Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Detroit police car livery.

The New Detroit Police Cars Are Hurting My Eyes

So, it's come to this. Some big corporations, including Roger Penske and the Detroit Three, have donated $8 million to the city of Detroit to fund new police cars and ambulances because the city is just that broke.
    Because General Motors, Ford and Chrysler each made donations, new police cars -- 90% of them are old Crown Vics, there may be a few Impalas left over, and I might have seen a Magnum once -- will obviously have to be Caprices, Tauruses and Chargers, which might make Detroit the biggest city with the weirdest mix-up in its fleet.

From Jalopnik.

i'm not sure what to think about that design. On the one hand, it IS distinctive, on the other hand...well, it's just so busy

Wouldn't it be better with the Nike swoosh and pick up some ad money instead?

It doesn't look bad in pictures, but the trend seems to be towards designs that look OK on paper, but in reality are very difficult to read or identify. This might be one of those.

One of our local jurisdictions uses medium blue lettering on a dark blue car. Looked good in the design stage, but on the car, it's nearly unreadable.

Whats the number 911 for?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    i'm not sure what to think about that design. On the one hand, it IS distinctive, on the other hand...well, it's just so busy
    Probably won't age that gracefully, either.

I like the new design.

I prefer the old style with the shield on the side. Graphic wraps are too busy for passenger cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Whats the number 911 for?
    It's a Porsche.

Just cut the crap and show up when someone calls, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

They will soon, the new livery was meant for a new reality show. You know how reality can be stretched, dontcha?

Like the one about 911 by the way.

I'm sure some diecast car manufacturers will make some of the new scheme.

Looks like a NASCAR

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post

From Jalopnik.
    They are making it sound like the city is getting the left overs,it is not the case,its also a PR move,so Tauruses interceptors and other new models so other cities can see stuff in action and how it holds up under Detroit conditions.

[[The fine print in this whole $8 million deal [[about $1 million of which is going to paint jobs, I'm guessing) is that the city is leasing the vehicles instead of outright purchasing them. That gives me pause because the city couldn't even keep track of leasing its previous generation of cruisers; a TV station's investigation found that the city was paying $600 a month for a 2004 Dodge Intrepid, among other overpaid leases.)

Also incorrect ,the vehicles are being leased to a non profit then the non profit is loaning the cars to the city the whole object being because of the mess what good would it be to just hand over cars and no support system in place,how would the city even service them? They are broke remember cough cough.

No different then it would be to hand over a billion dollars to the city ,what is the first thing that pops into your head on that thought.

It is a visual impact,you want to see police cars on the street ,well you will notice them now,and a wrap is quicker and cheaper then painting.
    Last edited by Richard; March-26-13 at 07:21 PM.

It was amazing how fast SIX cars showed up at Kwame's Mommy's house when reporters showed up to ask questions after the verdict

Quote Originally Posted by honky tonk View Post
    just cut the crap and show up when someone calls, thank you.
    ^^^this^^^

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post

One of our local jurisdictions uses medium blue lettering on a dark blue car. Looked good in the design stage, but on the car, it's nearly unreadable.
    I think that's kinda the point...easier to catch people in the act, or catch them unawares.

These cars look freakin awesome. Now if only they would put the design on a fleet of Challengers... sigh. I guess beggars cant be choosers.

They should have rented out space on the doors for advertising like

"Joe's Bail Bonds, 313-234-5678"

or

"Eat at Schmidlaps"

Older was better. There was nothing wrong with these markings.

[[Hey, I'm old, what do I know?)

I think they should have neon smily faces on them that they could change with the push of a button like the icons on this forum when they arrive at the scene. Confused, sad, angry or smily if they showed up on time. I bet a cable network would pick up on that and buy them even more cars. Booster rockets would make great TV scenes and cut down on response times too.

They should put the number for Jimmy Johns on the cars instead. At least someone will show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Older was better. There was nothing wrong with these markings.

[[Hey, I'm old, what do I know?)
    I think they should bring back those old lights on top of the new cars too. That would get peoples attention. They always seemed more intimidating.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    [[The fine print in this whole $8 million deal [[about $1 million of which is going to paint jobs, I'm guessing) is that the city is leasing the vehicles instead of outright purchasing them. That gives me pause because the city couldn't even keep track of leasing its previous generation of cruisers; a TV station's investigation found that the city was paying $600 a month for a 2004 Dodge Intrepid, among other overpaid leases.)
    I heard this on WUOM radio today, and looking at the article on their website, it appears it originated with the AP.

The money will actually go Detroit’s Downtown Development Partnership, which will lease the vehicles for the city and pay for maintenance.
    I'm going to guess they mean the Downtown Detroit Partnership. Roger Penske is currently Vice Chair of the organization and with several of their member organizations being involved in the donation, I'm sure they will manage the money properly. Incidentally, this is also the organization that oversees the Clean Downtown operation, which has made a big difference in the downtown area. If I recall correctly, Clean Downtown was originally spearheaded by Penske.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    They will soon, the new livery was meant for a new reality show. You know how reality can be stretched, dontcha?

Like the one about 911 by the way.
    Ditto on the 911.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast