a for rent sign in the window. Good property rarely has to put up a sign....
    The Monitor IS alive and well. Every week a fresh batch appears in the lobby where I live. I used to pick it up @ Harbortown Mkt., but I can't vouch whether they still have it there or not. Maybe a call to their offices for a location near you?

No doubt people will have various opinions, but in my view the area isn't that bad. I don't know what those buildings are like, and I have heard people suggest that they worry about on-street parking there.
    Last edited by mwilbert; April-11-13 at 03:31 PM.

The Whitmore Plaza is my choice methinks, for $525 [[all utils except elec included). It's either that or go with the Milner Arms for $600 [[all utils plus basic cable). The deposit is a bit less with the Whitmore and I like the idea of being near the Park and golf. I also don't know what condition Milner is in, while Whitmore looks very nice inside from the pics, and the outside is pretty well maintained based on google maps and other photos.

The Whitmore Plaza is my choice methinks, for $525 [[all utils except elec included). It's either that or go with the Milner Arms for $600 [[all utils plus basic cable). The deposit is a bit less with the Whitmore and I like the idea of being near the Park and golf. I also don't know what condition Milner is in, while Whitmore looks very nice inside from the pics, and the outside is pretty well maintained based on google maps and other photos.
    If you do stay in the Palmer Park area, I'd be interested to hear how you feel about your experience there afterward, good and/or bad.

https://m.facebook.com/friends/reque...00000242507451

they have a room avail in the Moses Field house. $500

the owners are super involved in historic rehabilitation of the house and neighborhood. If you were looking for a truly unique experience, this would be the place.
    http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/roo/3736647505.html
    Last edited by gnome; April-12-13 at 05:27 AM.

I agree. And it would to some extent depend on what kind of car you have. A Chrysler 300 for example would be a high risk for theft parking on the street or even driveways in some areas.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    ...I have heard people suggest that they worry about on-street parking there.

Couple of years ago my wife and I too a looksee at the Covington and were favorably impresses with the layout of the massive apartments; however, we were less than happy with the neighborhood. When we drove around the block we were greeted by glowering denizens who were in the middle of the street and moved so slowly and appeared aggrieved at being asked to remove themselves from the roadway.

i understand things have changed. We have not been back.

^^^ Yeah nothing like being 'grimmed' by folks walking to and fro boldy in front of your car!

I have a 1997 Buick Century with a recent [[though perhaps fortunate in this case?) door dent. It has the fabled 2-DIN CD/Cassette radio. I feel like it wouldn't be a high-priority break-in.

As a follow-up to that post, would people really recommend something like the Milner Arms [[midtown near Comerica and the Orchestra building) over Palmer? Again, I really like the idea of the park and the super cool buildings, but maybe it would be more functional at the Milner? I already applied for the Whitmore Plaza, so I'm leaning that way.

Also, thanks everyone for all the advice - it's been impossibly helpful.

Get an alarm anyway [[with a kill switch pulling power from alternate power source - not a straight pull off the main battery). Some of those Buicks can be theft magnets for the engine or tranny or a 'good time' car for teens.

I have a 1997 Buick Century with a recent [[though perhaps fortunate in this case?) door dent. It has the fabled 2-DIN CD/Cassette radio. I feel like it wouldn't be a high-priority break-in.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-13-13 at 05:25 AM.

As a follow-up to that post, would people really recommend something like the Milner Arms [[midtown near Comerica and the Orchestra building) over Palmer? Again, I really like the idea of the park and the super cool buildings, but maybe it would be more functional at the Milner? I already applied for the Whitmore Plaza, so I'm leaning that way.

Also, thanks everyone for all the advice - it's been impossibly helpful.
    Tough call. I've no first hand experience with Milner, but I've always thought they had a reputation for catering to a fairly transient, lower-class clientele. As has been stated, Palmer Park has some very rough edges, but it does seem to be making a comeback.

One other idea is the Park Avenue House. Again, I believe it's clientele would be similar to the Milner. It is owned by the Harrington family. Sean Harrington runs the Town Pump in the same building and they also own the Iodent Building Lofts across the street which houses the Centaur Bar. Depending on who you talk to, or what reviews you read online, they are either the best or the worst landlords. You would be right in the heart of downtown activity, if that appeals to you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2