Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Possible move to Detroit, please help/berate me.

I am thinking of moving to Detroit. I'm female, single, early 30's, overeducated, completely mobile [[could live/work anywhere with an internet connection), have $60,000 in savings and make $50-80k/year [[depending on how much work I take on).

Main reasons for considering a move to Detroit [[also considering Pittsburgh) are based mostly on what I want and not on any wish to 'save' anyone or anything. Nothing against that, just trying to avoid what seems to be a somewhat common - and possibly deserved - opinion of newcomers riding into town on their white horses.

What I want is: a beautiful home - by 'beautiful' I mostly mean old, spacious rooms, hopefully a yard [[overall square footage not a huge concern - 1000sf of high ceilinged beauty is better for me than 3500sf of pokey rooms and bad light), a tightknit community, good friends, to settle down and make a home/life somewhere, a certain level of activity/action. I could live on the east coast of Canada for slightly higher COL but the countryside isn't for me [[I grew up in the middle of nowhere and have no wish to return). Home ownership is very important to me, but I am not willing to spend 20 years paying off a home I don't even like very much, which is what the case will be if I buy here [[Montreal) or British Columbia. If I'm going to be the bank's bitch, it has to be for something worthwhile, ya know? Scruffyness doesn't bother me - in people or neighbourhoods, but I would not choose to move somewhere crime ridden. It seems Detroit has all kinds of nabes. The usual suspects [[midtown, corktown etc.) would work, as would up-and-coming. I also like what I've read and seen of Hamtramck so far.

Just looking for thoughts, advice, opinions. If you're going to tell me I'm insane please outline the reason[[s) why.

Yes, I plan to visit before buying [[possibly rent for a couple of months) and yes I understand to do due diligence on real estate.

[[anyone else find this site impossible in Firefox? I'm having to use IE to post this)

You need to visit, and for an extended period. It may be a good move, but I'm still not getting why Detroit, as opposed to, say Tulsa, or Tacoma.

You want at least 1000 ft. and a yard. That describes maybe 90% of the homes in the region, so your options will be completely open.

Nothing in Detroit/Hamtramck will be low crime, or even moderate crime, but there's still very high variability, and, yes, Midtown and Corktown are far safer and more stable than most areas. Hamtramck, to me, doesn't sound like an obvious choice for a self described overeducated professional.

You sound really nice and together. A person that any city would be proud to call resident.

I would say go to Pittsburgh. Metro Detroit is too full of angry, vindictive know-it-alls in the suburbs who are living the mythological lives of the past. Fearful of change, cities, transit, taxes and black people, they have left this region stuck so far in the past that it is really just about doomed as a real city goes.

At least Pittsburgh has skeletal mass transit, a good mix of people, and very little racist baggage compared to Detroit. And, what's more, the bluffs and rivers and valleys are quite beautiful. If I didn't love my ridiculous little city so much, I'd probably want to join you.

Greetings and welcome to DYes! For certain there are many variables and things to consider in the decision to move into Detroit. There are areas that are promising in many ways, but for the sake of personal safety, being a 'single' woman I would say NO to living alone in in a single dwelling house at this time.

Adaptability to 'scruffiness' as you mentioned is one thing, but living/ residing isolated and alone in Detroit is potentially a SERIOUS problem. Until things turn around re. the high crime and breakins, I can only recommend living in a shared dwelling setting [[duplex for the feel of a home) where there are people that you know and trust, coming and going.

Or one of the better downtown apartments that has parking and good security or one of the Lafayette condos, perhaps. But not in a home alone in the neighborhoods.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-24-13 at 04:36 PM.

Greetings and welcome to DYes! For certain there are many variables and things to consider in the decision to move into Detroit. There are areas that are promising in many ways, but for the sake of personal safety, being a 'single' woman I would say NO to living alone in in a single dwelling house at this time.

Adaptability to 'scruffiness' as you mentioned is one thing, but living/ residing isolated and alone in Detroit is potentially a SERIOUS problem. Until things turn around re. the high crime and breakins, I can only recommend living in a shared dwelling setting [[duplex for the feel of a home) where there are people that you know and trust, coming and going.

Or one of the downtown apartments that has parking and good security or one of the Lafayette condos, perhaps. But not in a home alone in the neighborhoods.

Duplicate post? I wrote mine first ----!

I think the key question here is what you regard as "crime-ridden". There are plenty of the sorts of houses you want. The question is which of them is in an area you would feel comfortable in. Depending on what sort of level of density you are interested in, you might check out the University District or Green Acres, which are, at least in my opinion, among the safer neighborhoods in the city. As a single newcomer, you might also focus on areas with strong neighborhood associations. The sketchier the area, the more important a support system is.

Also, you don't necessarily need to confine yourself to Detroit proper--you can find nice houses at a pretty reasonable price in various of the closer-in suburbs.

