Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 3 new resturants I'm looking forward too

With all the crazy announcements and all the new construction coming on at break next speed . I'm really interested in 3 new places about to open . Any other foodies please join in.
    In any other city this may not be such a big deal ,but I thin these 3 might stand out .
    It's also important to note the amount of new resturants opening.
    In my recent I've NEVER known detroit to open so many ?
    My three are ottivia via [[michigan ave),the broaderick grill , and new tapas place in midtown on cass . I'm drawing a blank on the name but most of you following this forum will know what I'm talking about.
    I've driven by all three ,just to check out the progress and all 3 are moving along nicely !
    I believe this summer is a big step for Detroit and from here on out I believe things will start to pick up quicker .
    Hold on folks so much is happening right now and the momentum is def picking up !

Actually, when I was in NYC, that bastion of fine dining, any new restaurant created a buzz - ESPECIALLY if it was at the lower to mid parts of the price spectrum.

[[Just a note - NYC has, for he most part, crap Thai restaurants, especially in Manhattan. bland, tasteless LCD garbage.)

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    [[Just a note - NYC has, for he most part, crap Thai restaurants, especially in Manhattan. bland, tasteless LCD garbage.)
    I used to travel to NYC regularly for work, and was uniformly disappointed in most places I ate there, including some nicer places. I had breakfast at a greasy spoon that everyone I talked to said was the best breakfast in midtown - it was on par with a mediocre coney island but at three times the price.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I used to travel to NYC regularly for work, and was uniformly disappointed in most places I ate there, including some nicer places. I had breakfast at a greasy spoon that everyone I talked to said was the best breakfast in midtown - it was on par with a mediocre coney island but at three times the price.

Funny but last ime I was in New York, twenty years ago though, I went to a vietnemese place near chinatown in NYC with my wife and a NY couple who had suggested it. It wasnt expecting this; it was a roll-your-own spring roll with stale rice paste squares [[dry) and all the stuff you usually get in it. Not impressed with da kweezeen. You probably stand a better chance of getting real value in Detroit where the buck stands for something and you expect something in return. Survival of the fittest.

Detroitdave,

The tapas place you're thinking about on Cass is La Feria. They have some pictures of the progress of the restaurant up on their facebook page. Glad to hear the restaurants in the Broderick Tower are moving along! I hadn't heard anything in a while so assumed the restaurants in the building were going nowhere. This is great progress and I do think development is generally picking up! In addition to the ones you named, I'm looking forward to Vegan Soul and Craftwork in West Village. I like the idea of supporting them in their more off the beaten path location.

Eating in Manhattan is definitely going to be [[mostly) disappointing unless you have A LOT of money. Hell, I'd say the fancier parts of Brooklyn are suspect at this point. But go to The Bronx or Queens and you can get crazy cheap, quality Chinese food with portion sizes that'll blow your mind.

Check out Telway on Michigan Ave.....

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Eating in Manhattan is definitely going to be [[mostly) disappointing unless you have A LOT of money. Hell, I'd say the fancier parts of Brooklyn are suspect at this point. But go to The Bronx or Queens and you can get crazy cheap, quality Chinese food with portion sizes that'll blow your mind.
    I had my places - Dojo's by NYU was good, there was a place on the upper west side that had great portobello fajita's [[i think it is gone now), Angelica Kitchen had good to go veggie fare [[I've heard their prices have gone way up) and Two Boots for a slice. the more upscale restaurants I went to all started off very good, but quality plummeted after about 6 months.

I love Telway. my favorite slider joint. yummmmmmm
    Last edited by rb336; March-30-13 at 07:45 PM.

Teleway! What a dive but the greatest coffee, even if you are not interested in the slider burgers! Beats the pants off that Tim Hortons brown water crap....

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Check out Telway on Michigan Ave.....

@tuere Thanks ! that was the place I was thinking about . I really like tapas and looking forward to checking it out !
    Also thanks for reminding me about vegan soul and craftwork, I was in the west village over the summer and stopped in to visit [[Angela ?) at the pop up coffee place and she told me about it .
    One sign of a health city is great new restaurants so I believe this is a very good sign, people with money like to go out to eat !
    @Teleway brown water taste better LOL !
    That crap that Tim Hortons is passing for coffee is undrinkable !

Well two out or three ain't bad !
    I've been to Ottava via , and La Feria and they are both great !
    Now what happen to The Broderick grill ?
    http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...ck-tower-1.php
    Last edited by Detroitdave; November-11-13 at 09:13 AM.

I went to the Jefferson House on Friday and it was AMAZING. After that, I went to Melt right next to La Feria. It was solid. I wasn't overly thrilled about one scoop for three bucks, but I've seen higher prices for Gelato.

@dmike76 I'm don't know Jefferson House I will have to check it out .
    I stuck my head in Melt , it's "cute" and the gelato looks good , I'm kinda spoiled having been to and lived in Rome Italy for a year so I'm picky with my Gelato , but I'll give it a chance and and always open for some new and different !

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    With all the crazy announcements and all the new construction coming on at break next speed . I'm really interested in 3 new places about to open . Any other foodies please join in.
    In any other city this may not be such a big deal ,but I thin these 3 might stand out .
    It's also important to note the amount of new resturants opening.
    In my recent I've NEVER known detroit to open so many ?
    My three are ottivia via [[michigan ave),the broaderick grill , and new tapas place in midtown on cass . I'm drawing a blank on the name but most of you following this forum will know what I'm talking about.
    I've driven by all three ,just to check out the progress and all 3 are moving along nicely !
    I believe this summer is a big step for Detroit and from here on out I believe things will start to pick up quicker .
    Hold on folks so much is happening right now and the momentum is def picking up !
    Leferia tapas is good, get the pork sausage with rice and cumin. then go next door to melt and get gelato and coffee.

ottivia via [[Eight street, not Mich ave) i heare is very good. The broderick grill....is never going to open it seems

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Teleway! What a dive but the greatest coffee, even if you are not interested in the slider burgers! Beats the pants off that Tim Hortons brown water crap....
    Is bad coffee a Canadian thing or something? In our age of increasingly discriminating coffee tastes, Tim's still passes off what appears to be a very hungover person's pee as coffee.

I've never been a big fan of Tim's although with one on every corner here I do drink it sometimes. MacDonald's new coffee is still a mild blend but much better. Tim's is testing a new dark roast coffee now. Not sure if it's available in the U.S. yet.

I am eagerly awaiting the Pie Sci storefront over in Woodbridge. That and whatever the Woodbridge Pub guys have in store for the building at Trumbull and Putnam. Can't wait to see more over in that hood!