Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Packard Plant style scrapping operation in N. Corktown

Those of you in the area will recognize this building at the intersection of Trumbull, Grand River, and MLK.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-03-27 at 5.11.01 PM.jpg
Views: 2249
Size:  24.7 KB

It looks nothing like the Google street view image any longer. The blocked-over windows are charred and wide open.

It has been vacant for a number of years. Last summer, it sustained a large fire. It was rumored that at least one scrapper who set the fire was killed in it.

Today, riding to the post office on Fort, I passed the back lot of the building on the Trumbull side. There were a handful of pickup trucks, a dump truck, and a bobcat.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-03-27 at 5.18.57 PM.jpg
Views: 1819
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-03-27 at 5.19.25 PM.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  29.1 KB

Gone is the steel truck dock shelter. Being loaded onto the bobcat appeared to be structural steel. I didn't get a photo when I passed the first time, but I-beams were being sliced up to apparently fit in the dump truck.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-03-27 at 5.19.12 PM.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  41.9 KB
    Last edited by Pcm; March-27-13 at 04:27 PM.

Damn. I was wondering WTF happened to that building. I pass it daily on my way to work. It looks straight out of post-WW2 Europe.

One way to determine a criminal operation from a legit one is the degree of OSHA compliance. I mean look at it, no hard hats no protection of the public from the demo site. No permits prominently displayed. No complaint number to call if you have a problem with what's going on and want work stopped. And all in broad daylight. Wonder how many cops drove past and turned a blind eye.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    One way to determine a criminal operation from a legit one is the degree of OSHA compliance. I mean look at it, no hard hats no protection of the public from the demo site. No permits prominently displayed. No complaint number to call if you have a problem with what's going on and want work stopped. And all in broad daylight. Wonder how many cops drove past and turned a blind eye.

Good observation. Yes, even with a long derelict site, it's hard to overlook the danger inherent to passersby or perpetrator.

Shame on me for not calling the police. I suppose part of me was hoping it's a cleanup for renovation...

I walked right past them at 7pm. Seemed strange they were still at it when I walked past them again at 9. I should have called on em, but that seal on the truck made them look legit from a distance.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; March-27-13 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    Shame on me for not calling the police. I suppose part of me was hoping it's a cleanup for renovation...
    Wolverine makes some good points. But even after working on some construction sites over the years, I have to admit that if I saw that, I might think it was a legit operation. It does seem like the police would or could have some insight to it though and probably didn't want to get involved. Those must be some pretty brazen scrappers taking it to the next level though.

Gannon and I drove by there yesterday and it seemed they were getting ready to renovate. Scrappers generally dont come in to a place like that with that much equipment. The windows had been opened up as well as if new ones were going to be put in. The I beams being cut up makes me wonder though, thats weird.

Nice looking building. Would make for a good storefront and/or lofts. Three main streets make a good location.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Gannon and I drove by there yesterday and it seemed they were getting ready to renovate. Scrappers generally dont come in to a place like that with that much equipment. The windows had been opened up as well as if new ones were going to be put in. The I beams being cut up makes me wonder though, thats weird.

Nice looking building. Would make for a good storefront and/or lofts. Three main streets make a good location.
    Maybe it's a City hired demo crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Maybe it's a City hired demo crew.
    I've seen several non-residential demos around this town, across from schools even, and not so much as caution tape. The worker-bees [[brick scrappers, aluminum) show up after the bigger crews pack up their equipment for the day.

Then consider the Eastown, half burned 3 years ago, still half standing, open for all to enter.

I have seen this guy before scrapping. He is not legit. But I too was amazed at the equipment...

I stopped there and talked to the guys working. They told me they are turning it into a Cheesecake Factory and a House of Blues.... Ilitch will run them.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Damn. I was wondering WTF happened to that building. I pass it daily on my way to work. It looks straight out of post-WW2 Europe.
    The building was built as the headquarters and factory of the Arctic Ice Cream Company.

The company's founder, Alfred Stephens, also build Coventry Crest, the house on the hill on Woodward in Bloomfield Hills that has long been part of the Roeper School.

Name:  arctic ice cream[[s).jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  64.5 KB
    [[picture of an old ad from DetroitFunk's site)

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I stopped there and talked to the guys working. They told me they are turning it into a Cheesecake Factory and a House of Blues.... Ilitch will run them.
    His wife will. There's a clause in the NHL contract strictly prohibiting both league and cheesecake outlet ownership.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-28-13 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    His wife will. There's a clause in the NHL contract strictly prohibititing both league and cheesecake outlet ownership.

Probbly has to do with pro hockey players penchant for cheesecake when traveling to other cities...

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Probbly has to do with pro hockey players penchant for cheesecake when traveling to other cities...
    Maybe it has something to do with not wanting hockey players to eat crappy, over-priced, 6,000 calorie meals?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with not wanting hockey players to eat crappy, over-priced, 6,000 calorie meals?
    My God, man, this is CHEESECAKE we're talking about!