The advice of coming and hanging out for a while to get a feel for the areas before moving is, of course, sound. Depending upon your personality, you might also try out a shared house for awhile to make friends and get used to the area that way.
    Last edited by mwilbert; March-24-13 at 04:44 PM.

Having grown up in Pittsburgh and spent my adult life in the Detroit region: Pittsburgh, hands down. Its like someone stepped in detroit and scraped it off on san francisco. So you get postindustrial grit, but most of the old buildings still exist and the topography is amazing. the region hasnt spent the last half century trying to nuke its core city, and it really shows. Population is almost canadian in character - very little of the dog eat dog vibe of se michigan.
    Last edited by Rolfsy; March-24-13 at 05:04 PM.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    You sound really nice and together. A person that any city would be proud to call resident.

I would say go to Pittsburgh. Metro Detroit is too full of angry, vindictive know-it-alls in the suburbs who are living the mythological lives of the past. Fearful of change, cities, transit, taxes and black people, they have left this region stuck so far in the past that it is really just about doomed as a real city goes.

At least Pittsburgh has skeletal mass transit, a good mix of people, and very little racist baggage compared to Detroit. And, what's more, the bluffs and rivers and valleys are quite beautiful. If I didn't love my ridiculous little city so much, I'd probably want to join you.
    Seriously give it up. Your whining and blaming everyone else for Detroit's problems is getting nowhere. This is the big reason anyone in the suburbs would resent Detroit is people like you that whine and cry and play the victim and paint a group of nearly 4 million people with a broad brush. Guess what, you're just as racist as the people you claim are racist. Detroit only has itself to blame.

Hmm, what's the story of the thousands of black people who have left Detroit and in some cases left Michigan?

....Fearful of change, cities, transit, taxes and black people, they have left this region stuck so far in the past that it is really just about doomed as a real city goes.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hmm, what's the story of the thousands of black people who have left Detroit and in some cases left Michigan?
    Lets not forget the survey taken recently that said something 50% of Detroiters would leave if they could afford to.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Seriously give it up. Your whining and blaming everyone else for Detroit's problems is getting nowhere. This is the big reason anyone in the suburbs would resent Detroit is people like you that whine and cry and play the victim and paint a group of nearly 4 million people with a broad brush. Guess what, you're just as racist as the people you claim are racist. Detroit only has itself to blame.
    Omnishambles, please see above. Unless you're prepared to deal with people who hold lifelong grudges against the city and refuse to take urban problems seriously, stay far, far away from Detroit. In the Pittsburgh area, I generally got the feeling that the whole region really wanted Pittsburgh to succeed, not to fail so they could gloat and paint its defenders as "whiners."

I knew one person who got a pretty good deal on a modest house just north and east of the Strip District in Pittsburgh, and it had a Detroit vibe, with abandoned factories on the waterfront, but plenty of nice old-timers still living around there.

Shollin Guest

Omnishambles, please see above. Unless you're prepared to deal with people who hold lifelong grudges against the city and refuse to take urban problems seriously, stay far, far away from Detroit. In the Pittsburgh area, I generally got the feeling that the whole region really wanted Pittsburgh to succeed, not to fail so they could gloat and paint its defenders as "whiners."

I knew one person who got a pretty good deal on a modest house just north and east of the Strip District in Pittsburgh, and it had a Detroit vibe, with abandoned factories on the waterfront, but plenty of nice old-timers still living around there.
    It's hard to tell when all you do is whine on this forum and blame the suburbs constantly for Detroit's decline. You're such a hypocrite. When someone tries to tell you the real reason people don't move to Detroit, you turn it around and make the criminals into victims and call everybody who doesn't live within Detroit's borders racist. Why the hell should the suburbs help you when you continually call them racist and blame them for your problems? Your attitude towards the suburbs shows you are unwilling to work with the suburbs. Talk about grudges you are still complaining 60 years later about people moving to the suburbs.

It's hard to tell when all you do is whine on this forum and blame the suburbs constantly for Detroit's decline. You're such a hypocrite. When someone tries to tell you the real reason people don't move to Detroit, you turn it around and make the criminals into victims and call everybody who doesn't live within Detroit's borders racist. Why the hell should the suburbs help you when you continually call them racist and blame them for your problems? Your attitude towards the suburbs shows you are unwilling to work with the suburbs. Talk about grudges you are still complaining 60 years later about people moving to the suburbs.
    A lot of players were involved in the decline of Detroit, and I've listed them here many times with almost academic dispassion. I'm from the suburbs, Shollin. I grew up in the suburbs and wouldn't begrudge anybody the amenities of the suburbs and have said so. All I've done is point out that there's quite a lot of white-on-black racism in metro Detroit, a lot of smug, anti-city, anti-black Frank Rizzos who gloat at the city's decline and wouldn't lift a finger to help it. Any reasonable and discriminating reader knows that this doesn't mean "demonizing the suburbs."

But if I were a suburbanite whose favorite pastime was gloating about the city's decline, I guess I'd get really upset about somebody harshing on my fun and reduce the argument to a straw man, as you generally do.

I must have really ruined your fun, Shollin, judging by the way you've been following me around on this forum like a little yapping dog.

Detroit is listed as having more single females then males ,where do they all live?

I guess it would not matter where a single female lives there are enough wackos across the country to not be diligent .

If you're Canadian I suggest moving to South Detroit aka Windsor. It's not the most cosmopolitan city but real estate is cheap compared to most of Canada, you keep your healthcare, which is a huge deal, and you have Detroit at your doorstep.

With your financial position, you could get a real nice older Victorian home in Marine City with a view of the St Clair River, a walkable [[if small) downtown, low crime, easy access to shopping [[Hall Road) and be just a hop-skip-jump from Detroit if you are feeling like some urban excitement.

If I was to move back to SE Michigan, I think I would like Marine City.

Man, I just realized Pittsburgh is like Detroit's new 286Mile road.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    With your financial position, you could get a real nice older Victorian home in Marine City with a view of the St Clair River, a walkable [[if small) downtown, low crime, easy access to shopping [[Hall Road) and be just a hop-skip-jump from Detroit if you are feeling like some urban excitement.
    Is one hour on the freeway a "hop-skip-jump" for you? That's weird.

I think it's funny that you've sorta-kinda glossed over what omnishambles wants and imposed a lot of what you would like upon this search.

Then again, I suppose I should be used to that. So many people around here do that. When you say "a certain level of activity/action" they think maybe bake sales and drinks at Applebee's. When you say "not the middle of nowhere" they think "a town of 4,200 at 26 Mile Road."

I give up. People under 40 don't want city life. They want split-level pads with three-car garages. The year is always 1961 in metro Detroit ...

Shollin Guest

Is one hour on the freeway a "hop-skip-jump" for you? That's weird.

I think it's funny that you've sorta-kinda glossed over what omnishambles wants and imposed a lot of what you would like upon this search.

Then again, I suppose I should be used to that. So many people around here do that. When you say "a certain level of activity/action" they think maybe bake sales and drinks at Applebee's. When you say "not the middle of nowhere" they think "a town of 4,200 at 26 Mile Road."

I give up. People under 40 don't want city life. They want split-level pads with three-car garages. The year is always 1961 in metro Detroit ...
    People don't want to be a victim of a homicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Duplicate post? I wrote mine first ----!
    You actually had your post twice, 1 minute apart, so I thought I'd post it a 3rd time to make sure you got your point across. Someone must have deleted your duplicate post, so now I look like a fool, [[fool-ER).
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-24-13 at 06:27 PM.

So can one move from CDA to Detroit without going through the immigration aspect?

People don't want to be a victim of a homicide.
    Neither do they want to die of boredom, Shollin.

Living in a big city carries big city risks. You have to be street smart. You can't just walk through the city, wide-eyed and arms swinging like some rube who just fell off the apple cart from Marine City. But you keep your eyes open and there is a lot to see in the city. That's why young people are flocking to big cities all across America.

The good news about crime, anyway, is that crime is on the way down. In fact, crime has been consistently falling since the 1970s. With numbers like that, it only promises to get lower in the future.

But maybe there's something in your post after all. If we do what we can as a region to keep crime high in Detroit, then it will be like 1961. And then people will want to live in the suburbs because we've made our city such a hellhole. So the suburbs can just keep offering the same old thing that nobody wants anymore and people will have to take it. Because their only other alternative will be the big, bad, black city with all the crime.

Oh, wait, there is the possibility that they could just leave entirely...

http://www.freep.com/article/2010111...r-many-reasons

Shollin Guest

There you go again blaming the suburbs for the crime in Detroit and you have the nerve to say the suburbs hold a grudge against Detroit. Crime isn't going down. Detroit posted its highest murder rate in over 25 years. Detroit had the highest violent crime rate of any major city in the US. It's the most dangerous city in the US. All you do is play the victim and find anyone else to blame.

The good news about crime, anyway, is that crime is on the way down. In fact, crime has been consistently falling since the 1970s. With numbers like that, it only promises to get lower in the future.
    I would be very surprised if this were true.

Detroit has lost at least 50% of its population since the 70's, so crime would have to have dropped by massive amounts to have a drop in per capita crime.

And that's assuming that the same proportion of crimes is reported as back 40 years ago [[which sounds absurd, given that reporting is now useless for 90% of crimes).

I'm guessing crime is way up since the 70's, and getting progressively worse. It's probably never been worse than right now. But now, no one reports the small stuff [[and yet crime is still highest in the country).

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast