Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tacky Lights on Jazz Liquor store on woodward

What's up with the tacky ass lights on that tacky liquor store on Woodward ?
    Who allowed them to put those horrible lights in the window on the Main Street of downtown ? This looks so horrible !!!!
    Please some make them take down those lights ! What next stripper joints on Woodward ?
    This send a terrible message to people visiting downtown .
    I know it's a free country, but I thought they had standards on Woodward , hence no electric billboards on Woodward.
    When I drove by that today I thought"WTF" ?
    I couldn't believe the city allows this on Woodward downtown?
    Everyone already knows that awful place is there, we don't need a tacky string if flashing lights to remind us and advertise and draw unwanted attention there, you can draw your own conclusion , but it doesn't take genius to figure out where this can lead, please take down those lights !
    Do we really want people hanging out asking for change so they can score a forty right on woodward ? it's bad enough it's right in front of the bus stops, can't this city do anything right ?
    Gezz Detroit get some standards
    Last edited by Detroitdave; March-22-13 at 08:06 PM.

What? There's a liquor sto' downtown?

I like them. I think they look cheery and bright. They add life to an otherwise dull area. I hear they're putting up one of those LED palm trees next. THOSE look cool. Can't wait.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-22-13 at 08:34 PM.

@ honky tonk sarcasm at it's best I hope ? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    @ honky tonk sarcasm at it's best I hope ? ;-)
    You're no fun.....

I havent been downtown for a minute, is this new? Now I have to go ride down there to see it unless someone can post a pic. I like gaudy flasy neon, Im w Honky. I remember the big BURLESK sign on Woodward just North of the Fox. Always wish I had photographed that.

But I cant really say until Ive seen this display downtown. Can it really be that bad or is there just a hair in your bisquit today?

@ Honky I am fun ! :-) see LOL @ Django and Honky you have to go see it for yourself .
    Let me know , ... maybe it's just me ?????, but what upscale store is going to want to be near that mess ?
    Is this really what the city is going for on lower Woodward ? if so I'll pass
    Come on ! we can do SOOO much better than this... can't we ???
    I'll let everyone else go check it out and let me know , maybe it's just me ??

where is this store located?

The party store/gas station/cell phone store crowd love the GAUDY LED lights. The tackier the better I think. I too thought the same thing when I seen it. That image doesn't fit with the envisioned lower Woodward shopping district. There's a party store by me in the burbs that has one of the LED video screens and the damn thing nearly blinds you coming down the main road. They have auto dimmers on those things for at night but again...the gaudier the better!

OK, I give up...where is said store located?

Come on, let's see a photo..... anybody drive by.

Most the signage/frontage of stores in the city [[liquor or otherwise) is gaudy/tacky. It will take some kind of aesthetic authority [[I made that up) to develop a cohesive, quieter look for the different blocks coming from Downtown; at this point, that obviously doesn't exist.

This must be a new sign - at the liquor store on the East side of Woodward, a block south of the old Hudson's space? I haven't passed there at night this week, maybe I'll see it this weekend.

I always think about what could be changed to untackify storefronts when I go by. The lights, the loud colors, the signage? Usually all of the above. On the other hand, the outside is a reflection of the inside, and the owners.

Look at all businesses on Cass and Willis; none of them have the day-glo lights and paints; all of them have subtle, inviting storefronts.

I daresay, as well, that folks will still buy liquor, even without a loud sign.

Are we talking about Jazz? Yeah, it really looks like crap compared to the 5 abandoned store-fronts on either side of it.

So the fact that the majority of Woodward retail is abandoned/vacant isn't a problem, but tacky lights on an existing business is a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I havent been downtown for a minute, is this new? Now I have to go ride down there to see it unless someone can post a pic. I like gaudy flasy neon, Im w Honky. I remember the big BURLESK sign on Woodward just North of the Fox. Always wish I had photographed that.
    I remember that sign. And this one, too:
    http://detroit.blogs.time.com/2010/0...ime/sassy-cat/

Untackify, I like that. My new word of the day.

Ill have to go ride down there and see it for myself Detroitdave. I have an unusual love of old signs with lights and neon so Im a bit biased.

Well, the block south of the Hudson block on the east side of Woodward would be the Compuware Building so would it be the block north?

Don't b hatin! Don't loft livers need to get their drink on too?

Besides if I was a Quicken employee, I would have to drink myself silly before working at Pee Wee's Playhouse or else I'd shoot myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferL View Post
    I remember that sign. And this one, too:
    http://detroit.blogs.time.com/2010/0...ime/sassy-cat/
    Are you a dancer?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Don't b hatin! Don't loft livers need to get their drink on too?

Besides if I was a Quicken employee, I would have to drink myself silly before working at Pee Wee's Playhouse or else I'd shoot myself.
    It was very silly to allow a liquor store to open on Merchant's Row. Someone who is on the zoning commission or on council were probably paid under the table to allow that business/retail deflector to open in that spot. I would rather have PeeWees playhouse on that strip than Poo's and Ray Ray's hang out den. Too bad that Bing did not have the guts or know how to determine what should be on the block. City planners should not include crime attracting businesses on the city's upcoming retail/ business district. Sassy Kat was a sign of the city's demise in the 60's through the 80s. There need to be a new way of thinking in Detroit. The thinking does not have to come from those who have credentials such as a Master Degrees. Those idiots run the city now. It would have to come from those with innovative thinking. Degrees or no Degrees. A thinking that would allow more Pee Wee's playhouse and other business, family oriented ideas to mold downtown and the rest of the city. Leave the liquor stores, boob shops, and other crap to the deserted areas of the city. That could be the red light district. A new way of thinking would have more grocery stores whether mom and pop or chain and less gas station/convenience stores.

Yes it is Jazz one block north of the old Hudson building same side of the street @ Bham yes I would rather see empty clean [[ Gilbert) rebuilt store fronts than that . At least that sends a positive signal , a clean blank slate that Gilbert is prepping for something better for the lower Woodward community than they typical liquor store you can find on any corner in the city.
    I would have taken a picture but this site has issuers with iPhones posting p

Pictures , for some reason I couldn't finish my last line :-)
    I'm really not a hater , but I Know Detroit can do so much better , I mean come on !
    God quite playing into that current stereo type of Detroit ! We deserve better like stasu said we don't need another place for ray ray and poo poo to hang out, haven't they run enough people out of the city ? Go to any gas station in the city , stop that crap BEFORE it starts

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Untackify, I like that. My new word of the day.
    Aw thanks..I've got lots of 'em.

and @ DetroitBob, yes, I meant NORTH of the Hudson's space, not south. Pardon me.

Actually, this liquor store is not new, it's been there a couple of years, I think, adding lots of ambiance to the view across the street from the Somerset Citylofts.

Specifically, this is the Jazz Convenience Store on the east side of Woodward midway between John R and Grand River. I've not seen the lights at night, but inside it is a rather clean, and reasonably well-kept store -- certainly nicer than the liquor store on Broadway or the convenience store on Griswold. Personally, I have a bigger problem with the newish liquor store owned by the same folks in the old Cypress Taverna location in Greektown. I haven't been in there for a while, but they never had the shelf price tags under the bottles behind the counter, meaning that you had to ask about any bottle you were interested in. As I understand it, that's a violation of Michigan liquor law.

As for gaudy lights, I thought these fit the bill, but in the spirit of the holidays, I accepted them. Location, one block south of Jazz, west side of Woodward across from former Hudson's location.

Name:  2012-11-15 17.45.23.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  43.4 KB

It looks OK here. What exactly did they do? http://goo.gl/maps/GLRM2
    Last edited by gazhekwe; March-23-13 at 12:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast