Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

LOL!

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...eep-dish-pizza

Here it is! Like clockwork, these chains are all scared of being original. They all offer flavored crusts now. They all have deep dish, wings, breads, subs and survive on coupon induced demand. The only separation is service, image and cleanliness imo.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    LOL!

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...eep-dish-pizza

Here it is! Like clockwork, these chains are all scared of being original. They all offer flavored crusts now. They all have deep dish, wings, breads, subs and survive on coupon induced demand. The only separation is service, image and cleanliness imo.

"We are so thrilled to debut the world's first deep dish flavored crust pizza this month," said Rob Elliott

Huh? Jet's has offered this for at least 5 years, probably longer...

jet's has offered square for over 20 years. found them when i moved to warren. they had them since inception.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    jet's has offered square for over 20 years. found them when i moved to warren. they had them since inception.
    I think HH is trying to reposition itself as offering the first "flavored crust" Detroit style deep dish pizza. Read the fine print.

Much like Little Ceasars getting voted "best value" in America. Instead of getting voted "most bought crap in a corrugated cardboard box".

21st century marketing - If you don't have a competitive advantage - make one up! Look at the car insurance companies. They sicken me with their burnt out, regurgitated rhetoric of "customers who switched from X to us saved an average of $500". They need to shoot themselves asap. Reminds me of:

http://youtu.be/76Oc1rkuOoE

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    I think HH is trying to reposition itself as offering the first "flavored crust" Detroit style deep dish pizza. Read the fine print.

Much like Little Ceasars getting voted "best value" in America. Instead of getting voted "most bought crap in a corrugated cardboard box".

21st century marketing - If you don't have a competitive advantage - make one up! Look at the car insurance companies. They sicken me with their burnt out, regurgitated rhetoric of "customers who switched from X to us saved an average of $500". They need to shoot themselves asap. Reminds me of:

http://youtu.be/76Oc1rkuOoE

The problem is that it's a complete lie. Jet's has offered flavored crust on their deep dish pizza for an extended period of time already. HH didn't even have it until today. Did they even serve deep dish before this, let alone flavored DD?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    The problem is that it's a complete lie. Jet's has offered flavored crust on their deep dish pizza for an extended period of time already. HH didn't even have it until today. Did they even serve deep dish before this, let alone flavored DD?
    Yes, HH has had a deep dish for about 7 years. It was a par bake [[shell) and you could get any flavored crust on it even though the cheese goes all the way to the edge [[as almost all deep dishes do). Jet's skirted the HH trademarks and copyrights by offering to "Flavorize your crust". Don't forget HH is the "Home of the free flavored crust" [[t) [[C). Jet's has always offered garlic, butter and parmesan, but only started offering additional "flavorizers" within the last five years.

Don't get me wrong, they're all out to confuse the customer as to what the real story is, and they all tell themselves that they are the first to offer such a product. LC renamed its deep dish to "Detroit Style". What a joke right?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    The highway is closer to the central business district but my point was more that it doesn't affect foot traffic so it's a non factor.

The same way Chicago built theirs for walkability:

Attachment 18797

So did Detroit:

Attachment 18798

Now compare that to say, my hometown of Houston, where you have to cross under a 6-8 lane highway [[dark, dirty, and wet) to get to our Midtown:

Attachment 18799

Attachment 18801

Or, also in Houston, meander through whatever the hell this is to get to another popular residential area of downtown Houston:

Attachment 18800

Detroit's highway is closer to its CBD than Chicago's [[but does not cut through it by any means), but it's still set up to be a nonfactor when it comes to being able to walk from downtown out to other areas.

Oh and Buddy's is at McNichols and Conant. You could take the bus straight there but it's a ways out of downtown. That's why I was saying they should put a location downtown. I'm not a native - only been here since end of last summer - but Buddy's seems beloved. They should come on down here!
    My point is that in Detroit it breaks up downtown from the rest of the city making it not very walkable, right in the heart of downtown it's different but it'd be nice to see downtown connected to other areas of the city and see those areas develop. I know midtown Detroit has developed a little around the hospital's and Wayne State but it's still not very well connected to any other area of the city.

In Chicago though the West Loop, South Loop, River North and so on aren't broken up by any expressway's, Greektown is but that's a smaller area around Halsted and Jackson. River North is broken from downtown by the river but I think Chicago utilizes that perfectly, then there isn't anything to break up the city going north at all.

I hate the expressway's, they take up too much land and break up neighborhoods but I can see why they are needed. The Dan Ryan sees right around 300,000 vehicles a day, I can't imagine the thru traffic going through Chicago on city streets. That massive expressway is 14 lanes wide with the red line L running down the middle it's crazy how much land that thing takes up.

Getting back on topic though, I would venture up to that area if it was really worth it. I could also drive but I don't like doing that in bigger cities, I only drive when I really have to here otherwise I take the bus or train. I only know about the #53 bus on Woodward because I've come in on Amtrak before and taken the #53 bus downtown. I imagine I'd have to transfer at some point to get to McNichols and Conant though.

Is Detroit on hopstop? If so then I could easily see how to get there on the bus. I was just in Detroit on Sunday to see the massive whooping my Blackhawks put on the Red Wings haha.

I don't see any way Buddy's would open a location downtown because it would take too much business from the original location. I'm not sure a lot of people would go out of their way, into a fairly sketchy area, just to go to the original Buddy's. Although, I suppose both Warren and Dearborn locations are not really that far away, so maybe it could survive it.
    Well here in Chicago we have Al's Beef that has an original location on Taylor and Aberdeen in Little Italy. They have locations all over the city of Chicago and the suburbs.

It would seem like there would be a Little Caesars in the Fox Theater or in that general area since it's owned by Mike "I look like an old lady" Ilitch.

So what is the best pizza in either downtown or midtown? I'm neglecting the rest of the city like the leaders of Detroit do.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoforlife View Post
    It would seem like there would be a Little Caesars in the Fox Theater or in that general area since it's owned by Mike "I look like an old lady" Ilitch.

So what is the best pizza in either downtown or midtown? I'm neglecting the rest of the city like the leaders of Detroit do.
    Niki's is amazing, and Hockeytown has amazing deep dish pizza

My point is that in Detroit it breaks up downtown from the rest of the city making it not very walkable, right in the heart of downtown it's different but it'd be nice to see downtown connected to other areas of the city and see those areas develop. I know midtown Detroit has developed a little around the hospital's and Wayne State but it's still not very well connected to any other area of the city.
    How is this in Detroit:
    Name:  Detroit.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  44.4 KB

any more of an impediment to walking or development than this in Chicago:

Name:  chicago.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  33.6 KB

Or this in Chicago:

Name:  chicago2.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  65.2 KB

You have to cross that ^^^ to get to the West Loop, especially its Restaurant Row at which starts on Randolph at Desplaines or so and heads west, over the highway for several blocks - it straddles the highway. 90/94 certainly is not breaking anything up, nor is the river breaking up River North/Gold Coast/Streeterville from the Loop. I think in some cities, like Houston, it does rope the city in, but that's not the case in Chicago or Detroit [[or other cities that structure their highways in such a manner).

That's exactly why it is thought that the new Red Wings arena and $650M entertainment complex is going right across 75 from Foxtown - it's easily accessible to both midtown and the rest of downtown. Walkable, bikable, driveable, easily.

Getting back on topic though, I would venture up to that area if it was really worth it. I could also drive but I don't like doing that in bigger cities,
    Better not go to any major city outside of Chicago and the Northeast then...LA, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta require cars, fwiw.

Just use Uber. It's newer here in Detroit so I haven't used it but my friends back home in Chicago love it. It must have started up out there after last summer because I don't recall hearing about it at all before I left.
    Last edited by TexasT; April-02-13 at 04:30 PM.

Try Motor City Brewing Works in Midtown. I love that place! If you've ever been to Piece in Chicago, it's very similar [[both are breweries). I liked Piece a lot but I like MCBW even more. I don't believe Piece has a wood-fired brick oven, which probably makes the difference.

90% plus of the pizza available in Detroit is crap! If any eastsider remembers Lombardy's the Italian restaurant located where Blue Pointe is currently located on E. Warren near Cadiuex then you will know what real pizza is supposed to taste like. I have never been a fan of deep-dish/Detroit style, the crust was always way to gooey. The style was a great way to sell junk pizza fast, and I think it was developed to take advantage of the shitty pizza ovens most places use. Even the old stalwart Italian Bakery Bommarito's in St. Clair Shores has let their quality slide over the past few years. Supino's is the only pizzeria that is making a pie that comes close Lombardy's that I have found in town. Pizza Papalis and Niki's are not bad, I wish we had more Supinoesque pizzerias around the city.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; April-02-13 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    90% plus of the pizza available in Detroit is crap! If any eastsider remembers Lombardy's the Italian restaurant located where Blue Pointe is currently located on E. Warren near Cadiuex then you will know what real pizza is supposed to taste like. I have never been a fan of deep-dish/Detroit style, the crust was always way to gooey. The style was a great way to sell junk pizza fast, and I think it was developed to take advantage of the shitty pizza ovens most places use. Even the old stalwart Italian Bakery Bommarito's in St. Clair Shores has let their quality slide over the past few years. Supino's is the only pizzeria that is making a pie that comes close Lombardy's that I have found in town. Pizza Papalis and Niki's are not bad, I wish we had more Supinoesque pizzerias around the city.
    So, what you're saying is you like NY Style pizza?

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Forgot about Supinos. C4L- try that out in Eastern Market. Also good [[still like MCBW better). On Sundays, Sci-Pie pops up in Woodbridge Tavern, but only on Sundays. It's really good experimental pizza [[my favorite is Skrimp City, with mozz cheese, shrimp, and a balsamic reduction drizzle). Yum.

Forgot about Supinos. C4L- try that out in Eastern Market. Also good [[still like MCBW better). On Sundays, Sci-Pie pops up in Woodbridge Tavern, but only on Sundays. It's really good experimental pizza [[my favorite is Skrimp City, with mozz cheese, shrimp, and a balsamic reduction drizzle). Yum.
    One question TexasT how do they cook the pizza in a more traditional oven or with one of the "newer" pizza ovens. For me its all about the crust, most of the toppings are an afterthought.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; April-02-13 at 07:12 PM.

I went to The Woodbridge last Sunday with friends. I didn't realize it was "Pizza Sundays". I'm not a big pizza fan, but had it anyway. I thought it was pretty good.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-02-13 at 05:19 PM.

So, what you're saying is you like NY Style pizza?
    Neapolitan/NY Style! Chicago Deep Dish when down well is ok.

Question about Loui's: Is it newer than it looks? I swear that location on Dequindre in Hazel Park was a bowling alley circa 1970.

I was just in Detroit on Sunday to see the massive whooping my Blackhawks put on the Red Wings haha.
    watch it now...

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    In any case, there are so many other chains out there; unless broke and starving, no reason to ever resort to a $5 Hot 'n Ready.
    Or feeding kids at a party.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Been there. Done that. Only time I ever saw/tasted one.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    Niki's is amazing, and Hockeytown has amazing deep dish pizza
    I've been to Hockeytown Cafe and liked that, I didn't get the pizza though just a burger, fries and beer. I liked that it seemed kind of like a Red Wings museum.

I didn't realize Detroit had a Hard Rock Cafe until the other day, guess I must have missed it all the other times I've spent in Detroit. I don't like Hard Rock Cafe really but I just never noticed it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Feeding kids hot n ready = child abuse

How is this in Detroit:
    Name:  Detroit.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  44.4 KB

any more of an impediment to walking or development than this in Chicago:

Name:  chicago.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  33.6 KB

Or this in Chicago:

Name:  chicago2.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  65.2 KB

You have to cross that ^^^ to get to the West Loop, especially its Restaurant Row at which starts on Randolph at Desplaines or so and heads west, over the highway for several blocks - it straddles the highway. 90/94 certainly is not breaking anything up, nor is the river breaking up River North/Gold Coast/Streeterville from the Loop. I think in some cities, like Houston, it does rope the city in, but that's not the case in Chicago or Detroit [[or other cities that structure their highways in such a manner).

That's exactly why it is thought that the new Red Wings arena and $650M entertainment complex is going right across 75 from Foxtown - it's easily accessible to both midtown and the rest of downtown. Walkable, bikable, driveable, easily.

Better not go to any major city outside of Chicago and the Northeast then...LA, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta require cars, fwiw.

Just use Uber. It's newer here in Detroit so I haven't used it but my friends back home in Chicago love it. It must have started up out there after last summer because I don't recall hearing about it at all before I left.
    You have to cross it to get to most of the West Loop, the West Loop starts at the river and goes all the way to Ashland and then from Grand down to the Ike. The part of the West Loop around Union and Ogilvie Stations is pretty active. But yeah to get to Greektown you have to cross the Kennedy.

I dunno though, Detroit's downtown is bounded by three expressway's and a river, it seems pretty unconnected to the rest of the city as far as ramming expressways through town. Going north and south in Chicago there really isn't any breaking off point except for when you get down by Cermak and McCormick Place and have the Stevenson right there, otherwise I think the Dan Ryan/Kennedy is pretty well removed from downtown.

And yeah I don't like cities where I need a car to get around everywhere.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast