Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Huge News: Papa Joe's Market opening 15,000 sq ft store downtown

It's in the thread about Gilbert's big reveal today, but this one deserves its own thread.

Papa Joe's Market will be opening a 15,000 sq ft store in the First National Building. Will contain grocery, catering, prepared foods, outdoor seating and a full bar.

Damn. That is impressive. Papa Joe's is some fine eatin. Pricey, but top-flight stuff.

Yup, huge news. A grocer in walking distance [[I'd bet a lot of people in the Grand Circus area like in the Broderick, Kales, etc work downtown) is one of those huge quality of life issues when making a choice to move downtown. Get that CVS at Campus Martius to extend its hours and we're in good shape!

For reference, 15,000 sq ft is about the size of an average Walgreen's, and about the same size as HoneyBee La Colmena in Mexicantown.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    For reference, 15,000 sq ft is about the size of an average Walgreen's
    Perfect. It's about twice the size of Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe [[8100 sq feet). Plenty big.

That is pretty big news. Definitely aimed straight at Whole Foods.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Perfect. It's about twice the size of Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe [[8100 sq feet). Plenty big.
    Yep, pretty cool, but YOBS4LIFE.

Has anyone been to Papa Joe's other locations? What are they like? Is this a Whole Foods type grocer? More like a Busch's/Hiller's? Will it be similar to YOBS?

For reference, 15,000 sq ft is about the size of an average Walgreen's, and about the same size as HoneyBee La Colmena in Mexicantown.
    YES! Honey Bee!!!!!!

What! A market that size. Gilbert must be out of his mind. But if the he had to bring exotic market that looks like Whole Foods and Ye Ole Butcher's Shoppe that so be it.
    Last edited by Danny; March-28-13 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    What! A market that size. Gilbert must be out of his mind. But if the he had to bring exotice market that looks like Whole Foods and Ye Ole Butcher's Shoppe that so be it.
    You might want to read the details its much more than just a market. Catering, prepared foods, full bar, outside seating and while they don't mention it a delivery service. It's exactly what you want down there.

Has anyone been to Papa Joe's other locations? What are they like? Is this a Whole Foods type grocer? More like a Busch's/Hiller's? Will it be similar to YOBS?
    I'd say it's more like a Salvaggio's. Prices can be high but they don't carry junk.

I'm sure they could jam a lot of stuff in that 15,000 square feet. The Birmingham location is relatively tiny, but they seem to carry everything. Even the "big" one in Rochester isn't that big.

I never heard of Papa Joe, is this a local chain? If so, is it concentrated on the east side suburbs?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I never heard of Papa Joe, is this a local chain? If so, is it concentrated on the east side suburbs?
    Well, there's one in Birmingham and one in Rochester

Are they going to accept EBT cards?

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Well, there's one in Birmingham and one in Rochester
    Ahh I guess that goes to prove that I am from unwashed trash stock!

Maybe I should move to Taylor?

I only have been to the one in Birmingham but its way over priced. Whole Foods would destroy this place 10 out of 10 times. Hopefully it works out but I don't want to be the debbie downer in all of this but that place has the biggest markup and the stuff there isn't that special.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    I only have been to the one in Birmingham but its way over priced. Whole Foods would destroy this place 10 out of 10 times. Hopefully it works out but I don't want to be the debbie downer in all of this but that place has the biggest markup and the stuff there isn't that special.
    I'll just have to wait and see I guess! Checked out their ad today and prices seemed reasonable [[.79 for broccoli crowns, .69 for Roma Tomatoes, 3.99-7.99 for lunch meat, etc). Maybe they just have really good sales though.

Whoa ! I didn't see that coming ! Awesome news , keep it coming !

Quote Originally Posted by ElbertHanks View Post
    Catering, prepared foods, full bar, outside seating and while they don't mention it a delivery service. It's exactly what you want down there.
    Prepared foods? Bar? Outdoor seating? Don't tell stasu about this. Sounds like a cross between the Red Grape Lounge and Jazz Convenience Store that he hates so much further up Woodward.

Snarkiness aside, I'm guessing this will fill up those empty storefront spaces with all the graphics that are on the Cadillac Square side adjacent to The Roasting Plant coffee shop. They should make good neighbors and the sidewalk there is perfect for outdoor seating.
    Last edited by downtownguy; March-28-13 at 04:58 PM.

I'll just have to wait and see I guess! Checked out their ad today and prices seemed reasonable [[.79 for broccoli crowns, .69 for Roma Tomatoes, 3.99-7.99 for lunch meat, etc). Maybe they just have really good sales though.
    I'm guessing they will have more of a food court type of setting as their prime business.

Great news. The Papa Joes in Rochester has a really great wine selection other than that I can't say much else about the store.

I love the idea. Downtown would be a unique downtown different from Chicago, New York, and Atlanta. I love the choices downtowners, midtowners, and Lafayette Parkers will have this summer. A grocery store within walking distance for each and another one within a short distance from the other.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Great news. The Papa Joes in Rochester has a really great wine selection other than that I can't say much else about the store.
    Surprisingly enough, the only neighborhood in the "Elite 3" that won't have a walkable grocery store by EOY is...Corktown. Didn't expect that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Prepared foods? Bar? Outdoor seating? Don't tell stasu about this. Sounds like a cross between the Red Grape Lounge and Jazz Convenience Store that he hates so much further up Woodward.

Snarkiness aside, I'm guessing this will fill up those empty storefront spaces with all the graphics that are on the Cadillac Square side adjacent to The Roasting Plant coffee shop. They should make good neighbors and the sidewalk there is perfect for outdoor seating.
    LMAO. I think that this Bar will be much better managed and will blend in with the setting compared to Red Grape Lounge. I hope that Gilbert will put a Target or something as such in that spot. The Jazz Liquor Store is just in the wrong area. I should be ummmmm on Piquette and John R

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast