Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Cafe on Gratiot?

I had noticed that two of the storefronts on Gratiot near Russell have activities going on in them on Friday and Saturday nights. Had the café opened that was suppose to be in one of the spots? I am usually driving and don't have time to pull over and ask

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I had noticed that two of the storefronts on Gratiot near Russell have activities going on in them on Friday and Saturday nights. Had the café opened that was suppose to be in one of the spots? I am usually driving and don't have time to pull over and ask
    Was it Trinosophes?

https://www.facebook.com/Trinosophes

Has to be, and they have been doing periodic events leading up to the grand opening of their space...this place will be very exciting. Finally a place for the BoHouse-in-Exile to land permanently. Go, Joel, Go!

Wanted to bump this, as I dropped into visit Joel yesterday.

The space has developed into a comfortable meeting spot, with very earthy sensibilities and a solid feel of burgeoning tradition. While I was waiting for my espresso and banana bread breakfast, a small group was meeting for what might have been a social or political-action group. Or both, I'd guess, everyone seemed so real.

I overheard Joel explain the selection of teas. Another obsession to appease, if you please, there seems to be no end of the blends. Turmeric and ginger? Geez, made my quick-pressed coffee look quite lame.

But it wasn't. BOTH cups were tastebud sensations. If you're serious about your brew, they've got it, too.

The music space in the next room has grown into its own, which was to be expected, since Joel was everything about the BoHouse when it enjoyed its meteoric rise at its temporary western-somewhat-Corktown location in the distant past. There are a number of pianos fine-tuned with alternate intervals, of which I'm unaware of a match anywhere in town...as well as a baby grand on stage tuned for standard playing.

There is a very interesting development happening next door, a collaboration with Brad Hales of People's Records. It will be MUCH more than a record store...word is there'll be HISTORY on display there...and since he is such the expert on pre-, mid-, and post-Motown DEtroit music...and surrounds himself with some of the greatest enthusiasts I've ever met...I expect the Springtime to bring some displays which will gather folks from all over. It will be another portion of the Music Mecca our friends in the UK and beyond will trek to, in search of the roots of the unique sound which has been one of our chief exports for decades and decades.

I saw one project that looks like another of Marsha Music's partner's art...looking forward to seeing what Philpot has up his sleeve. I'll be adding some restoration of some historic hifi pieces which Brad has collected over the years. Mentioned it to a fellow in Livonia who is growing into a partner in a journalist exercise I'm beginning, and he went ballistic. He is originally from NYC, and knows more of Motown productions, and early Detroit rock-n-roll, than any two civilians I've met. He happened to be playing Suzi Quattro's first album, a fabulous remastered and remixed CD that has me chasing all of her output now. [[I know I'm late to many games, I am unashamed)

Cheers, all, getcher butts to Trinosophes today...support your local coffeeshops. This one is becoming the crema of the croppa...heh.
    Last edited by Gannon; January-29-14 at 07:21 AM.