Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Globe Building Renovation to Start

The long neglected dry dock facility is getting a makeover to become a DNR indoor-outdoor rec center that ties into Milliken State Park.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013303260019

I was wondering how the DetroitYes community felt about this project and if there is any hope of development between there and the Beaubien Place garage in place of the massive Ren Cen parking lot on the river.

I think that most are happy about it, but some are bummed that they're not preserving the whole building.

At least the brand new street grid with old-school style streetlamps running all over the industrial wasteland of the riverfront will finally have something to service.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    I think that most are happy about it, but some are bummed that they're not preserving the whole building.
    How much of the building is being preserved? I can't find any info on the project other than that article.

Detroit is coming together very nicely!

Here's some additional information on the development from my blog.....http://headsupdetroit.com/blog/?p=181 & http://headsupdetroit.com/blog/?p=243

Of all the buildings worth saving this one would be on the bottom aesthetically and structurally. The place looks like its ready to crumble! Not saying I don't want them to do it just surprised as its basically a shell. But I enjoy going to Milliken by boat and will look forward to the improvements!

A little bit more info, they are planning to tear down part of it

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/22...ter-in-detroit

A photo I took Tuesday evening.
    Name:  globe.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  41.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Of all the buildings worth saving this one would be on the bottom aesthetically and structurally. The place looks like its ready to crumble! Not saying I don't want them to do it just surprised as its basically a shell. But I enjoy going to Milliken by boat and will look forward to the improvements!
    I really agree with the aesthetics part. Its big and ugly, and while it would be cool to save it, its not a terrible loss. What they are replacing it with will definitely look better than a derelict structure than looks like a crumbling box.

The St. Ann’sTobacco Warehouse in Brooklyn Bridge Park in Dumbo New York is an iconic facade from 1860 that has been cleaned up and looks cool and is viewed by thousands of people everyday. Dumbo incorporated history into their park. By demolishing any part of the Globe Trading Building, you are throwing away a huge opportunity to have a historically relevant and visually appealing structure near the riverfront instead of a parking lot. Reference link for an example of creative thinking rather and ignorant demolition.
    A testament to the construction of the Globe and other buildings of its time, the walls of the Globe building are 100+ years old and are still up while the red brick wall along I-696 that blocks the neighborhoods of Royal Oak that is fairly new is slowly crumbling.
    http://www.brooklyneagle.com/article...3-04-20-100000
    Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I really agree with the aesthetics part. Its big and ugly, and while it would be cool to save it, its not a terrible loss. What they are replacing it with will definitely look better than a derelict structure than looks like a crumbling box.

It's been funny hearing people talking about "saving" the building. Only "part of it" will be demolished and "most of it" will be kept. Not true.

Okay, they are saving the East elevation of the building...which was technically the alley side and part of the front facing Atwater. They'll remove the top floor facing Atwater according to most recent documents. Basically the architectural facades of the buildings will be removed while maintaing the common sides of the building not fronting the streets. A modified two story piece of the facade will front Atwater.

I agree this is a lot better than a crumbling building, and the new structure will be nice regardless, and a better use. But I almost felt a bit fooled everytime I checked on a update of this place. First the whole building was to be salvaged, then piece by piece this was whittled down to one small chunk of the building remaining. Basically the back NE side will be intact from a core and shell perspective and fragments of a few other walls to the SE The rest will be replaced by glass and metal and the largest of the demolished sheds will be PARKING!!

I guess I was hoping this structure had a shot of being rehabbed. It's one of the few really old buildings remaining close to downtown Detroit and nearly everything close to downtown we demoed for the RenCen and Hart Plaza. I realize some people find it an unimpressive industrial building, but I thought it had some character. The new building will be great but it will be less adaptable if something goes wrong in the future. Keep in mind, my opinion is only from an architectural perspective. As far as usage, I think this will be a tremendous benefit to the city regardless of what it looks like.
    Last edited by wolverine; June-06-13 at 06:58 PM.

I think the Globe building is beautiful; wish they could rehab it substantially.

Ironic, the largest part of the building will be demolished for PARKING when the building exists in an area surrounded by empty land available for PARKING.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    It's been funny hearing people talking about "saving" the building. Only "part of it" will be demolished and "most of it" will be kept. Not true.

Okay, they are saving the East elevation of the building...which was technically the alley side and part of the front facing Atwater. They'll remove the top floor facing Atwater according to most recent documents. Basically the architectural facades of the buildings will be removed while maintaing the common sides of the building not fronting the streets. A modified two story piece of the facade will front Atwater.

I agree this is a lot better than a crumbling building, and the new structure will be nice regardless, and a better use. But I almost felt a bit fooled everytime I checked on a update of this place. First the whole building was to be salvaged, then piece by piece this was whittled down to one small chunk of the building remaining. Basically the back NE side will be intact from a core and shell perspective and fragments of a few other walls to the SE The rest will be replaced by glass and metal and the largest of the demolished sheds will be PARKING!!

I guess I was hoping this structure had a shot of being rehabbed. It's one of the few really old buildings remaining close to downtown Detroit and nearly everything close to downtown we demoed for the RenCen and Hart Plaza. I realize some people find it an unimpressive industrial building, but I thought it had some character. The new building will be great but it will be less adaptable if something goes wrong in the future. Keep in mind, my opinion is only from an architectural perspective. As far as usage, I think this will be a tremendous benefit to the city regardless of what it looks like.

The west side facade is gone as of this afternoon.