Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    detroitrmc Guest

Default I'm done. The people on this site are pathetic

I joined this site back in its humble beginings. Just the name "yes". Attracted me to it. I was new to the city and had started a business. It was great to here of other people trying to make a go of it in this city.

As time dragged on and times got tough I had to leave the site as it become a site for naysayers rather than do-ers.

I happened to hop on the site a couple days ago and clicked on the first thread that caught my attention a woman from Canada considering moving to Detroit. I was so distraught at the answers that were being thrown out there that I tried to login with my old name to respond but it was so long ago that I had to sign back up. The negativity just blew me away. Comments from people who obviously don't live here and get all their news from the tv and Fox News.

I just can't understand why some of the regular people who post here waste so much of their time talking trash about Detroit. Do they have nothing better to do. Are they confined to a bomb shelter waiting to for the en of the world like those crazy realty shows.

It's been fun visiting again. I've been a member for 3 days again but I'm going to say goodbye and find some other place that has constructive conversations, maybe if there is someone that agrees with me they can start a new website where people like
    Bham1982. Who lives in Ypsilanti. Detroit nerd - wont disclose where he's from [[my guess is not detroit). Rolfsy who lives in Ferndale [[wants to be a detroiter but can't quite make the commitment).
    Iheartted. You are from New York [[piss off)
    And wow. Shollin. Why are you on this site. I am betting you are an angry white overweight white male. Single. Get a life.

Jt1. Too funny.

It's been fun for a few days.

Detroit is a great place. Been here over 10 years and I love it. Over 100 employees and I know of nowhere else where one person can make such a difference. I am looking forward to seeing the continued revival of the great city.

If it aggravates you, that is the best choice, but it can be interesting. In any case, good luck and perhaps your time can be better spent figuring out how to employ more people! One problem with forums like this is that they suck up time that could be better spent productively. I certainly spend more time here than I could easily justify.

Aw come on, give it a couple more days. It's probably just a lunar cycle or something. Maybe some people got some bad clams and their digestive tract is trying to make a comeback.

Some of the people appear to have been having bad luck with their clams for a while.

detroitrmc Guest

One more. I didn't mean for that to come across as all people on this site are patheitic. I read some very positive stuff from real detroiters and or people who care and want to see it succeed. It's a shame that some make it such a negative experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I certainly spend more time here than I could easily justify.
    I can relate to that.

This is worse than when someone makes a Facebook update to tell everyone that they're leaving because they hate Facebook. Just go.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    This is worse than when someone makes a Facebook update to tell everyone that they're leaving because they hate Facebook. Just go.
    True.

Leaving isn't going to change how people post on this forum [[nor is it going to hurt their feelings).

It's "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder" or "Shell Shock" or "Battle Fatigue." It's the sense that things have been so bad for so long that normal scales no longer apply. It's a new world.

BTW, Bham1982 has made it painstakingly clear that he's a proud resident of Birminghan [[not Ypsilanti), thus his username "Bham."

Shollin Guest

So you're going to leave this site like the people leaving Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    BTW, Bham1982 has made it painstakingly clear that he's a proud resident of Birminghan [[not Ypsilanti), thus his username "Bham."
    Also if I remember correctly Detroitnerd grew up in the burbs and now lives in the city. Last if you post on here a very thick skin is a requirement.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; March-27-13 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Last if you post on here a very thick skin is a requirement.
    I can relate to that too.

I've recently registered on this site and quickly reached the same conclusion after my second post. This site is overflowing with near trolls who speak in absolutes and stereo-types. I'll come back from time to time for neighborhood updates, but this too will be my last post.
    Last edited by dbigsbe17; March-27-13 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitrmc View Post
    I joined this site back in its humble beginings. Just the name "yes". Attracted me to it. I was new to the city and had started a business. It was great to here of other people trying to make a go of it in this city.

As time dragged on and times got tough I had to leave the site as it become a site for naysayers rather than do-ers.

I happened to hop on the site a couple days ago and clicked on the first thread that caught my attention a woman from Canada considering moving to Detroit. I was so distraught at the answers that were being thrown out there that I tried to login with my old name to respond but it was so long ago that I had to sign back up. The negativity just blew me away. Comments from people who obviously don't live here and get all their news from the tv and Fox News.

I just can't understand why some of the regular people who post here waste so much of their time talking trash about Detroit. Do they have nothing better to do. Are they confined to a bomb shelter waiting to for the en of the world like those crazy realty shows.

It's been fun visiting again. I've been a member for 3 days again but I'm going to say goodbye and find some other place that has constructive conversations, maybe if there is someone that agrees with me they can start a new website where people like
    Bham1982. Who lives in Ypsilanti. Detroit nerd - wont disclose where he's from [[my guess is not detroit). Rolfsy who lives in Ferndale [[wants to be a detroiter but can't quite make the commitment).
    Iheartted. You are from New York [[piss off)
    And wow. Shollin. Why are you on this site. I am betting you are an angry white overweight white male. Single. Get a life.

Jt1. Too funny.

It's been fun for a few days.

Detroit is a great place. Been here over 10 years and I love it. Over 100 employees and I know of nowhere else where one person can make such a difference. I am looking forward to seeing the continued revival of the great city.
    Trust me I feel your plight. Take it from someone who was born and raised in Detroit, still lives here and is doing everything in my power to help and keep a positive attitude and push on, that's what you get with Metro-Detroiters. No one hates Detroit more than those who live 5-50 miles away from here. People from other states just learn from them and jump on the bandwagon. The way I see it, eventually one day you won't have to care about the naysayers because the small amount of do-ers actions will pay off and Detroit will speak for itself. I just stick to sites like positive Detroit and model d media now after being on a couple forums and being tired of the naysayers who don't live in or ever come into the city. Just keep up with whats going and do my part that's it. Best of wishes to you and your business. And thank you from the Detroiters who care

Wow, I own, design and manage a number of web sites. I won't mention them here because they don't really pertain to anything or anyone on this site. Plus I think that's just bad etiquette.

But in doing that, I can't help but notice that people are coming to this site, and this thread in droves to promote their own sites or sites they like. You get that. I guess Johnny 5 was on a different thread promoting his site. I guess if you want attention, seek out the best, and suck off it. I see this on a daily basis in my own world and I don't have anything anywhere near as popular as DYes. I guess it's a dog eat dog world.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I am glad he made a final post. I too don't understand people who only want to rag on Detroit but spend time on DetroitYes. It's like those opposing fans who troll a particular team's website. Seems a little pathetic - why not post on SuburbsYes? But it doesn't bother me - that's on them but is annoying when you are trying to have a rational conversation. I damn near had to turn the Brush Park thread into a picture book to make an argument. Constructive criticism is valuable to conversation but trolling and uninformed ranting is not.

Like I said in another thread, Metro Detroiters as a whole have some intensely low regional esteem, which is how Detroit got here I guess [[although it is getting better!). You just see it on display in full force on this site. But aside from the resident trolls [[as all sites have), there is good discussion to be had. Stick around OP!
    Last edited by TexasT; March-28-13 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    So you're going to leave this site like the people leaving Detroit?
    He's going to "abandon" this site.

Not really an apt comparison. Detroit the city is obviously worth saving. This is just an online forum.

One more. I didn't mean for that to come across as all people on this site are patheitic. I read some very positive stuff from real detroiters and or people who care and want to see it succeed. It's a shame that some make it such a negative experience.
    C'mon, turn that frown upside down!

Make up your mind. Are we pathetic nor not? Don't come slithering in here calling people names then try to back down like a spineless worm. That's pathetic.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; March-28-13 at 07:03 AM.

I don't live in Detroit or even Michigan for that matter, should I leave too? Since I live in Chicago I guess I'm not right being here according to this guy here.

People are people – let it slide! The negative comments posed by DY members are tame compared to the idiots that post on the Detroit News and Freep.

The EM just started. I don't think "continued revival" is the right phrase here. Focusing on the problems of Detroit in this forum doesn't mean you can't support and promote the positive aspects of Detroit elsewhere in your life.

Posts like this on any forum are always amusing.

Typically when I don't particularly care for a forum's posters/the content/whatever, I just stop going to that forum.

There's a special few though that have to make a special post for themselves to grandly proclaim their intentions and what is right or wrong with the site.

And it's almost guaranteed that they'll be back anyway, maybe not under the same name, but they'll be back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast