Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Publix sells a frozen Detroit-style pizza. I haven't tried it yet though.

See below:

http://www.publix.com/pd/outsiders-p...RIO-PCI-551384
    The individual who wrote the copy for that prolly wolfed down a jumbo Cheech and Chong style pizza.

Good write up of Detroit restaurants in October 2018 Bon Appetit including Loui's on Dequindre North of 8 Mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get a "Detroit Style" pizza like this one -
    "Lions & Tigers & Squares" in Detroit ?? The short video is awesome, and I want one now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUX7tvF1swA

Looks like Manhattan, in NYC, has beat us at our own game. There also seems to be a severe pepperoni shortage in Detroit area pizzas.
    When I stopped at a new takeout branch of a Macomb Co. legend, they had only two small pepperoni pieces per square slice. Mostly bread.
    And I will never go back again.

I'm paying top dollar now, and will pay more for an awesome pizza like the one in the video. Just sayin'
    No local restaurants are smothering their pizza in that much pepperoni, but some of the best local places include Shield's, Niki's in Greektown, Louie's, you might even try local chains Papa Romano's and Jets

See below:

. BTDT, Don't waste time and money. Genoa salami, crappy everything else. Made in Cleveland. Trust me, they're nasty!

Name:  download [[1).jpg
Views: 981
Size:  2.1 KB
    This is what we have up in Petoskey.

Can't open it up. Good, bad, ???. I always wanted to open a Chinese's place within 40 miles of the Abusable river. You'd make a killing there.

See below:

I bought one at Target down here in Florida and tried it Sunday night. It was fantastic! Well, for a frozen pizza. A little expensive [[$7.99) but delicious. Manufactured by a company from Cleveland?

Quote Originally Posted by pjbear05 View Post
    . BTDT, Don't waste time and money. Genoa salami, crappy everything else. Made in Cleveland. Trust me, they're nasty!
    Respectfully, I disagree. I thought it was pretty good! Especially for a transplanted Detroiter like me who can't get a decent Detroit style pizza [[other than the few Jet's locations we have).

Way before getting into Buddy's/Shields/Cloverleaf etc. I rememeber getting hot Sicilian slices from Buscemi's [[spp?) On Gratiot between 8 and 9 Mile and Gratiot farther North [[Masonic?). A couple of slices, a bottle of pop, and you were good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    Respectfully, I disagree. I thought it was pretty good! Especially for a transplanted Detroiter like me who can't get a decent Detroit style pizza [[other than the few Jet's locations we have).
    thanks but no thanks. Ill make the 15-20 minute drive to my nearest Jet's, or make a clone from scratch.

Name:  Screenshot_2018-10-17-19-39-20.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  115.5 KB
    Just had this one up here in Petoskey via Meijer. Made in New Boston and pretty good

Thanks to YouTube, I've watched hundreds of regional taste tests of pizza.
    And one thing that comes to mind is - a lot of people consider a pizza cheese only. ???

At the other end of the spectrum, people are top loading a pizza crust with white sauce, tuna, clams, goat cheese, pineapple, and avocado. It's a different animal, and needs it's own name.

Maybe SoCal slices or something.

And the above picture of a grocery pizza calling itself Detroit Style is sad because it looks like you only get one pepperoni piece per 1-1/2 slices.

And finally, if they still offer it, if you have a Detroit area Marconi's pizza by you, get the Monday special - Lg. square with your choice of five items - $10 !!!

For me, that's four meats, and a veggie [[onion), for my Doctor.

The best deal as far as I'm concerned. [[And if I mentioned it before in this thread, no, I don't work there.)
    Last edited by Bigb23; October-18-18 at 10:21 PM.

Digorno also has a Detroit Style Pizza that they have been advertising on TV. They call it their new "Crispy Pan Pizza".

Just a head's up. The place is now called Carmoni's - Same pizza, same prices, same staff. Best in Detroit for me.
    I bought two Monday specials for the freezer today !!!!

And finally, if they still offer it, if you have a Detroit area Marconi's pizza by you, get the Monday special - Lg. square with your choice of five items - $10 !!!

For me, that's four meats, and a veggie [[onion), for my Doctor.

The best deal as far as I'm concerned. [[And if I mentioned it before in this thread, no, I don't work there.)

It's always been the best pizza. Chicago style isn't even pizza, New York style is hot garbage. we couldn't keep a good thing a secret forever.

It's funny after reading this thread I would have to agree that Detroit style pizza is "catching on." There is a prominent pizza place in Portland, ME even selling a "Detroit style" pizza, even labeling it as such!

Tomatoes APizza is my favorite but that’s closer to NY style. Chicago style is a quesh not worth waiting for and LC is just a cheap way to get fat on waisted calories. Italian pizza in Italy is my favorite. Like most foods in Italy, it’s slapped together but man does it work so well.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Tomatoes APizza is my favorite but that’s closer to NY style. Chicago style is a quesh not worth waiting for and LC is just a cheap way to get fat on waisted calories. Italian pizza in Italy is my favorite. Like most foods in Italy, it’s slapped together but man does it work so well.
    Italian pizza is usually more refreshing too and less heavy, that's why people often order whole pies to themselves. I agree, it is damn good!

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Tomatoes APizza is New Haven style pizza [[it's delicious!). Not that it matters here, but mislabeling out East might lead to a fight!

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    It's funny after reading this thread I would have to agree that Detroit style pizza is "catching on." There is a prominent pizza place in Portland, ME even selling a "Detroit style" pizza, even labeling it as such!
    Cook's Country [[a spin off of America's Test Kitchen) did a segment making Detroit style pizza. Their presenter even went to the original Buddy's to learn how to make the real deal, before adapting it for the home kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    I would assume you're talking about Otto's. This is a great pizza joint. They have a place in Saco too.

There is also Pizza Rock in Vegas which has every type of pizza imaginable. They refer to it as a Detroit Red Top since they present it like Buddy's. It was fantastic too.

Very popular place in Las Vegas is Nathan's Detroit Style Pizza on the west side. The decor is all Detroit, also.....Red Wings, Tigers, Lions, etc. Its on the far side of town from where I live, but we always stop for a pizza if we have to wander out that way.

http://www.northsidenathanslv.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gencinjay View Post
    I would assume you're talking about Otto's. This is a great pizza joint. They have a place in Saco too.

There is also Pizza Rock in Vegas which has every type of pizza imaginable. They refer to it as a Detroit Red Top since they present it like Buddy's. It was fantastic too.
    I am talking about Otto's, and they are definitely a great pizza joint! Any pizza I have had there is delicious, fresh ingredients, etc.

Living in Hamtramck back in the day Buddies pizza after a softball game or a date was the place to go. Packed together at small tables waiting for your pizza while drinking pitchers of beer was a great way to spend money and time with friends. Then a few doors away was the Turtle Soup In another place that we would haunt just for their Baby Back Ribs alone. Shields Bar was one of our Softball teams sponsors, there we would show our appreciation by trying to drink the place dry.

This clip is from Cook's Country on PBS, Saturday afternoons. Step by Step of Buddie's style.

https://www.cookscountry.com/videos/...it-style-pizza

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast