Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Coincidentally I came across this article that mentions Little Caesar's Detroit style pizza and also gives a shout out to Buddy's: http://www.fastfoodnutrition.org/blo...nutrition.html

I dunno though, Detroit's downtown is bounded by three expressway's and a river,
    The river [[and international border) cuts off Detroit yes much like the lake in Chicago but I have not see any decent argument as to how the freeways are any more of an impediment than 90/94 or the river for Chicago. You have the exact same street crossings coming out of the CBD; whether those crossings are over concrete or water makes no matter.

Can you explain why crossing the river is different than crossing the highway?

The area where you cross the river heading north from the loop in Chicago from Michigan Ave. to Wells St. has always been one of my favorite areas there. It's a really tight, compact area, great for photography. You could almost throw a stone across the river. I've always thought of one side of the river seamless with the other side.
    The Kennedy skirts the outside of the loop where it used to be neighborhoods to the west and business district to the east. It does cut off Greektown, sort of, but that used to stretch further to the east and into the loop.
    On a personal note, I used to get really bad heartburn from Chicago Style deep dish pizza. I can remember when Uno's wasn't a tourist attraction, just a great bar/pizza joint.

What makes folks think that any/every "deep dish" or square pizza is "Detroit Style" pizza?

Here's a quote from the website mentioned in the original Free Press article

Detroit-style pizza is often referred to as “upside-down pizza” or “red top pizza” because of the way its prepared:
    1 – Start with a thick, chewy Sicilian crust
    2 – Line the crust with a layer of pepperoni
    3 – Mound plenty of cheese on top [[traditionally brick and mozzarella) all the way to the edge
    4 – Heap any extra toppings on the cheese
    5 – Drizzle on a thick layer of signature red sauce that trickles through the bubbling cheese

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    The river [[and international border) cuts off Detroit yes much like the lake in Chicago but I have not see any decent argument as to how the freeways are any more of an impediment than 90/94 or the river for Chicago. You have the exact same street crossings coming out of the CBD; whether those crossings are over concrete or water makes no matter.

Can you explain why crossing the river is different than crossing the highway?
    The river has always been there, the expressways ruined neighborhoods in what should be an urban area. I like what they did with I-95 going over the George Washington Bridge into NYC, they have high rise apartments right on top of the expressway.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    The area where you cross the river heading north from the loop in Chicago from Michigan Ave. to Wells St. has always been one of my favorite areas there. It's a really tight, compact area, great for photography. You could almost throw a stone across the river. I've always thought of one side of the river seamless with the other side.
    The Kennedy skirts the outside of the loop where it used to be neighborhoods to the west and business district to the east. It does cut off Greektown, sort of, but that used to stretch further to the east and into the loop.
    On a personal note, I used to get really bad heartburn from Chicago Style deep dish pizza. I can remember when Uno's wasn't a tourist attraction, just a great bar/pizza joint.
    I love the river down in that area, whenever I'm on the Brown Line it's always a great sight going over the river and looking down at that.

I think the Kennedy is further removed from the CBD than I-75 is in Detroit though. The only part that really comes downtown is the connector from Ohio and Ontario Streets and the loop really ends at the river, its the West Loop starting at the river and going west all the way to Ashland.

I've never really liked Uno's, ate there once and thought the line to get in the place was ridiculous. I like Giordano's though, I go to the Hyde Park location on Blackstone and 53rd, it's not as touristy as the one on Rush Street or the one across from the Sears Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    What makes folks think that any/every "deep dish" or square pizza is "Detroit Style" pizza?

Here's a quote from the website mentioned in the original Free Press article

Detroit-style pizza is often referred to as “upside-down pizza” or “red top pizza” because of the way its prepared:
    1 – Start with a thick, chewy Sicilian crust
    2 – Line the crust with a layer of pepperoni
    3 – Mound plenty of cheese on top [[traditionally brick and mozzarella) all the way to the edge
    4 – Heap any extra toppings on the cheese
    5 – Drizzle on a thick layer of signature red sauce that trickles through the bubbling cheese
    Noble Roman's is an Indiana chain that has been in decline. It made it to Toledo and across the midwest in the 90's, but has retreated to a few Indiana locations. Its Sicilian pizza has been its best pizza since the 70's, and it meets all the points of Detroit pizza above, except that it may use straight mozzarella for the cheese. When the few remaining outlets in Indiana have it together, it is still some of the best "Detroit pizza" ever.

P.S.-They did have an ill-fated expansion selling pizza at gas stations. This was not the same pizza at the restaurants, I believe, but perhaps par-baked crusts. They had one in Howell, among other places, for a minute....

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Yep great spot. My husband lived in a high-rise in the Gold Coast when we started dating so spent a lot of time in that area when I first came to Chicago years ago. I wound up working at Randolph & Wacker for several years and so I spent many a lunch break on the river. Something a lot of people forget [[or never notice) is that there are al fresco restaurants below street level along North Wacker. One of my favorites was Lagniappe - a Creole joint with live music on Thursdays. Definitely had a few Abitas there.

It's a beautiful area. I just don't buy that the river is somehow less disruptive than the highway [[especially when the Michigan Avenue Bridge is 250+ feet across) just because it's been there longer. That's a distinction without a difference when it comes to actual development. If and when they fill in the Brush Park area along Woodward, Midtown and Foxtown/Downtown will be just as seamless, especially when the light rail runs right through it.

When I'm in the Windy City it's always Pequods for pizza. But I usually head to Manny's Deli for a roast beef sandwich.

I'm glad this thread about Detroit pizza turned into a discussion about Chicago.

Might as we discuss Chicago, the thread went from the original topic and article on "Detroit Style" pizza... to any deep dish pizza... to which pizza was best or inedible [[we already had a "best pizza" thread http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...zza-in-Detroit)
    Maybe we can "creep" the topic on over to the best Tex-Mex in Houston, or any good Chinese food in NYC... and see where that goes?

Best Pizza...

Green Lantern, Suppinos, Buddys, Shields.

Louis pizza is over the top. Just too much cheese.

Looks like the stay on topic thread police are out in force.

Does anyone know where I can get a "Detroit Style" pizza like this one -
    "Lions & Tigers & Squares" in Detroit ?? The short video is awesome, and I want one now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUX7tvF1swA

Looks like Manhattan, in NYC, has beat us at our own game. There also seems to be a severe pepperoni shortage in Detroit area pizzas.
    When I stopped at a new takeout branch of a Macomb Co. legend, they had only two small pepperoni pieces per square slice. Mostly bread.
    And I will never go back again.

I'm paying top dollar now, and will pay more for an awesome pizza like the one in the video. Just sayin'
    Last edited by Bigb23; October-05-18 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Does any know where I can get a "Detroit Style" pizza like this one -
    "Lions & Tigers & Squares" in Detroit ?? The short video is awesome, and I want one now.

Looks like Manhattan, in NYC, has beat us at our own game. There also seems to be a severe pepperoni shortage in Detroit area pizzas.
    When I stopped at a new takeout branch of a Macomb Co. legend, they had only two small pepperoni pieces per square slice.

I'm paying top dollar now, and will pay more for an awesome pizza like the one in the video. Just sayin'
    A little pizza with that pepperoni?

Funny I too just watched that same video. That's more pepperoni than I want. I'd try it though!

I miss Detroit style pizza. Aside from one Jet's location that's a 20 minute one way drive, I'm out of luck. But when that jones hits, you gotta have it, and even Mrs. Bear gets that. I have easier access to Little Caesers and Hungry Howies, but their squares don't make it. Pizza Hut is downright nasty.

For all you real hardcore addicts, do check out the pizzamking.com website. Info on all things pizza, recepies, message boards, reviews, the whole 9 yards. Look for the Sicilian Style threads in the message boards.

https://www.pizzamaking.com

When I stopped at a new takeout branch of a Macomb Co. legend, they had only two small pepperoni pieces per square slice.

Try the "Detroit Public TV" at Buddy's. Two kinds of pepperoni, two layers, on top of and under the cheese.

Happy's seems to be the current "Detroit Style Pizza" dejour.

Publix sells a frozen Detroit-style pizza. I haven't tried it yet though.

See below:

http://www.publix.com/pd/outsiders-p...RIO-PCI-551384

I've eaten at Lions, Tigers, and Squares a couple times. It is good but I think Emily's does it better if you're looking for Detroit pizza in NYC. Emily's was the first to popularize the style in NYC.

Obviously, neither does it as well as Buddy's, who we can blame for exporting the style.

We've had this many times. Although I prefer Buddy's, this isn't too shabby.

https://www.detroitstylepizza.co/

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Publix sells a frozen Detroit-style pizza. I haven't tried it yet though.

See below:

http://www.publix.com/pd/outsiders-p...RIO-PCI-551384
    I've seen that recently at Target as well. I think the price was $7.99.

I've eaten at Lions, Tigers, and Squares a couple times.
    When I explained all this to the counter kid this afternoon at Hungry Howie's, he thought I was talking about a $40 dollar pizza. Less than $10 at the start. Please Lions & Tigers & Squares, come home. We forgive you.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Happy's seems to be the current "Detroit Style Pizza" dejour.
    What did you just say?
    Worse than Little Cesar’s!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast