Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default And It Begins [[Federal Lawsuit Against EM Law)...

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Detroit
    — Opponents of Michigan's new emergency manager law, which goes into effect today, filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Detroit on Wednesday, saying the legislation deprives citizens of "constitutionally protected rights" and dilutes their vote.

A news conference has been set for 10:30 a.m. today at AFSCME headquarters in downtown Detroit, said John Philo, interim executive director and legal director of the Sugar Law Center, a nonprofit social justice organization.

Public Act 436 gives broader powers to emergency managers statewide, including the right to modify or throw out union contracts. Opponents say it too closely mirrors Public Act 4, the previous law voters repealed in November.

The lawsuit, which is seeking an injunction to stop the law from going into effect, claims the new law infringes on citizens' voting rights and violates collective bargaining rights and the equal protection clause of the U.S. Constitution...
    Last edited by 313WX; March-28-13 at 08:56 AM.

Noticed that the article also mentions a lawsuit by “labor activist” Robert Davis to subpoena Gov. Snyder, Treasurer Andy Dillon and EM Kevyn Orr regarding the “Open Meetings Act.”

This reminded me that Davis has two outstanding Federal indictments; one indictment for stealing $125,000 from Highland Park Schools and a second indictment for filing false income tax returns.

Anybody know more about those indictments/prosecution?

Just more people without a solution trying to protect union interests.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I'm more than OK with good and fair wages and a decent retirement. But government pensions of six digits is never appropriate while others struggle. Some here like to fight against corporations. And that's a fair debate. But they shouldn't forget that the common man is also being abused by their peers, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I'm more than OK with good and fair wages and a decent retirement. But government pensions of six digits is never appropriate while others struggle. Some here like to fight against corporations. And that's a fair debate. But they shouldn't forget that the common man is also being abused by their peers, too.
    Did the common man receive the memo informing him of this?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-28-13 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    Noticed that the article also mentions a lawsuit by “labor activist” Robert Davis to subpoena Gov. Snyder, Treasurer Andy Dillon and EM Kevyn Orr regarding the “Open Meetings Act.”

This reminded me that Davis has two outstanding Federal indictments; one indictment for stealing $125,000 from Highland Park Schools and a second indictment for filing false income tax returns.

Anybody know more about those indictments/prosecution?
    "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...."

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...."
    Hmmm… Since I am not under indictment [[Federal or otherwise) I thought it was a legit question.

Hmmm… Since I am not under indictment [[Federal or otherwise) I thought it was a legit question.
    Good Lord, not YOU, DAVIS!

In other news ...

"A lead balloon was launched today in front of two dozen believers ..."

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    In other news ...

"A lead balloon was launched today in front of two dozen believers ..."
    Gnome -- you are gracious calling them believers. I would be less gracious. What these folks are doing is more like tossing heavy luggage into lifeboats.

Yes, Honky Tonk is referring to Mr. Davis who is casting stones while sheathed in sin.

I continue to see this push back from a lot of avenues, all in the name of protecting Detroit. I have yet to see ANY form of a solution from these entities whatsoever. How on earth can people continue to conduct themselves this way. Either be part of the solution, of GTF out of the way!

Oh! please Mr. Robert Davis, enough with the courts and lawsuits. The political war is over. Snyder, the Nerd did his best to find the right man for the job. I don't see Highland Park, Allen Park, Benton Harbor, Flint and Ecorse complaining about their EFMs [[yet). Cease the desist your political debauchery immediately!

Does this have anything to do with the full lockdown at the CAY today?! Something about EM protestors getting out-of-hand, even the courts stopped while the building was on pause.

I heard this from someone reliable who works in the building, but even they were amazed that there was no obvious outside activity, and nobody I know who works across the street noticed anything odd either.

Not a squeak in any media on this...but the words 'riot in the lobby' were in my source's description.
    Last edited by Gannon; March-28-13 at 09:57 PM.

Correction, Channel 4 just had a blurb on it...but I didn't hear what Devin said.

I already put my earplugs in against the hum.

G'night. Hope somebody caught it.

Nothing on the ClickonDetroit website, but I found this?!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/R...z/-/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Nothing on the ClickonDetroit website, but I found this?!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/R...z/-/index.html
    Here come the free money hounds.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    While I won't argue that the unions are not looking out for their own best interests, to say that no solutions have been offered is not accurate & a mischaracterization of the legislative history of this newest iteration of the EM law. The unions, the Mayor & the State through the contractor it approved to monitor the negotiations, Ernst & Young [[I believe) agreed on union contracts in late 2011, but according to the Mayor, the State told Bing not to submit them to the City Council for approval [[but no reason was ever provided publicly, to my knowledge).

And regarding the new EM law, it was rammed through the Legislature without enough time for the public to review & comment on the final draft.

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    While I won't argue that the unions are not looking out for their own best interests, to say that no solutions have been offered is not accurate & a mischaracterization of the legislative history of this newest iteration of the EM law. The unions, the Mayor & the State through the contractor it approved to monitor the negotiations, Ernst & Young [[I believe) agreed on union contracts in late 2011, but according to the Mayor, the State told Bing not to submit them to the City Council for approval [[but no reason was ever provided publicly, to my knowledge).

And regarding the new EM law, it was rammed through the Legislature without enough time for the public to review & comment on the final draft.
    I think you do have a point about the debacle with the labor contracts.

Although Bing turned down the agreed upon labor contracts during the negotiations prior to the implementation of the consent agreement, he essentially imposed the same contract AFTER the consent agreement was signed. That much does stink to the high heavens.

But I'll say it again, Detroit belongs in bankruptcy court. It's not that I don't believe Detroit has severe financial problems, rather I'm not feeling how Detroit's financial problems are being resolved presently.

And of course the legislature passed PA 436 overnight, despite the fact that 82% of Detroiters [[with a 50% voter turnout) turned down the same law they're being grandfathered into. After all, PA 4 was drafted specifically for Detroit.