Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Gilbert's Plan: Downtown Detroit as a Pedestrian Paradise

Some very interesting propositions and news here. We'll probably learn more as the invite-only event's details get leaked/released afterward.

I think Detroit is built perfectly for this kind of thing. There are little parks around everywhere and things are fairly spread out for a large city. Grand Circus, Capitol, Hart Plaza, Campus Martius, Cadillac Square and Harmonie Park all provide good breaks to the cityscape to benefit a plan like this.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...n-paradise.php

i love the buildings in the rendering located behind the first national building. i do think having only a three story structure on the monroe block is a colossal mistake though. that block deserves something at least as tall as compuware.

fingers crossed there will be more renderings!

Gilbert's fine tuning. I hope his wife does the color scheme...

Is he proposing that Cadillac Square be closed to vehicles?

I LOVE it!!! Cant wait to hear about which particular retailers coming down. This is so exciting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Is he proposing that Cadillac Square be closed to vehicles?
    I don't think so, it looks like there are vehicles in the rendering. Besides, that would probably be a colossal mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by DTFellow View Post
    I don't think so, it looks like there are vehicles in the rendering. Besides, that would probably be a colossal mistake.
    colossal mistake indeed. it looks like it just might be limited to one lane going each way. you cant completely cut it off, it would be washington boulevard all over again.

Not to be too nitpicky, but if you look at that rendering I think those are supposed to be food trucks. The one heading away from CM looks to have to drive through a bunch of tables. That and there seems to be no road connection to Woodward and people walking in what would be traffic. To me the rendering looks like at least a portion is going to be closed to traffic.
    Last edited by bailey; March-28-13 at 11:15 AM.

I don't know... in Minneapolis one of the main avenues downtown is closed to traffic [[except hybrid buses and taxis) and it works really well. There are food trucks, a weekly farmers market, lots of out door seating for restaurants, etc. The busiest and most popular bars and restaurants are on that street, so it doesn't seem to hurt business.

Yes, I agree.

Why? It's very easy to get around there without ever using Cadillac Square. Just hop one road up to Farmer/Monroe or down to Congress. I think it would be a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by detmsp View Post
    I don't know... in Minneapolis one of the main avenues downtown is closed to traffic [[except hybrid buses and taxis) and it works really well. There are food trucks, a weekly farmers market, lots of out door seating for restaurants, etc. The busiest and most popular bars and restaurants are on that street, so it doesn't seem to hurt business.
    From what I've seen, it works best when the area is already a destination, such as Times Square [[which itself isn't completely closed off to vehicular traffic). I would like to see American cities get away from the school of thought that an environment has to be either pedestrian friendly or automobile friendly, with no middle ground.

In Gilbert's new envisioning of downtown Cadillac Square would probably make a great candidate for something like what they've done with Exhibition Road in London: http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesi...-road-cultural

From the article originally posted:

"Features like sections of cobblestone and streets closed on certain days of the week should make a more walkable ambiance."

I suggest some of you read before you speak!

The overall idea seems good but I don't think this is going to be the key component in improving the vibrancy of downtown. There are already plenty of parks and public spaces. Back in the 70s and 80s, didn't we already try something similiar to this on Washington Blvd [[red metal thing) and on Woodward [[widening of sidewalks with metal stick people figures), then 25-30 years later we demolished that to open the streets back up? Now we are talking about closing them again?

In my opinion, don't waste the money or time on creating more closed off pedestrian spaces. Let's just use what we have by filling storefronts with name brand but unique retail and dining establishments, continue the development of turning parking lots into class A residential space and we will only see downtown flourish.

there was a big rumor post about this a little while back. can anyone find it? i cant seem to find it... also the addition of the light rail into the render was a nice touch.

A new marketing campaign called Opportunity Detroit featuring Kid Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    i love the buildings in the rendering located behind the first national building. i do think having only a three story structure on the monroe block is a colossal mistake though. that block deserves something at least as tall as compuware.

fingers crossed there will be more renderings!
    I agree. That parking lot needs something that uses the entire space. A residential high rise with ground floor retail would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    there was a big rumor post about this a little while back. can anyone find it? i cant seem to find it... also the addition of the light rail into the render was a nice touch.

Back in january there was a long threat speculating on retail that Quicken might bring in downtown.

What time is this meeting and why is it being held at Ilitch owned City Theater? Could this be a cooperative billionaire scheme to fill downtown with neon lights, giant plastic animals, and rainbow bright color schemes? Or maybe just multiple developments being unveiled on the same day: Gilberts retail master plan, new red wing arena/entertainment complex...

I could see blocking off the south side of Cadillac Square temporarily, like at lunch time during the summer months. However, the north side should stay open to traffic because it helps to get back to Campus Martius when you can't find a parking space on Monroe. Also, if residential goes on that parking lot across from Cadillac Square and it has ground floor retail, that retail is going to need parking in front. Permanently closing the roads around Cadillac Square would be a bad idea.

Live stream of the Gilbert presentation...

http://www.wxyz.com/subindex/news/news_livestream2

Sorry for the duplicate - Spartan beat me to the punch

I think the sidewalks in downtown are wide enough. Also, putting a walkway through the median along Woodward wouldn't increase pedestrian traffic. It would actually divert pedestrians away from the retail or restaurants along the current sidewalks. Gilbert has to remember, Campus Martius is the focal point of Lower Woodward. You don't want to distract people on their way to it.

Those of us with longer memories remember that closing off Woodward and Washington Blvd. dealt the death blow to downtown retail. Other American cities have experimented with this same notion, which does sound good on paper, with similar poor results, including several here in Michigan. I truly hope that we don't have to go around that particular cycle of civic disaster again.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast