Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Bing announces unprecedented effort to improve safety in Detroit

I watched the news conference this morning. I didn't see nor did I hear any outbursts from Watson, Kenyatta or Jackson. What I did see was about 10 white business people from Detroit extending much needed help to purchase EMS rigs and Police cars. I would like to ask Watson, is this a racist move? Are these 10 business people trying to "steal" Detroit's jewels?

These people don't have to offer a damn thing to Detroit, yet, they are doing their best to help. Thanks to Ford, GM, and Chrysler for extending their help as well. I didn't see Honda or Toyota mentioned so I'm assuming that they are not in the picture. Remember that when you want to purchase your next car.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Is this where we come to continue to complain about Penske not walking the walk, since his business isn't in Detroit?

The clowncil has some members that enjoy the negative rather than the positive aspects of life. 2 billion could be dropped in the clowncils lap and they would still find fault.

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    Is this where we come to continue to complain about Penske not walking the walk, since his business isn't in Detroit?
    The logic goes something like: We need to end regionalism and divisiveness in the Detroit area, and Roger Penske is a traitor for not headquartering his company in the city of Detroit.

It's passive-aggressive politicking. We should all join together in peace and unity as one common people for the good of all mankind and do exactly as I say or you are scum.

So, let me get this straight: This very public act of philanthropy is an occasion to beat up on Detroit? I'm confused...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    So, let me get this straight: This very public act of philanthropy is an occasion to beat up on Detroit? I'm confused...
    The City Clowncil and Jesse are not Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    The City Clowncil and Jesse are not Detroit.
    I still don't understand. Why is this philanthropy an occasion to beat up on Detroit's council, Jesse Jackson or anybody? Seems like a pretty straightforward good news story.

This is good news for Detroit.
    I'm still waiting for Watson or Kenyatta or Jackson to open their mouths and spew venom about whitely and slavery and plantation...simply because the people who are helping are white....just like the governor when he wanted to help with Belle Isle but these idiots turned it into a racial issue.

This is of course a good thing for Detroit and Detroiters.

I do regret coming in with snark so early, but the last time Penske's name was brought up around here, the focus was on his company being HQ'd in the burbs and not on the millions he had spent on things like CleanDetroit.

As a person who travels a lot in this country and tries to change the discussion and ideas people have about Detroit wherever I go, it bugs me that I went that way so quick...

I see this with mixed feelings. It's good some help is being given for the most necessary of services. However, it never should've gotten to that point where donations needed to be made to provide this basic equipment. Hopefully, no one will make any moves to reject these gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    I LIKE you!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Yea, this is what I was trying to understand. The thing I hate most about humans, whether they be black, white, blue or purple, is they always -- and I mean ALWAYS -- find something to whine about in every last situation.

Of course, one person will always make their whining seem more relevant than the whining of anyone else.

This is very good news. Donating equipment is very charitable, and shows that these people care about safety in the city [[to some extent). I think any city would accept these, because they have no strings attached [[visible ones, at least).

It is wrong to equate this with other forms of so-called help offered. Taking over something is not helping...it's taking control. That's like telling a bad driver, "You can wait outside your car and let me get in your driver's seat. I'm going to help you drive your car." Nor is the state taking over Belle Isle and charging a fee necessarily "helping out." That was more of a proposal with mutual benefits [[how many new state park permits do you think the state would have sold had they taken over Belle Isle?). I was for the takeover Belle Isle because of the nature and recreational aspects, but I understood why people were against it. If the state really want to help Detroit parks, there's more than Belle Isle to covet. Why not take Rouge Park? It's bigger than Belle Isle. Why not offer to take Belle Isle and still fund repairs at smaller free parks? That deal was all about just wanting Belle Isle.

Don't get me wrong...I'm actually for the EFM and was for the state takeover of Belle Isle. However, I don't think either of them can be classified as "helping." These are examples of taking over and fixing things for the benefit of citizens [[or at least attempting to). Most people seem afraid to call these what they really are...maybe to make them feel better, or to be able to call Detroiters dumb for going against the "taker" stereotype and rejecting "genuine" and "selfless" help from non-Detroiters.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I see this with mixed feelings. It's good some help is being given for the most necessary of services. However, it never should've gotten to that point where donations needed to be made to provide this basic equipment. Hopefully, no one will make any moves to reject these gifts.
    My biggest fear is that actual dollars will be exchanged and someone will pocket most of it before it reaches its designated spot. Another fear is that vehicles will be purchased and the many inspectors, commissioners, chiefs, and appointees will feel they are entitled to those "newer" cars and leave the junks to the boots on the street. If these benefactors do this right, there will be oversight on every aspect of this wonderful gift.
    You are right, this never should have reached the point where Detroit needed donations to survive. Remember this at election time and do your homework on those who are running for office [[although this is not 100% either). Thug KK raped and pillaged Detroit like no other; and him, along with his friends and family profited immensely. The warrants and convictions are not over and hopefully Detroit will come out of this a better place to be after all is said and done. Watson, Kenyatta and a few select other inciters need to fade away into the woodwork and let Detroit grow instead of race baiting and trying to get people to burn the city down at every turn.

I'm very happy to see this equipment being donated, but what is really needed are more cops on the street. Is this donation going to enable that?

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I'm very happy to see this equipment being donated, but what is really needed are more cops on the street. Is this donation going to enable that?
    It's fine that they're "on the street", but they DO need to get to where they're going.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    My biggest fear is that actual dollars will be exchanged and someone will pocket most of it before it reaches its designated spot. Another fear is that vehicles will be purchased and the many inspectors, commissioners, chiefs, and appointees will feel they are entitled to those "newer" cars and leave the junks to the boots on the street. If these benefactors do this right, there will be oversight on every aspect of this wonderful gift.
    You are right, this never should have reached the point where Detroit needed donations to survive. Remember this at election time and do your homework on those who are running for office [[although this is not 100% either). Thug KK raped and pillaged Detroit like no other; and him, along with his friends and family profited immensely. The warrants and convictions are not over and hopefully Detroit will come out of this a better place to be after all is said and done. Watson, Kenyatta and a few select other inciters need to fade away into the woodwork and let Detroit grow instead of race baiting and trying to get people to burn the city down at every turn.
    I have the same fears. Some of the elected sense this is or could be their last stand, and might get while the getting's good. There should be some oversight. Make sure the money IS spent on equipment, make sure the equipment IS distibuted to the guys in the trenches.

I watched the news conference this morning. I didn't see nor did I hear any outbursts from Watson, Kenyatta or Jackson. What I did see was about 10 white business people from Detroit extending much needed help to purchase EMS rigs and Police cars. I would like to ask Watson, is this a racist move? Are these 10 business people trying to "steal" Detroit's jewels?
    Well, I guess Mitt Romney was right when he said corporations are [[white) people, too. No doubt, it was only the white people at Ford, GM, Chrysler, BCBSM, Quicken, etc. that made this happen.

According to the Freep:

Bing said the vehicles will not be city property. A nonprofit corporation will be formed to lease and maintain them, he said. The lease structure also helps avoid any obstacles as the emergency financial manager starts work today.
    So, it appears the donors also wanted a mechanism in place to make sure the dollars went where they are supposed to.

Has anybody else noticed the slick graphics on these vehicles? I think it looks nice and a lot better than the tired old stuff we've seen on police cars for years. However, I wonder if the police department plans to upgrade all their cars to these graphics in the interest of uniformity? Hope not! That could be an expensive proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Assuming that the dollars that would have been spent on new equipment can now go to paying cops, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Assuming that the dollars that would have been spent on new equipment can now go to paying cops, yes.

The thing I fear is that is not something we can assume.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Damn good point Jackie...the city has tax revenue but is unable to properly provide the basic city services with those limited resources. So here we have well intentioned businessmen doing for the city what they should have done for themselves.