Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Former BCBS Southfield HQ sold to Canadian company

I often drive by the former BCBS HQ on 11 Mile, and wondered what was going on with it - it seems a waste to let it sit unused.

After some Googling, I found this article from Crain's last Sept:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...metro-building

Anyone have any additional info? The story said the complex needs a lot of repairs - did BCBS neglect maintenance knowing it would move, sell, and right off the loss?

I worked at that location for 5 years, ending in 2010. The buildings are in need of general repairs [[parking lot needs resurfacing, Tower 100 needs a freight elevator, parking garages need some work). They completely rebuilt the cafeteria area in the central building [[Tower 200) in 2009.

That was never an HQ. It was a back office. Back in the 1980's I was working for the Census Bureau which had its Detroit office in that Development. I'd echo what UpTown said, the buildings were not that great to begin with and I would assume that there is considerable work needed to them by now.