Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default One man campaign to prove that Windsor doesn't suck

He uses the Twitter handle @WindsorYes. That's original.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/10/12/online-crusade/
    Last edited by 48202; March-30-13 at 07:23 PM.

Can't get there from here. Anymore.

His crusade is noble and humorous at the same time. However, it's tough to overlook that he chose to live in Toronto instead of Windsor.

Ouellette is a cesspool.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Ouellette is a cesspool.
    Explain yourself, monsieur.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Explain yourself, monsieur.
    Just pokin a little fun at your thread. Plenty of friendly places with clean washrooms to take a leak in downtown Windsor, so no argument there. Just wish I could get over there more often but too much hassle getting back through customs.

Just pokin a little fun at your thread. Plenty of friendly places with clean washrooms to take a leak in downtown Windsor, so no argument there. Just wish I could get over there more often but too much hassle getting back through customs.
    The whole town reeks of back-bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    The whole town reeks of back-bacon.
    The thought makes your mouth water, doesn't it?

Haven't smelt that though. I do smell barley from the Walkerville distillery if I'm in that neighbourhood in the east side half the day. Then, there's the burnt tire smell from Zug Island on the west side by the bridge when there are strong winds, but that's about it. IMO they are unbareable "reeking" smells so I try not to spend a lot of time in those areas.
    Last edited by davewindsor; March-31-13 at 02:18 PM.

I agree with your customs point. Crossing the border does "suck" and the $4.50-$4.75 toll for crossing the tunnel each way doesn't make it anymore calming either.
    Last edited by davewindsor; March-31-13 at 02:27 PM.

Easy campaign. It doesn't suck. The border guards, more often on this side, do. Who would have believed, years ago, that it would be easier, cheaper, and less of a hassle to cross borders in Europe, including east and west, than here?

I was once in Windsor and the cops hassled me only because I was under-age and walking down Plessier with a beer I lifted from a bar. Ya think they would be more concerned with the bar owner who served it to my, but I was the one that got the rap with the small bat!

I like how the guy who started this lives in Toronto!! LOL If you're going to live outside Windsor can't it at least be Belle River or LaSalle?
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; March-31-13 at 04:57 PM.

I must say, Downtown Windsor is incredibly depressing, and Ouellette Ave. has to be one of the saddest main streets in human existence.

Is there are large homeless and/or social services population there? It seems that a very high proportion of pedestrians have some sort of physical or mental disability, and most of the businesses cater to the "sketch" crowd [[fake ID stores, tatoo parlors, adult establishments, cash for gold/pawn outlets).

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I must say, Downtown Windsor is incredibly depressing, and Ouellette Ave. has to be one of the saddest main streets in human existence.

Is there are large homeless and/or social services population there? It seems that a very high proportion of pedestrians have some sort of physical or mental disability, and most of the businesses cater to the "sketch" crowd [[fake ID stores, tatoo parlors, adult establishments, cash for gold/pawn outlets).
    Fake ID stores, tatoo parlors, adult establishments are for the college/university crowd that has downtown campuses and Michigan/Ohio students who come over on the weekends to party at the nightclubs [[which there are ton of kiddie bars on Ouellette Ave due to the lower drinking age in Ontario). Normal people go to Devonshire Mall or the strip malls further south.

Yes there is large welfare population in downtown. They are not homeless. Within a couple blocks, you have a huge YMCA shelter and a Salvation Army Shelter and several missionary food banks. You also have several geared to income high rises where people on welfare can get one bedroom apartments for $125 a month. Taxpayers cover everything for people on welfare including free dental and they don't have to put in an hour of community service or do anything for it, and they still beg for change. If you see anyone asking for change on the streets, do not give them anything--it only encourages them to keep doing it and they either take it to the liquor store a few blocks away or feed a nasty crack habit. What happened to downtown Windsor is sad, but it happened over the course of decades and poor municipal leadership.
    Last edited by davewindsor; April-01-13 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Fake ID stores, tatoo parlors, adult establishments are for the college/university crowd that has downtown campuses and Michigan/Ohio students who come over on the weekends to party at the nightclubs [[which there are ton of kiddie bars on Ouellette Ave due to the lower drinking age in Ontario). A lot of taxpayer money is wasted on extra policing at nights and cleanup crews after the bars close. Normal people go to Devonshire Mall or the strip malls further south.

Yes there is large welfare population in downtown. They are not homeless. Within a couple blocks, you have a huge YMCA shelter and a Salvation Army Shelter and several missionary food banks. You also have several geared to income high rises where people on welfare can get one bedroom apartments for $125 a month. Taxpayers cover everything for people on welfare including free dental and they don't have to put in an hour of community service or do anything for it, and they still beg for change. If you see anyone asking for change on the streets, do not give them anything--it only encourages them to keep doing it and they either take it to the liquor store a few blocks away or feed a nasty crack habit. What happened to downtown Windsor is sad, but it happened over the course of decades and poor municipal leadership.

I used to spend my dollars supporting the Fake ID stores in AMERICA! [[as if Canada is not in America... lol). My fake ID came from the place atop the Lindell A.C. Many of my friends got the same ID there. "Official US Identification" notice the absence of the periods changes it. One guy got his from the place next to Lafayette Coney Island. We always had trouble if he was asked to show his.

I like having an international border, and I always had a thing for Windsor, but it does seem to kind of suck these days. I took my girlfriend there for Valentine's Day a couple years ago to Bistro on the River, which at least had a view of the Detroit skyline. The restaurant is now closed. There were some grubby bars and pubs scattered throughout downtown, but none that I remember from years ago. There was a ScotiaBank or two, and not much else. I get the feeling the border tightening really hurt Windsor. It rather reminded me of your average Michigan city [[read: not suburb), and Lord knows how we like to turn our cities into absolute hellholes in this state, unless they're Ann Arbor or Grand Rapids.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I like having an international border, and I always had a thing for Windsor, but it does seem to kind of suck these days. I took my girlfriend there for Valentine's Day a couple years ago to Bistro on the River, which at least had a view of the Detroit skyline. The restaurant is now closed.
    It's whatever you make of it. I spent most of my spare time on a watercraft last summer. I never liked the chief's policy at the Bistro. I thought the building was a big taxpayer subsidized bondoogle anyway.

If you want a much better unobstructed view of the Detroit Skyline, go to the restaurant on the second floor of the Hilton. 12 bucks for a chicken club with salad. The Vu Bar in Caesar's has a great outside patio with a view of the Detroit skyline.

If you want to travel out of downtown, Lilly Kazilly's next to the marina is another good restaurant with both an indoor and outdoor waterfront view.

If you go to the Keg by Devonshire Mall on a Saturday, you'll wait over an hour for seating unless you have reservations because that area is where most people in the city go to these days. The city has its pluses and minuses.
    Last edited by davewindsor; April-02-13 at 09:08 AM.