Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Actress coming home to retire

Elaine Stritch is an accomplished Broadway actress who also played Colleen Donaghy, Jack Donaghy's [[Alec Baldwin), mother on the NBC show, 30 Rock. It's nice to see such an accomplished person return to her roots.

http://theater.nytimes.com/2013/03/2...lyle.html?_r=0

Wow!! Birmingham's lucky to have her. Fantastic news!

Default She's 88 years old

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    Wow!! Birmingham's lucky to have her. Fantastic news!
    Still, in fragile shape after two recent falls and a hip replacement, she said she knew it was the end of an era.
    ^^ She's 88 years old, She probably doesn't work as much as she did before, and NYC is an awfully expensive place to live. Did you read that she was living in a HOTEL? So she's not rich and Detroit is much cheaper to live. Plus at her age, what family she has, she wants to spend her time with them.

Well, the money could be gone., but she was married to an owner of Bay's English Muffins. She's known to still give muffins for gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    Did you read that she was living in a HOTEL? So she's not rich and Detroit is much cheaper to live.
    Lots of New Yorkers live in residential hotels, and most of these places are for the rich.

The Carlyle, Sherry Netherland, Lombardy and Pierre are some of the more famous. Monthly fees at the Carlyle [[just the maintenance fees, not the actual room rates, which are even higher) can run $40,000/month.

Still, in fragile shape after two recent falls and a hip replacement, she said she knew it was the end of an era.
    ^^ She's 88 years old, She probably doesn't work as much as she did before, and NYC is an awfully expensive place to live. Did you read that she was living in a HOTEL? So she's not rich and Detroit is much cheaper to live. Plus at her age, what family she has, she wants to spend her time with them.

Yes I did read she was living in the hotel. In fact I READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE! !What difference do you think it makes to me whether Ms.Stritch is rich or not??What's the point of your quoting my original post?? No offense to you but I didn't need you to interpret that article for me. I understood what I read quite nicely.
    At the risk of repeating I say again, Birmingham's lucky to have a wonderful person like Elaine Stritch settling in their midst!

That depends on which hotel. My great aunt lived her entire adult life in a hotel - the Palmer House. Ms Stritch was living in the Carlyle not exactly a flophouse: http://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/car...FYxaMgodEToAbg
    Last edited by rb336; March-25-13 at 09:32 AM.

Ha! Assumed poor because she lives in a hotel. I would love to live 1 block from Central Park I the Carlyle.
    Look up the room rate per night at the Carlyle or inquire about living there and you may change your assumption.

Yeah, it would be real hard to put up with living in a hotel with these amenities:
    • Twice-Daily housekeeping service
    • Kitchen linens
    • All utilities included, excluding telephone
    • Package room services
    • Concierge
    • Doormen and Bellmen
    • Valet department offering laundry, dry cleaning, one-hour pressing service, and shoe shine
    • Adjoining parking garage with valet parking
    • Flat screen television[[s) with Time Warner® Digital High-Definition Cable, offering 200 channels with HBO & Video-on-Demand
    • DVD Player
    • iPod® Docking Station

To explore opportunities for long-term stays, receive a full list of amenities or for more information on residences at The Carlyle....

Plus Ms. Stritch could play the club downstairs - one of the top cabarets in NYC - pretty much whenever she liked. She lived in the same neighborhood as my father as a teenager and dated one of my dad's best friends. We visited with her a couple of times at the restaurant and bar in the Carlyle, and once at the Beverly Hills Hotel out west. She was one of the biggest stage stars in the U.S., played supper clubs and cabarets throughout the world, and was married to a wealthy man, and lived in the top residential hotel in NYC. Trust me, she is not poor.

She always kept in touch with a number of old friends here, remained interested in goings on in the Detroit area, and was nostalgic for her life here. With all of his old, old friends dying off, my father will be happy to have someone from the old days back here in the area, even if she is way out in B'ham and he rarely gets to see her.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; March-25-13 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Plus Ms. Stritch could play the club downstairs - one of the top cabarets in NYC - pretty much whenever she liked. She lived in the same neighborhood as my father as a teenager and dated one of my dad's best friends. We visited with her a couple of times at the restaurant and bar in the Carlyle, and once at the Beverly Hills Hotel out west. She was one of the biggest stage stars in the U.S., played supper clubs and cabarets throughout the world, and was married to a wealthy man, and lived in the top residential hotel in NYC. Trust me, she is not poor.

She always kept in touch with a number of old friends here, remained interested in goings on in the Detroit area, and was nostalgic for her life here. With all of his old, old friends dying off, my father will be happy to have someone from the old days back here in the area, even if she is way out in B'ham and he rarely gets to see her.
    I think people are confusing the term "Hotel" with flop-house.

Quote Originally Posted by ThosWolfe View Post
    She's known to still give muffins for gifts.
    She may be a wonderful lady, but I am not interested in her muffin.

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    She may be a wonderful lady, but I am not interested in her muffin.

thank you
    Tip your waiter