Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Two DPD Cops Arrested In Separate Felony Cases

[[WXYZ) - A Detroit police officer and a civilian were arrested on Wednesday in connection with an armed robbery investigation, according to police sources.

Sources also tell 7 Action News this is a Michigan State Police investigation.

The two are currently being held in a Taylor police lock-up pending a Thursday morning arraignment.

It is alleged the pair were involved in the robbery of stores in Taylor.
    http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/detroit...-armed-robbery

A Detroit police officer who runs a program for troubled teens has been arrested on felony criminal sexual conduct charges involving a victim age 13 to 15.

Geoffrey Townsend, 45, was arrested Tuesday on 3rd degree criminal sexual conduct charges and booked into the Oakland County Jail, where he remains in lieu of $25,000 bond.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2013032...-Check-Detroit

Detroit's 'Finest'.

Maybe with the new $65 mil police station and snazzy cop cars, things will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Maybe with the new $65 mil police station and snazzy cop cars, things will get better.

I doubt those two things will help as they are irrelevant to good institutional policies but I am looking forward to a police chief who can get things in order. I know some great DPD officers but that place has some deep issues.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    I doubt those two things will help as they are irrelevant to good institutional policies but I am looking forward to a police chief who can get things in order. I know some great DPD officers but that place has some deep issues.
    What gave it away? The constant Federal scrutiny of the DPD? I don't think there hasn't been Federal involvement in the DPD for 25-30 years. My post was sarcasm. It's typical Detroit BS. Let's put lipstick and a hat on a pig, there, isn't that cute?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What gave it away? The constant Federal scrutiny of the DPD? I don't think there hasn't been Federal involvement in the DPD for 25-30 years. My post was sarcasm. It's typical Detroit BS. Let's put lipstick and a hat on a pig, there, isn't that cute?
    The businesses that donated the police cars are simply doing what they can to help the police situation - I don't think it is putting lipstick on a pig any more than me cleaning up my yard is putting lipstick on the pig that is the blight of the city. I am happy to have the new cars. While I won't bash their donation, I don't think it solves any fundamental problems with DPD. It needs a structural reorganization and institutional overhaul.

The businesses that donated the police cars are simply doing what they can to help the police situation - I don't think it is putting lipstick on a pig any more than me cleaning up my yard is putting lipstick on the pig that is the blight of the city. I am happy to have the new cars. While I won't bash their donation, I don't think it solves any fundamental problems with DPD. It needs a structural reorganization and institutional overhaul.
    The cars are needed because, of course, the city Fathers thought it was more important to address the actual structure then the equipment, diligence, response time, and crime stats. Instead of providing a safe, secure environment, they deemed it more important to provide a symbol. Does it makes sense to sink $65 mil into a station, and have other stations operating during our normal business hours of 8-5? Then cutting the salaries of the people actually doing the work? To me it doesn't. It shows a serious lack of leadership and priorities. And until you seriously address these issues, you have nothing but fluff.

I think you are misinterpreting what I mean by structural changes. I do not literally mean the structures in which DPD is housed. I mean the structure of the organization and policies of DPD [[hence the references to "institutional policies" and "institutional reorganization"). The reorganization would address response time, training, number of cops on the street, morale, etc.

I think you are misinterpreting what I mean by structural changes. I do not literally mean the structures in which DPD is housed. I mean the structure of the organization and policies of DPD [[hence the references to "institutional policies" and "institutional reorganization"). The reorganization would address response time, training, number of cops on the street, morale, etc.
    I think you misinterpreted my misinterpretation of your misinterpreted post. I knew exactly what you meant. I'm not as dumb as I look.

Not hiring people who have criminal records would be a good start.