Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

[QUOTE=Shollin;374738]
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Back in 1993 Harper Woods was a much different place. Fast forward to 2010 and all hell broke loose in Detroit surrounding Harper Woods and the crime shot up. It could've been worse. I had some bids out on some houses in Northeast Detroit that I didn't get.
    You mean the 2010 when crime was at the lowest point since 2004? Now if you want to discuss 2002-2003 sure but not 2010 [[at least if we are still using stats, not anecdotal evidence)

I live in Hamtramck, but there are not a lot of elegant houses here. I would check out the Woodbridge area just on the west edge of the Wayne Statue University Campus. A lot of students live in that area. I think it would be fun if you had a youthful attitude towards things.

Definately visit Detroit first and walk in some of the areas in which you are interested. Use your gut. Do you feel safe? Only move into an area where you want to get to know the neighbors. Those are my general rules for house hunting. To live in a "gated" community whether an apartment or whatever is cheating. :-)

And when you come to town, arrange for a couple people from this board pal around with you a bit and visit the areas. They can give you even more insight. There is no reason to go it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Even using 2011 [[which I moved in January 2011) Harper Woods crime index was 596 and Warren was 320. Almost double. Plus the zip code I live in in Warren is lower than the city as a whole. Because I live in Warren I can't talk about Detroit's crime? That's ridiculous.

BTW, I left Harper Woods and lived in Sterling Heights for awhile before settling in Warren. I'm sure you'll have a field day with that one.
    Why would I have a field day with someone moving to a city with double the crime rate of where they are moving from. Clearly, crime stats were not the only deciding factor for you. Imagine that.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I live in Hamtramck, but there are not a lot of elegant houses here. I would check out the Woodbridge area just on the west edge of the Wayne Statue University Campus. A lot of students live in that area. I think it would be fun if you had a youthful attitude towards things.

Definately visit Detroit first and walk in some of the areas in which you are interested. Use your gut. Do you feel safe? Only move into an area where you want to get to know the neighbors. Those are my general rules for house hunting. To live in a "gated" community whether an apartment or whatever is cheating. :-)

And when you come to town, arrange for a couple people from this board pal around with you a bit and visit the areas. They can give you even more insight. There is no reason to go it alone.
    Very good advice. I know a number of people that live in Woodbridge and they love the area. I really enjoy the area as well as it seems really tight knit and has people of all races, ages, socio-economics, etc

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

You mean the 2010 when crime was at the lowest point since 2004? Now if you want to discuss 2002-2003 sure but not 2010 [[at least if we are still using stats, not anecdotal evidence)
    By 2010 I had finally had enough after years of crime being 2-3 times the national rate. I was tired of having smashed windows on my cars. I was tired of hearing gunshots in my neighborhood. By 2010 I had enough equity in my home where I could sell it without going into a short sale. You know what, you win. Because I live in Warren that means Detroit doesn't have the highest violent crime in the nation.
    Last edited by Shollin; March-25-13 at 12:21 AM.

[QUOTE=Shollin;374746]
    You know what, you win. Because I live in Warren that means Detroit doesn't have the highest violent crime in the nation.
    Nowhere have I stated or even remotely implied that but run with it if you will. It's not a matter of winning. It's a matter of understanding when you are being hypocritical. I hold no ill will of someone living where they think it is best for them. I do however have issues with someone giving definitive advice to someone then ignoring it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by samsonov View Post
    My wife and I recently moved from Toronto. Hands down the best part about living in Detroit is if we ever get homesick [[which happens from time to time) Canada is literally a 5 minute drive away. I don't think you'd get that in Pittsburgh. We've had no trouble with crime in the neighbourhood we live in [[Brush Park). Do your research an I'm sure you'll find an area and home you like, we did! We can't say enough great things about the city!
    I have to second you. My wife and I live in woodbridge which we like but are purchasing in Brush Park in the next few months. I am from Detroit she is not, she loves as much as I do.

To Omni - I say pick Detroit. Not just because I live here, but because there is something about a place that never dies no matter what. Plus you can get a beautiful house within walking distance to everything for little to nothing compared to the rest of the country.

Shollin Guest

Nowhere have I stated or even remotely implied that but run with it if you will. It's not a matter of winning. It's a matter of understanding when you are being hypocritical. I hold no ill will of someone living where they think it is best for them. I do however have issues with someone giving definitive advice to someone then ignoring it themselves.
    This is what I don't understand. I don't live in Detroit. I live in a city much safer than Detroit. We aren't talking high crime, we are talking the highest in the United States. It doesn't get any worse. How am I being hypocritical when I live in a city safer than Detroit and Pittsburgh?

[QUOTE=Shollin;374738]

Back in 1993 Harper Woods was a much different place. Fast forward to 2010 and all hell broke loose in Detroit surrounding Harper Woods and the crime shot up. It could've been worse. I had some bids out on some houses in Northeast Detroit that I didn't get.
    I can understand that, my point is and if you read post #48 1 st time poster has something positive to say.

What I would take from that is there would be at least one other person that would have my back and visa versa and there are proably more close by also that could be a group looking out for each other that is what neighbors do to make a strong neighborhood . Others have also posted excellent suggestions and those would also be points of interest .

We need to be carefull when painting a broad stroke and condemning an entire city based on personal expirences.

This is what I don't understand. I don't live in Detroit. I live in a city much safer than Detroit. We aren't talking high crime, we are talking the highest in the United States. It doesn't get any worse. How am I being hypocritical when I live in a city safer than Detroit and Pittsburgh?
    Because, if crime is the top priority, then you should choose one of a number of other suburbs as opposed to Warren.

Side note: We are not talking highest in the US. We are talking highest in the US over a certain population. When US News used to report the highest it was for cities over 750K. St. Louis was higher than Detroit for a number of years but was not one of the 'biggest cities'. Someone so aware of crime stats should understand these things.

Side note to my side note: Nowhere am I implying that crime is not high in Detroit

Shollin Guest

I can understand that, my point is and if you read post #48 1 st time poster has something positive to say.

What I would take from that is there would be at least one other person that would have my back and visa versa and there are proably more close by also that could be a group looking out for each other that is what neighbors do to make a strong neighborhood . Others have also posted excellent suggestions and those would also be points of interest .

We need to be carefull when painting a broad stroke and condemning an entire city based on personal expirences.
    I did do what neighbors do. When I heard them breaking through the guy's door with a sledge hammer I called the police. Luckily this was Harper Woods and the police arrived before they killed the guy. He ended up living at a nursing home after that. They boarded up the door they sledged through. I decided to go to my local Home Depot and purchased an actual door and put it on the house so it looked better than plywood. We had a very active neighborhood watch and lots of town hall meetings. In the end when a stranger is standing in your backyard looking into your windows at night, that's it. These problems have stopped since leaving. Crime is a serious issue in Detroit. It is wide spread and people don't realize the scope of the crime. Apparently since I live in Warren I cannot comment on it though.

Shollin Guest

Because, if crime is the top priority, then you should choose one of a number of other suburbs as opposed to Warren.

Side note: We are not talking highest in the US. We are talking highest in the US over a certain population. When US News used to report the highest it was for cities over 750K. St. Louis was higher than Detroit for a number of years but was not one of the 'biggest cities'. Someone so aware of crime stats should understand these things.

Side note to my side note: Nowhere am I implying that crime is not high in Detroit
    Actually I mentioned it a couple times that Detroit had the highest violent crime rate of any city over 200,000 [[which would include St Louis). Someone so aware of my posts [[To take something I posted in another thread and use it here) would've known that. Crime is a top priority when you are talking about the violent major city in the US. Instead you chose to nitpick negligible differences in crime between suburbs. No matter what suburb I moved to, you would find one with lower crime and continue this ridiculous attack.

Based on FBI statistics
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfi...gerous-cities/
    Last edited by Shollin; March-25-13 at 12:45 AM.

Actually I mentioned it a couple times that Detroit had the highest violent crime rate of any city over 200,000 [[which would include St Louis). Someone so aware of my posts [[To take something I posted in another thread and use it here) would've known that. Crime is a top priority when you are talking about the violent major city in the US. Instead you chose to nitpick negligible differences in crime between suburbs. No matter what suburb I moved to, you would find one with lower crime and continue this ridiculous attack.

Based on FBI statistics
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfi...gerous-cities/
    Re-read post #83 in this thread, you stated, "we are talking the highest in the United States'. I didn't take anything from another thread. I took your post [[#83 in this thread) along with historical facts, not anything from a previous post of yours.

Shollin Guest

Re-read post #83 in this thread, you stated, "we are talking the highest in the United States'. I didn't take anything from another thread. I took your post [[#83 in this thread) along with historical facts, not anything from a previous post of yours.
    re-read post # 27. What I was talking about from another thread was me living in Warren which I did not mention till you brought it up.

re-read post # 27. What I was talking about from another thread was me living in Warren which I did not mention till you brought it up.
    So the fact that I brought up you live in Warren overshadows your erroneous statement about Detroit being the most dangerous [[Note to ensure there is no confusion: Detroit has ridiculously high crime).

Of course, you've often brought up how [[a) you live in Warren, so you must be better than most of us [[that last part was my own editorial statement) [[b) how nobody with any sense or money would live in Detroit and [[c) you are smarter or better than those of us that live in the city because we only play the victim/race card.

I did do what neighbors do. When I heard them breaking through the guy's door with a sledge hammer I called the police. Luckily this was Harper Woods and the police arrived before they killed the guy. He ended up living at a nursing home after that. They boarded up the door they sledged through. I decided to go to my local Home Depot and purchased an actual door and put it on the house so it looked better than plywood. We had a very active neighborhood watch and lots of town hall meetings. In the end when a stranger is standing in your backyard looking into your windows at night, that's it. These problems have stopped since leaving. Crime is a serious issue in Detroit. It is wide spread and people don't realize the scope of the crime. Apparently since I live in Warren I cannot comment on it though.
    Well for what it is worth last Thursday evening I shot a prowler trying to climb into my window after disabling the alarm,I do not live in Detroit and police here in force with in minutes ,but they cannot always be everywhere all of the time,I do not live in Detroit ,no matter where you are it is risky.

But this has been interesting conversation I hope someday you can find a little positive thing in the city that you can share ,worse case scenario it would be your part of helping the city become a better place in the future so others may not have to expirence what you did ,it that not the objective ?

Shollin Guest

Often? I only brought it up once in a thread that involved Warren. Now you are using hyperbole and putting words into my figurative mouth.

Well for what it is worth last Thursday evening I shot a prowler trying to climb into my window after disabling the alarm,I do not live in Detroit and police here in force with in minutes ,but they cannot always be everywhere all of the time,I do not live in Detroit ,no matter where you are it is risky.

But this has been interesting conversation I hope someday you can find a little positive thing in the city that you can share ,worse case scenario it would be your part of helping the city become a better place in the future so others may not have to expirence what you did ,it that not the objective ?
    Hope everything worked out well for you. Crazy situation.

Shollin Guest

Well jt has gone on some tangent because I live in Warren, but the point here is crime is a serious issue and major deterrent to living in Detroit. I've lived in Detroit or Harper Woods literally blocks from Detroit, for my entire life and seen the city change. The thing is, the op didn't just ask solely about Detroit. He is comparing Detroit and Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has so many advantages [[including crime) that I can't justify choosing Detroit over. It isn't about negativity. If this was Detroit or New Orleans, then I would say Detroit.

Hope everything worked out well for you. Crazy situation.
    Thank you for the concern , everything is okay , different rules here.

Well jt has gone on some tangent because I live in Warren, but the point here is crime is a serious issue and major deterrent to living in Detroit. I've lived in Detroit or Harper Woods literally blocks from Detroit, for my entire life and seen the city change. The thing is, the op didn't just ask solely about Detroit. He is comparing Detroit and Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has so many advantages [[including crime) that I can't justify choosing Detroit over. It isn't about negativity. If this was Detroit or New Orleans, then I would say Detroit.
    I agree about NOLA, but then it is like that in any city North Philly,Miami ,and even Mickey Mouse house in Orlando which has the highest gang ratio, but Detroit has its ills so let's work on those and try and think positive and find the positives to make it positive for everybody.

Hmmm, I hear that. Anyone can reach their own 'enough' point withstanding stats 'cause it really boils down to your personal safety within and around your own specific dwelling, on your street and area which may not yet be specifically noted on a chart. You 'know' when it's time to make a change! I would not relish that time as I want to stay, but if things were to make a severe dip in my area I would plan to leave. In some ways I have...

By 2010 I had finally had enough after years of crime being 2-3 times the national rate. I was tired of having smashed windows on my cars. I was tired of hearing gunshots in my neighborhood. By 2010 I had enough equity in my home where I could sell it without going into a short sale. You know what, you win. Because I live in Warren that means Detroit doesn't have the highest violent crime in the nation.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-25-13 at 09:39 AM.

Wow, people have really crapped on this woman's attempt to have a conversation about moving to Detroit...

Quote Originally Posted by jaytheory View Post
    I have to second you. My wife and I live in woodbridge which we like but are purchasing in Brush Park in the next few months. I am from Detroit she is not, she loves as much as I do.

To Omni - I say pick Detroit. Not just because I live here, but because there is something about a place that never dies no matter what. Plus you can get a beautiful house within walking distance to everything for little to nothing compared to the rest of the country.

Hi neighbor! To second [[or third) this idea, my husband and I also moved to Woodbridge from Chicago last summer [[both 30, no kids, active social life). We love it! No regrets.

It's a tight-knit, beautiful neighborhood with old brick and Victorian homes. Lots of students rents in the area closer to Wayne State but my side of the area is mostly homeowners of a great variety. Because we are so close to Wayne State, campus police patrol our neighborhood, which helps a lot with crime. Very fast response time - they'll show up in just a couple of minutes if you need to call them.

What brought us to Detroit was that, in leaving Chicago, we still wanted to enjoy urban life [[cultural events, museums, pro sports, diversity, restaurants/bars, etc), just way cheaper. We wanted to buy a home. Detroit is a good place for that. It's an odd and unique place, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I've found it really easy to meet people and have made good friends very quickly - there's a bit of a "we're all in this together" mentality I've noticed from those who choose to live here.

^^^ I hear you. I lived in Woodbridge on Commonwealth, it can be really nice and WSU, and their police department adds greatly to the quality of life management of crime along with the proximity of the cultural center, Midtown, etc.

My main comment of caution - early on response - was based off the fact that the OP said she was a SINGLE woman, coming from another city/ locale. That factor IMO makes the decision on where to move in Detroit, single home or an apartment more crucial, especially with crime overall as high as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ I hear you. I lived in Woodbridge on Commonwealth, it can be really nice and WSU, and their police department adds greatly to the quality of life management of crime along with the proximity of the cultural center, Midtown, etc.

My main comment of caution - early on response - was based off the fact that the OP said she was a SINGLE woman, coming from another city/ locale. That factor IMO makes the decision on where to move in Detroit, single home or an apartment more crucial, especially with crime overall as high as it is.
    Good point. Friends that live in high-rise places like the Broderick or Park Shelton don't have to deal with a lot of the same crime issues just by the nature of their residence.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast