Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "Hit Squads" in Detroit

I was wondering what happened to the case of a young man that was killed on Somerset and Warren in Morning Side a few months ago.His name was Demetrius Green. He was a promising young man. His story is here:
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...SJ9bY.facebook

While researching the case I found this:
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...d-to-hit-squad

The gun used to murder this young man was used in 12 OTHER MURDERS!!! One gun!!!!! This bothered me so much that I actually went here:
    http://chamspage.blogspot.com/2013/0...homicides.html
    To see just how many robberies there were where the victim was killed. Could it be possible that a large amount of our homicides are caused by just a few groups of cold blooded killers?
    I must admit I rolled my eyes when I heard the Mayor say at some press conference recently that they were going hard after a few people who are a major problem. I was thinking that it couldn't be just a few people but now I don't know what to think!

Thank you for the updates and the chamspage site. For sure there's a band of folks, and individuals seeking 'marks' [[young and old) they feel they can try... They know their crimes will not be pursued for the most part.

"That is absolutely crazy," said Reverend Darryl Gaddy with Victory Fellowship Community Church.
    "It's a matter of survival for them. Many of them are living alone and many of them have been turned out to the streets. They don't have places to go. They don't have food to eat. So they're trying to survive."

So they murder innocent people because they're hungry? They had his jacket, what was their point? F$%^ these guys, and F&%@ Reverend Darryl Gaddy too. I don't feel sorry for them in the least damn bit. They're killing people for sport, nothing more.

YES. Precisely!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    They're killing people for sport, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by honky tonk View Post
    "that is absolutely crazy," said reverend darryl gaddy with victory fellowship community church.
    "it's a matter of survival for them. Many of them are living alone and many of them have been turned out to the streets. They don't have places to go. They don't have food to eat. So they're trying to survive."

so they murder innocent people because they're hungry? They had his jacket, what was their point? F$%^ these guys, and f&%@ reverend darryl gaddy too. I don't feel sorry for them in the least damn bit. They're killing people for sport, nothing more.
    exactly!!!!!!!!

For a good book on crime fighting, I would suggest Don't Shoot, by David Kennedy. While the crime-fighting approach in this book has many elements that are beyond the scope of a short Forum post, one basis for the approach taken was that research demonstrated that it is often a small number of repeat offfenders who are responsible for a disproportionate amount of crime. So I would not be surprised if most of Detroit's worst crimes are committed by a relatively small number of people.
    Last edited by cman710; April-05-13 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    For a good book on crime fighting, I would suggest Don't Shoot, by David Kennedy. While the crime-fighting approach in this book has many elements that are beyond the scope of a short Forum most, one basis for the approach taken that research demonstrated that it is often a small number of repeat offfenders who are responsible for a disproportionate amount of crime. So I would not be surprised if most of Detroit's worst crimes are committed by a relatively small number of people.
    Good point! Tell that to the dead kid.

Brothers killing brothers in the ghettos of Detroit is almost an everyday thing. To most uneducated young black males in Detroit, they don't know how to grow up and become men because they have little or no father, mentor figure to train them.
    Last edited by Danny; April-05-13 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Brothers killing brothers in the ghettos of Detroit is almost an everday thing.
    I don't think the victim was a "brother", in fact far from it. The kid was working hard to do something with himself when he met his untimely end.

there are so many disenfranchised young men in this city, so many kids that don't expect to live much past twenty, what do you expect?
    Last edited by rb336; April-05-13 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    there are so many disenfranchised young men in this city, so many kids that don't expect to live much past twenty, what do you expect?
    I expect them to pull themselves up by the bootstraps and stop feeling sorry for themselves. I used to have to walk to school 15 miles, both ways, in knee deep snow with no shoes. I worked three jobs in between doing that, took care of three younger brothers, did chores around the house, played on the hockey team, and helped an old lady across the street. I did all of this and still maintained a 4.0 gpa, because I did not sit around all day feeling sorry for myself.

It wasn't easy coming out of the slums eating nothing but a can of pork and beans everyday for breakfast, but it was only my responsibility in life to do something worthwhile for myself. There is NO excuse ever for anyone to not be able to do what I did. Any kid that thinks they have it hard in the city needs to be shipped off to a bootcamp in a third world country somewhere so they can see what having it hard is really about. The city is filled with crybaby creampuffs!

I have no doubt that a large number of robbery related murders are committed by a small number of repeat offenders. That's the reason that I am always glad to hear when an unharmed, yet armed law abiding Detroiter takes out one of these scumbags. Not only are they defending themselves, but they are saving an unknown number of would be victims in the future.

Until we get serious about gun control, on a national level, we will have this.

Unfortunately, few seem to care about spilled blood, particularly when it's young African American males. Though if you look at our elected "leaders" they don't even care if it's little school kids in Connecticut, so maybe there's no hope whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Unfortunately, few seem to care about spilled blood, particularly when it's young African American males. Though if you look at our elected "leaders" they don't even care if it's little school kids in Connecticut, so maybe there's no hope whatsoever.
    I hate when I have to agree so much with Bham1982

Our priorities are wrong.

If we want to reduce gun violence, we need to both reduce the number of guns, educate our youth, provide economic growth, and good public safety.

1) Reduce guns: Get off the eliminate guns bandwagon and push through a reasonable middle ground. Some control is politically acceptable to the majority.

2) Stop fighting Education reform: Detroit fights education reform because it threatens Unions and the status quo. Stop caring about these things and let experimentation flow. Make Detroit the incubator of a thousand new ideas on education. [[Hint: that's not the DPS)

3) Stop fighting the EFM: You want jobs? Its possible. You want to spend your time fighting on behalf of Unions to protect their above-average gains? You can do that. Your choice. Stop supporting those fighting to keep your tax money behind the cloak of democracy. Perhaps there's a good historical argument about white oppression -- but good luck winning that fight. Stop it and get to work on jobs.

4) Let Police innovate: Hold them to high standards, but let them do their job -- so long as they don't profile. If they see someone suspicious -- someone loitering at a drug corner wearing drug attire, they'd talk to them. Work the beat. Work hard. Be fair. Follow the rules. And get the guns off the street. NYPD is doing a better job on gun control than the Democratic party and the ACLU. And they're doing it without racial profiling under strict oversight. S&F is not racial in any way. But do expect that in a mostly black city with mostly black criminals that 90% of stops will be black. And expect that a very small percentage will be arrested. But also expect that a ton of guns will be confiscated, a ton of outstanding warrants will be executed, and that drug-running criminals will start leaving their guns at home.

Of you can fight school, city, and police reforms because in 1/2 of 1% of the cases the reforms aren't perfect.

Your choice. You've been making the wrong choices for years. Stop it.

I saw a gang of guns walking down the street just the other day ,you could tell the leader the 9 mil and his punk followers the little 32 mil , you could just tell the 9 mil was a bad influence on the others .

What's drug attire ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Our priorities are wrong.

If we want to reduce gun violence, we need to both reduce the number of guns, educate our youth, provide economic growth, and good public safety.

1) Reduce guns: Get off the eliminate guns bandwagon and push through a reasonable middle ground. Some control is politically acceptable to the majority.

2) Stop fighting Education reform: Detroit fights education reform because it threatens Unions and the status quo. Stop caring about these things and let experimentation flow. Make Detroit the incubator of a thousand new ideas on education. [[Hint: that's not the DPS)

3) Stop fighting the EFM: You want jobs? Its possible. You want to spend your time fighting on behalf of Unions to protect their above-average gains? You can do that. Your choice. Stop supporting those fighting to keep your tax money behind the cloak of democracy. Perhaps there's a good historical argument about white oppression -- but good luck winning that fight. Stop it and get to work on jobs.

4) Let Police innovate: Hold them to high standards, but let them do their job -- so long as they don't profile. If they see someone suspicious -- someone loitering at a drug corner wearing drug attire, they'd talk to them. Work the beat. Work hard. Be fair. Follow the rules. And get the guns off the street. NYPD is doing a better job on gun control than the Democratic party and the ACLU. And they're doing it without racial profiling under strict oversight. S&F is not racial in any way. But do expect that in a mostly black city with mostly black criminals that 90% of stops will be black. And expect that a very small percentage will be arrested. But also expect that a ton of guns will be confiscated, a ton of outstanding warrants will be executed, and that drug-running criminals will start leaving their guns at home.

Of you can fight school, city, and police reforms because in 1/2 of 1% of the cases the reforms aren't perfect.

Your choice. You've been making the wrong choices for years. Stop it.

Maybw gang colors? Maybe hanging around certain party stores like the one on Mack near Beneteau? Or West Vernor at Hubbard wearing colors or the ubicquitus XXXL white tee shirt & jeans favored by guys who don't want to be helpfully described if something goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    I expect them to pull themselves up by the bootstraps and stop feeling sorry for themselves. I used to have to walk to school 15 miles, both ways, in knee deep snow with no shoes. I worked three jobs in between doing that, took care of three younger brothers, did chores around the house, played on the hockey team, and helped an old lady across the street. I did all of this and still maintained a 4.0 gpa, because I did not sit around all day feeling sorry for myself.

It wasn't easy coming out of the slums eating nothing but a can of pork and beans everyday for breakfast, but it was only my responsibility in life to do something worthwhile for myself. There is NO excuse ever for anyone to not be able to do what I did. Any kid that thinks they have it hard in the city needs to be shipped off to a bootcamp in a third world country somewhere so they can see what having it hard is really about. The city is filled with crybaby creampuffs!
    That first paragraph is a joke, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    That first paragraph is a joke, isn't it?
    I'm kind of hoping both paragraphs are.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Maybw gang colors? Maybe hanging around certain party stores like the one on Mack near Beneteau? Or West Vernor at Hubbard wearing colors or the ubicquitus XXXL white tee shirt & jeans favored by guys who don't want to be helpfully described if something goes down.
    I live two blocks south of West Vernor & Hubbard. I assure all of you that there are no ubiquitous white-tee wearing gang bangers on that corner. I would try one block east on West Vernor & Vinewood in front of the liquor store.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    I used to have to walk to school 15 miles, both ways, in knee deep snow with no shoes.
    You forgot about the part of it being uphill.

But this is why the strike teams are in the city,because of the few terrorizing the majority .

I hate to break it to you but thats just everyday fashion for most young folks in Detroit and they aren't dealing drugs or involved in anything nefarious. Also, believe it or not the people who sell drugs wear clothes from places like Macys, Forman Mills, Footlocker and most other clothing stores at the mall, places alot of regular folks shop. There is no drug dealer clothier.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post

youre smoking dope...

look at Chicago. the most stringent gun laws of ANY CITY IN AMERICA and for the past couple of years its had the HIGHEST NUMBER OF Homicides...

it aint the gun...

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    youre smoking dope...

look at Chicago. the most stringent gun laws of ANY CITY IN AMERICA and for the past couple of years its had the HIGHEST NUMBER OF Homicides...

it aint the gun...
    Not only isn't it the gun, how do you plan on confiscating every handgun and rifle-like weapon people own? I know fanatics that not only own an arsenal of weapons, but have cases of ammunition. Do you plan on conducting paramilitary house to house search and seizures?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-06-13 at 12:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast