Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Church's Chicken in Midtown is on its waning days. Proposal for Development.

I walked past the Church's Chicken today in Midtown, at Forest and Woodward. There was a 'weather card' that stated a proposal to demolish the church's chicken, and build at 2,520sq. foot Lousiana Popeyes Chicken with 52 seats. Hopefully Sue Mosey will have them build to the sidewalk of Woodward, instead of that parking lot. Anyway, Midtown +1

Popeyes > Church's, all day.

I got excited when you wrote that they were planning to demolish Church's, but then I was let down when you announced they were replacing it with another chicken restaurant instead of a zero-setback, multi-story, mixed-use building.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I got excited when you wrote that they were planning to demolish Church's, but then I was let down when you announced they were replacing it with another chicken restaurant instead of a zero-setback, multi-story, mixed-use building.
    bingo. that property deserves something bigger and better.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    bingo. that property deserves something bigger and better.
    Cheesecake Factory.

Oh goody, we lose a Church's Chicken to get a bigger Church's Chicken!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Cheesecake Factory.

Well done.

Cheesecake Factory.
    Even better, an ESPN Sports Zone!!!

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    I walked past the Church's Chicken today in Midtown, at Forest and Woodward. There was a 'weather card' that stated a proposal to demolish the church's chicken, and build at 2,520sq. foot Lousiana Popeyes Chicken with 52 seats. Hopefully Sue Mosey will have them build to the sidewalk of Woodward, instead of that parking lot. Anyway, Midtown +1
    Well, old town Alexandria VA has a Popeyes chicken, in a mixed use building that is on a block with continues frontage with zero setback for an entire block.

There's already a Popeye's in midtown on Woodward and Milwaukee. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there some type of franchise noncompete that states that you can't have two within a certain radius?

hmm... maybe the guys behind the Flavor Flav place want to put in a bid..

Quote Originally Posted by innercitydoc View Post
    There's already a Popeye's in midtown on Woodward and Milwaukee. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there some type of franchise noncompete that states that you can't have two within a certain radius?
    Obviously not since there is a Church's on the corner of Conner & Warren and a Popeye's right across the street.

Quote Originally Posted by innercitydoc View Post
    Unlike having to be issued a liquor license, I don't think you have to be issued a chicken license.

Wouldn't it be an interesting thing if the owner's of the property decided that Detroit was just *so* awesome they would benefit by building a six-story office/residential building with zero lot lines and include a chicken joint on the first floor?

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Obviously not since there is a Church's on the corner of Conner & Warren and a Popeye's right across the street.
    The reference was to 2 Popeye's in close proximity.

Hopefully with more space comes non-locked public washrooms. Or at least more surface area on the outside to let the vagrants piss on the exterior.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    The reference was to 2 Popeye's in close proximity.
    That doesn't make sense.

If the demand is there, you would think a company would want to open as many locations as needed.

For example, it's not uncommon to find 2 or more McDonalds or Starbucks on the same corner in NYC or Chicago.

Same with 7 Mile & Gratiot [[they're one block from each other).

Quote Originally Posted by NoHeartAnthony View Post
    Hopefully with more space comes non-locked public washrooms. Or at least more surface area on the outside to let the vagrants piss on the exterior.
    As long as no Canadians allowed.

I'll do the cavity searches myself.

And I won't be gentle.

Considering there's no stinky grease cloud emanating from that Popeye's in New Center, and that Church's has a bad one, I would consider this a win for Midtown. Popeye's is slightly farther up the fast food chicken food chain, if you ask me.
    They do have that dumpster with big cement block walls on three sides, though, so it's ideal for those caught in a pee-pee emergency. [[Sorry Church's employees; you know it stinks back there anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Same with 7 Mile & Gratiot [[they're one block from each other).
    I meant two of the same franchises. An acquaintance of mine wanted to open a Jets pizza in Midtown but was told he couldn't because it was in a 5 mile radius of the one on Jefferson. Quite a distance. Maybe because business would be cannibalized..I don't know.

I hear you. If you think that Churches is horrid you should see that Popeyes on Milwaukee and Woodward. Talk about scary and grim! Aside from the horrid deep-fried [[if I am doing fried chicken it will not be there) - I'd not want to get out of my car to even go in there and they have no drivethru.

As a rule when I do eat that crap I wanna go thru the drivethru fast-in-a-hurry before I come to my senses to realize what I am doing... For sure I don't want to see what is going on inside.

They're probably closing that Popeyes joint, thus makes strategic sense... and then they can have a drive thru at the Woodward and Forest site.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Oh goody, we lose a Church's Chicken to get a bigger Church's Chicken!!!

Oh goodness, let's not start that topic up over here... LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by NoHeartAnthony View Post

Hah! But I ignore them both as there is 'Manhattan Fried Chicken' on Connor that has excellent chicken and basically fried 'everything' [[they even have fried pickles) when that mood hits me for great chicken wings!

And they seem to do well despite the proximity of the two franchise 'giants'.

Last edited by Zacha341; April-03-13 at 11:14 PM.

Or Taco Hell... No, not that......

Cheesecake Factory.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast