Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for Month-to-Month rental from May 1 to August 1

Hey. I'm moving to Detroit for the summer to work as a legal associate for the UAW. I also have a small dog [[like 18 pounds, so not an issue if they allow any dogs at all). I need a month-to-month rental in a relatively safe neighborhood [[perhaps I should disclose I'm a woman here? Though I am over 6 feet and well-built, heh). My car isn't worth much [[1997 Buick with a big dent and a cassette player), so I doubt it'll be targeted much.

I would like to find something for under $700, though $500 would be better. If I can't find something shortly, I may just get an extended stay hotel room out in the suburbs for about $900 per [[I like hotels, and there are no utilities or cable/internet payments to worry about). I was looking at a couple of the cheap lofts but they appear to be run by a slumlord from everything I see on here.

So, to complete this late-night ramble of parantheticals, any advice would be appreciated. I've lived in cities but never in Detroit, but something relatively close to downtown and/or the ballpark would be great if that's workable. I'm equally okay driving a bit.

Best of luck kwhite. Be prepared for the upcoming onslaught. Don't get discouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Best of luck kwhite. Be prepared for the upcoming onslaught. Don't get discouraged.
    Onslaught? What fodder have I provided for this "onslaught" you speak of?

Nothing you said. Welcome, hope you get some good advice from people that live in the city. Just don't pay attention to some of the drivel that comes along with the good advice. If your post was a meta tag, I guess I'd see: go cubs, UAW, single woman moving to Detroit, possible suburbs. Seem to stir up some weird controversies here on occasion. This is a great site to find good information about the city. As an outsider, I have on numerous occasions. You just need to have a thick skin.

Possible move to Detroit, please help/berate me.

Can you room mate for a while? Perhaps try the Woodbridge area, like someone who has a flat, upper and lower - some of which are very large even if you room with someone in one of the floors. Or maybe catch an finished attic with air conditioning. Less crime associated with multi-level, multi-family houses than living single in the city as some is usually home and you get the house feel, not like an apartment.

Yeah I have an older car, one of the last that has the Cassette/ CD combo and I deliberately keep a cassette half-way showing in the thing showing to deter thieves... LOL!
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-09-13 at 09:49 AM.

I don't have any insight for you other than to say that May-Aug. would be perfect for any Wayne State student looking to sublet for the summer. Back when I was in college I sublet my apt. twice and was surprised how easy it was. I would contact the Student Housing Authority and ask them where to look or place your ad.

The Detroit yes classified ads have these
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...-Rent-Corktown

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I don't have any insight for you other than to say that May-Aug. would be perfect for any Wayne State student looking to sublet for the summer. Back when I was in college I sublet my apt. twice and was surprised how easy it was. I would contact the Student Housing Authority and ask them where to look or place your ad.
    That's a great idea!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kwhitegocubs View Post
    Hey. I'm moving to Detroit for the summer to work as a legal associate for the UAW. I also have a small dog [[like 18 pounds, so not an issue if they allow any dogs at all). I need a month-to-month rental in a relatively safe neighborhood [[perhaps I should disclose I'm a woman here? Though I am over 6 feet and well-built, heh). My car isn't worth much [[1997 Buick with a big dent and a cassette player), so I doubt it'll be targeted much.

I would like to find something for under $700, though $500 would be better. If I can't find something shortly, I may just get an extended stay hotel room out in the suburbs for about $900 per [[I like hotels, and there are no utilities or cable/internet payments to worry about). I was looking at a couple of the cheap lofts but they appear to be run by a slumlord from everything I see on here.

So, to complete this late-night ramble of parantheticals, any advice would be appreciated. I've lived in cities but never in Detroit, but something relatively close to downtown and/or the ballpark would be great if that's workable. I'm equally okay driving a bit.

I need to sub lease my apartment beging may 15 through Sep. nice life apartment in woodbridge close to campus, hardwood floor, washer drtyer in apt, top floor, 1400 sq feet, stainless appliances, newly renovated. 850

Wow! Sounds great. Just the washer and drying in the same unit is great. No trudging to a basement or worse a laundry mat!

Quote Originally Posted by jaytheory View Post
    I need to sub lease my apartment beging may 15 through Sep. nice life apartment in woodbridge close to campus, hardwood floor, washer drtyer in apt, top floor, 1400 sq feet, stainless appliances, newly renovated. 850

Can I ask if that is until September 1 or the end of September? That sounds pretty enticing.

How is the area just east of the Daimler-Chrysler plant? It almost looks like it's out in the country but maybe that's just all the demolition of old houses that has occurred. I have a couple leads but I know nothing about the neighborhood.

[QUOTE=kwhitegocubs;377831]How is the area just east of the Daimler-Chrysler plant? It almost looks like it's out in the country but maybe that's just all the demolition of old houses that has occurred. I have a couple leads but I know nothing about the neighborhood.[/QUOT

As long as you keep going down Jefferson until you cross the city limits at Alter Rd. and end up somewhere in Grosse Pointe.

So if it's inside the city limits there, it's bad? How bad? I lived in West Philly last year [[48th and Spruce for those who know), so I'm not terrifically choosy, but I don't want to be petrified either.

So if it's inside the city limits there, it's bad? How bad? I lived in West Philly last year [[48th and Spruce for those who know), so I'm not terrifically choosy, but I don't want to be petrified either.
    You will be petrified if you move to the neighborhood around the Jefferson Assembly plant. It is not safe especially for someone like yourself who knows nothing about that area. Do a google street view of the area around the plant. I know the area well. My mother lived there and I tried to get her out but she refused to leave a house she had lived in for over 60 years. I finally sent her on a bus trip for a week and moved her while she was gone. As I said if you want to live on that part of the east side cross over and move into one of the Grosse Pointes.

Are there any parts of Detroit proper you'd recommend within a moderate budget then? I mean, I did google street search it. It looked like an "urban prairie"... I did see some abandoned homes, but not that many. The building itself looked good from google street view and I "drove around" and it seemed okay. But, again, I'm not trying to dispute what you are saying at all - I just know, based on the crime maps, that it looks no worse than most of Detroit, so is there a specific reason to be terrified?

I grew up in Rockford [[IL), which consistently had one of the highest crime rates and homicide rates in the country, and have lived in W. Philly [[as noted), so even though I don't know the area [[per se), I'm not someone who runs just because my car gets the radio stolen. But if it's worse than that sort of thing [[regularly) then clearly it wouldn't be worth the monetary savings.

I think the advice about looking for a summer sublet near Wayne is your best bet. If you google for "wayne state summer sublet" I'm pretty sure you will find some leads.

Good luck, and have a fun summer in Detroit--I assume the UAW gives you a little time to yourself!

I grew up in Rockford [[IL), which consistently had one of the highest crime rates and homicide rates in the country
    I always think it's funny when I hear someone say, I grew up in Rockford. You never hear anyone say, I live in Rockford.
    I think it's funny because I say the same thing, that was my neck of the woods when I was younger. It is a bad place, especially the part of the city I grew up in.
    I've always thought of Rockford as a small Detroit, without all the culture. I'm guessing you might have a reasonable idea of what you're doing if that's the case.

I think Midtown is giving you some good advice though.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I think the advice about looking for a summer sublet near Wayne is your best bet. If you google for "wayne state summer sublet" I'm pretty sure you will find some leads.

Good luck, and have a fun summer in Detroit--I assume the UAW gives you a little time to yourself!
    This is very good advice. It should be very easy to get a summer sublet around the campus at a good price.

I've been searching for summer sublets [[both Wayne State and UDM) and have found almost nothing. Maybe the students haven't really started looking and posting yet? It is somewhat perplexing since WSU's semester ends April 30.

We have a large house in Islandview Village 10 minutes from downtown or WSU and occasionally rent out rooms. If your dog likes other dogs [[We have three) and an ability to live with others send a pm Ron

I agree. I've worked in that area and while it is not the worse area I would not live there under any circumstances and certainly not ALONE, new and green to that area. I would suggest the WSU area/ midtown/ downtown or as you said if your considering the Jefferson area you might as well do the Points, rather than Alter Rd for example.

Car theft is a acquired joy in that area - if they're not taking your whole car, they are removing parts or contents from [[catalytic converters were stolen often from the employee lot where I worked often).

And yes, my parents home neighborhood went ultra bad at the end. They had no peace, stuff was being stripped off the house while they were home. Break-ins, bad quality of life. It's hard to get people out in time though, when they have lived in an area for years with fond memories of what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    You will be petrified if you move to the neighborhood around the Jefferson Assembly plant. It is not safe especially for someone like yourself who knows nothing about that area. Do a google street view of the area around the plant. I know the area well. My mother lived there and I tried to get her out but she refused to leave a house she had lived in for over 60 years. I finally sent her on a bus trip for a week and moved her while she was gone. As I said if you want to live on that part of the east side cross over and move into one of the Grosse Pointes.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-11-13 at 11:14 AM.

It depends on the area... and your desire to maintain personal safety as a paramont beyond any politics or blog opinions. There are better areas of Detroit [[I live in one), with people going about their business striving to do positive things in the city for their families, working or attempting to find work, going to school, retired etc. handling their business.

Then there are areas of extreme bold-face crime, drugs, high levels of night and day break-ins ala folks standing around with contempt and too much idol time, grimming [[watching) YOU GO TO WORK, so they can break in, with zero police response, replete with abandoned houses, etc. I'd NOT recommend these areas. What you see is really what you get.

This site somewhat gives an idea of the crime in the US and Detroit by address: www.crimemapping.com/

end of sep, but i have a good relationship with the lanlord, she is very involved in the community and one of the more well known small landowners in the city. we can probably work something out if we go to her together.

PM me if you are interested

Crimemapping.com is highly inaccurate I would not sue it for anything, I have done some policing projects and grant work for non profits and crimemapping should nto be used. WSU police officers tell me not to use it, it is innaccurate

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    It depends on the area... and your desire to maintain personal safety as a paramont beyond any politics or blog opinions. There are better areas of Detroit [[I live in one), with people going about their business striving to do positive things in the city for their families, working or attempting to find work, going to school, retired etc. handling their business.

Then there are areas of extreme bold-face crime, drugs, high levels of night and day break-ins ala folks standing around with contempt and too much idol time, grimming [[watching) YOU GO TO WORK, so they can break in, with zero police response, replete with abandoned houses, etc. I'd NOT recommend these areas. What you see is really what you get.

This site somewhat gives an idea of the crime in the US and Detroit by address: www.crimemapping.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast