Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Maccabees Restaurant Review

We dropped in to the new Maccabees restaurant on the first floor of the Maccabees school building on Woodward just north of Warren last night for dinner.

My Livonia friend and his bride drew us into this place, as they'd already been in last week on the advice of one of her clients, who happens to be the owner Peter's mother.

What an amazing joint. It is beautifully appointed, with acres of dark wood and cool light fixtures, and if you get the right seat...an amazing view of the skylight fading from the huge front window.

But that is just the start of it....the waitstaff is excellent, although I'm biased...one of our downtown buddies is working here now. But I'd never had discussions about high-end food with him at Foran's Grand Trunk pub...he totally smoked my brain with the depth of his knowledge, and after his delivery I left wondering why he wasn't selling more expensive things.

Livonia-friend had the burger again, even after searching the menu for something else to try...it was too great to ignore. Damn thing comes stacked 9-inches high stabbed with a steak-knife to keep it upright. His bride had Lone Ranger, the beef brisket on potato pancake 'buns'...which she also had the last time, and it was so good she didn't dare miss it.

My honey got the cod special, which we all agreed was simply the best cod any of us had ever tasted. I went with their Maccabees & Cheese, which is their version of gormet mac&cheese...with the sliders to start. Server said they had the best mac&cheese in town, and afterward I have to agree with him. One foodie critic complained about the proliferation of mac&cheese on every new restaurant menu, but I have fun using it as a recognizable benchmark.

Their sliders use the same beef brisket...and quite frankly are a meal to themself. I'm still full...twelve hours later!

Owner Peter is engaging and friendly...his welcome to all is palpable. This radiates through the staff, and the whole joint is comfortable and competent...while large enough for big parties. We witnessed two parties build as folks waited on their mates...and it looked like a great time was had by all.

It seems easy at Maccabees, the great time is infectious there.

Cheers

I’ll absolutely second this. Met up with some friends recently en route to the DFT and all loved it. I had the meatloaf — which is definitely not your mother’s meatloaf. If you thumb your nose at meatloaf, you should try this one.

One of the papers quoted the owner as saying he wanted to make the place look as if it had always been in the building, and it does.

My wife, by the way, couldn’t finish her dinner. No problem. The waitress boxed up what was left and we picked it up after the movie.

This places gets some really bad reviews on yelp. Interesting how there can be such a wide disparity of experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    This places gets some really bad reviews on yelp. Interesting how there can be such a wide disparity of experiences.
    Maybe Yelp didn't get any free dinners?

Went to Maccabees with a girlfriend last week; hubby and I went a few days later - I knew he'd love that "9 inch" burger, and he did. It's not fine dining, but it's a nice place to get lunch or dinner. Parking can be scarce if all the meters are taken. Nice, live jazz vocalist in the background, too. Met the chef, an affable, pleasant guy.

One of the many things that bugs me about yelp is that they filter some of the reviews if their computer somehow figures out that it is spam. You have to scroll to the bottom to "unlock" the filtered reviews which honestly are some of the better, both good and bad, reviews for most places.

I tend to take yelp reviews with a grain of salt. I think complainers are more likely to comment than those who are satisfied.

Anyone remember when that was a Hardees?

Some great metal work in that place from one of Detroit's great current artist Len Speedcult https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Goodness I do remember the Hardees... Makes me feel old...... I even recall Schnelli Deli around the corner and the Kinkos on the corner and later the McDonalds where the WSU Welcome Center is... and of course Z's Place!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Anyone remember when that was a Hardees?

I've been there for dinner a couple of times. Everyone was really nice but the service was so-so. Both times it seemed as if they were both unprepared and inexperienced. Not a deal breaker. Food was solid. Their fish tacos are awesome.

Yelp is basically the internet food mafia, if you don't pay for protection all sorts of ugly things can be allowed to happen...and oddly now, it seems good things can be suppressed as well. I won't join their game, and obviously Peter the owner hasn't either. This isn't his first restaurant.

But not unlike any new machine or system, there are wrinkles to work out in the flow. In our group of four, one ordered a special...which could not be entered into their automatic and instant computer communications with the kitchen. Our waitperson didn't know that it didn't get ordered until he went to assemble the main course. So, that fabulous cod was late getting to the table, which any official food critic would go bonkers over.

My sliders came early, as they are usually appetizers when I was having them as part of my main course. Another simple mistake. And their tag system, when another server grabs food to be delivered for peak efficiency, needs a bit of polishing...we got offered twice sliders heading to the bar, part of our waitperson's section...but we had fun trying to hi-jack them. Enough for the helpful worker to know we didn't deserve 'em.

And if I was to be a real stickler, there was something off with the Guinness Stout tap that I couldn't quite identify...and they didn't have the depth of Michigan beers I'd love to see, although they are versed in 'em and pick a selection of the top four to be tapped for the season. Not bad.

But nothing at all beyond new-joint growing pains, the core of this place is solid...and the food is stellar.

They have valet now, the jazz music is only on Thursdays, and I'll let you know more when we go back...because there is no IF!

Cheers
    Last edited by Gannon; March-31-13 at 10:11 AM.

And Roscoes right there on the corner....I've spent many hours in that arcade...

I've had two excellent experiences there so far, including a delicious grouper sammich. I highly recommend it. And be sure to step into the building's lobby and check out that incredible mosaic ceiling.

I found the decorating on the restaurant's back wall to be a tad, oh, "borrowed" from somewhere familiar: http://tinyurl.com/bqc8g86
    But they say imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

I've been there a few times. It is well put together, the staff is friendly and courteous, young WSU students it would seem. The food is average American fare. Good, but nothing to write home about.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Yelp is basically the internet food mafia, if you don't pay for protection all sorts of ugly things can be allowed to happen...and oddly now, it seems good things can be suppressed as well. I won't join their game, and obviously Peter the owner hasn't either. This isn't his first restaurant.

You make it sound like random diners aren't leaving reviews of restaurants on Yelp.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    You make it sound like random diners aren't leaving reviews of restaurants on Yelp.
    You make it sound like everything that gets uploaded onto the internet is not subject to algorithms designed to have an interesting effect on how the truth is perceived.

Or that other forces cannot edit or manipulate what random diners post...do you really always believe what you read on-line?!

You make it sound like everything that gets uploaded onto the internet is not subject to algorithms designed to have an interesting effect on how the truth is perceived.

Or that other forces cannot edit or manipulate what random diners post...do you really always believe what you read on-line?!
    WOW.

I just want to quote this so it won't be lost if you wise up and try to edit it.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    WOW.

I just want to quote this so it won't be lost if you wise up and try to edit it.

Why would I want to change anything?!

Do you really think that everything ever posted on Yelp still exists on it today?! Everything on this forum?! Of course not. Sometimes things conveniently disappear, due to forces beyond even the control of the site owner.

Just an FYI for everyone, this is a place owned by a family that owns a number of really good restaurants. They also own and run the Gateway Deli at Fort and Washington.

Does this place also have a bar? I was thinking about stopping in for a beer when I was over there the other day but ended up going to the Bronx instead.

I stopped in for the first time two days ago. Decor was great, service was solid, menu and food could have used some improvements. The pickle with my food had no crunch. I'd give it a B+, and encourage others to try it.

Well it is close by and not likely to be held up and robbed by some fools ala the known proximity and fast response of the WSU rollers [[police). I will be trying it out asap! Doing that giant burger. Sounds yummy...

Why would I want to change anything?!

Do you really think that everything ever posted on Yelp still exists on it today?! Everything on this forum?! Of course not. Sometimes things conveniently disappear, due to forces beyond even the control of the site owner.
    You must have read my post and then attributed all of the voices in your head to me.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Does this place also have a bar? I was thinking about stopping in for a beer when I was over there the other day but ended up going to the Bronx instead.
    Yes - a very nice bar. It is a nice addition for the area. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Bronx, Old Miami, Honest John's, and Temple Bar, but it's nice to have a place where you can see the light of day when you're inside

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast