Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Fox Sports Detroit fires Larry Murphy

I don't know why these idiots fired Murph especially when his contract was up at the end of this season , blaming the firing on low ratings . They keep guys like MickeyYork and former Detroit Vipers goalie Darren Eliot [[ who's stiffer than a corspe) and let a knowedgeable guy like Murphy go . Low ratings because many fans are still pissed about yet another lockout ?
    story here
    petition here
    I don't put much into online petitions , but I do this one because Murphy does commentary for the NHL Network and FSD says the low ratings are his fault ? lol
    I started a thread this early a.m. at FSD Facebook , and the comments are now in the hundreds .

Fox Sports Detroit released the following statement today regarding the decision to terminate Larry Murphy from its Detroit Red Wings broadcast team:
    “We wanted our primary team of Mickey Redmond and Ken Daniels to call the remaining games as the Red Wings make a push for the playoffs. We thought it was only fair to let Larry know as soon as possible that he would not be scheduled for any more assignments. We thank Larry for his contributions to our telecasts over the years and we wish him well.”
    Of course, this does not explain why Murphy wasn't retained to work between the benches at home games or in the studio.

FSD said this is the only statement it will make on the matter.

Nice try FSD the reason Mickey stopped doing the long distance road trips is because of his celiac disease and needs gluten free food which is in limited supply and hard to prepare from a hotel room

I doubt its because of ratings and the fact it happened during the season when they could have waited till his contract was up at the end of the season leads me to believe there is more to this. I'll wait till the rest of the story comes out. I am bummed though cause I like Murph and he adds a lot to the broadcast. He is the only one that made watching between periods worthwhile. I won't watch the intermission now, just be channel surfing till the game starts.

Murphy said he was “hurt” and “disappointed” at first but kept busy over the weekend, checking out comments online, calls for a petition to bring him back to the network and “recording the Malaysian Grand Prix and St. Petersburg IndyCar race” off TV.
    “You second-guess yourself at first -- wonder what kind of job you are doing,” said Murphy of his initial reaction to his firing. “But it was very humbling to read some of the online comments about how some people thought I did a good job.”
    http://www.freep.com/article/2013032...-red-wings-fsd

my youngest son started the petition and I got the ball rolling at Facebook FSD with the initial post about his firing [[people are still yapping about it lol) Well at least if he doesn't get hired back my son and myself accomplished one goal of letting Murph know that fans appreciated him and are outraged by this