Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Cheesecake Factory is Expected to Open on Merchant's Row This Summer

Per the News Article Below...

APRIL FOOLS!!!

Awesome, that is all Detroit needs is another place selling 3000 cal lunches!

I was going to put together a fake press release and put it up here announcing something similar. Did not have the time over the weekend to fit it in.

I ate in a Cheesecake Factory.

Once!

Don't scare me like that!!!

I have eaten at five Cheesecake Factories [[Chicago, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, Las Vegas and Albuquerque) maybe I'm missing something but I don't get what all the hoopla is about. Maybe I made the wrong selections. What's so great about the Cheesecake Factory? Or is just because it's coming to Detroit?
    Last edited by MidTownMs; April-02-13 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    I have eaten at four Cheesecake Factories [[Los Angeles, Milwaukee, Las Vegas and Albuquerque) maybe I'm missing something but I don't get what all the hoopla is. Maybe I made the wrong selections. What's so great about the Cheesecake Factory? Or is just because it's coming to Detroit?
    You're right, and it's a big tongue-in-cheek joke.

I have eaten at four Cheesecake Factories [[Los Angeles, Milwaukee, Las Vegas and Albuquerque) maybe I'm missing something but I don't get what all the hoopla is. Maybe I made the wrong selections. What's so great about the Cheesecake Factory? Or is just because it's coming to Detroit?
    High Volume. Great Quality. Destination.

CF isn't the greatest restaurant in the world, but they are 100% quality for what they are. Great article in New Yorker recently on CF's quality control and how their approach to food preparation could rescue American health care.

What's so great? They locate themselves in high volume touristy areas and delivery quality. Their arrival would be certification that Detroit has arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    High Volume. Great Quality. Destination.

CF isn't the greatest restaurant in the world, but they are 100% quality for what they are. Great article in New Yorker recently on CF's quality control and how their approach to food preparation could rescue American health care.

What's so great? They locate themselves in high volume touristy areas and delivery quality. Their arrival would be certification that Detroit has arrived.
    See? There's my point, dry humor. "Detroit HAS arrived!" Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ..........

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    See? There's my point, dry humor. "Detroit HAS arrived!" Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ..........

Very Dry...

Where is Merchant's Row, or is that a fib also?

Merchant's Row is roughly Woodward S of Grand Circus to Campus Martius. Not all buildings are owned by the Merchant's Row developers.

The only part that is a fib is there are only a few merchants along this route. Its not from a lack of trying though.

Was the name "Merchant's Row" always around? Or is it another marketing ploy from the past 25 years?

Merchants Row is probably about 12-15 years old. I can't ever recall that area having another name other than Downtown [[which is a larger geographic area).

Cheesecake Factory is overrated IMO.

I have eaten at four Cheesecake Factories [[Los Angeles, Milwaukee, Las Vegas and Albuquerque) maybe I'm missing something but I don't get what all the hoopla is about. Maybe I made the wrong selections. What's so great about the Cheesecake Factory? Or is just because it's coming to Detroit?
    I ate at the one in Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, Illinois one time and wasn't impressed with it. I don't see what's so special about it either, the food was ok but it's nothing I would say I would go out of my way to eat at again.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoforlife View Post
    I ate at the one in Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, Illinois one time and wasn't impressed with it. I don't see what's so special about it either, the food was ok but it's nothing I would say I would go out of my way to eat at again.
    Though I've never eaten @ one , so I really can't say, but I find a lot of over-hyped things end up the same way. If something is genuinely good, it has a way of promoting itself, and word does get out and around.

One restaurant I really liked and I wish they had more of them, or even any of them in the United States [[not sure if they actually do have a location here), but the Spaghetti Factory in Toronto, I happened to like that place.

It was real cool they had a caboose inside that had table seating in it, it looked like an old warehouse. Real cool.

But as far as Cheesecake Factory goes, I'm not too impressed. There is one in the Hancock Building too so if I liked it that much I could get it LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoforlife View Post
    One restaurant I really liked and I wish they had more of them, or even any of them in the United States [[not sure if they actually do have a location here), but the Spaghetti Factory in Toronto, I happened to like that place.

It was real cool they had a caboose inside that had table seating in it, it looked like an old warehouse. Real cool.
    There is one of those 45 mins from Detroit in Toledo. I have also seen one in Newport Beach. They are over here, just not many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    There is one of those 45 mins from Detroit in Toledo. I have also seen one in Newport Beach. They are over here, just not many of them.
    "Factory" must be the new buzz word, like "Cafe" was in the 90's, [[Hard Rock, Rain Forest, etc.).