Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Phrases that need to disappear

The one that I find really annoying is "I will get back to you at my earliest convenience." Translated: "I'll call you back whenever I feel like it."

To me, it just sounds like someone playing "I am so important" games. It is utterly unnecessary in any context, and I hear it most in professional settings.

Enough!

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    The one that I find really annoying is "I will get back to you at my earliest convenience." Translated: "I'll call you back whenever I feel like it."

To me, it just sounds like someone playing "I am so important" games. It is utterly unnecessary in any context, and I hear it most in professional settings.

Enough!
    Yes, I agree! Once upon a time it started out as "please call me back at your earliest convenience", which was actually being courteous to the other person, but eventually it got flipped to "my earliest convenience" which does make someone sound pretty self-important.

ASAP! It stands for "As Soon As Possible". Translated it means "The SOONEST I can POSSIBLY get to you is in two weeks".
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-22-13 at 10:45 AM.

Killin' it.

"Speaking truth to power"

So you are somehow speaking a concept to an undefined entity. Could any phrase invested with so much meaning be more meaningless?

"This page intentionally left blank."

No. That's a self-falsifying statement. That phrase is used to intentionally avoid leaving the page blank.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    "Speaking truth to power"

So you are somehow speaking a concept to an undefined entity. Could any phrase invested with so much meaning be more meaningless?
    Anytime I hear that, I know the person has spent time in a non-Catholic and usually non-denominational inner-city church. It is another of many trite church-isms or church-speak that can sound like code to newcomers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

No. That's a self-falsifying statement. That phrase is used to intentionally avoid leaving the page blank.
    it is in so many bid documents

"In terms of..." Ick...... that tired filler usually comes after or proceeds a bunch of double-talk, stuff-shirt language and banter which rarely clarifies a discussion. Often it is an indicator of someone not telling the full truth!
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-23-13 at 05:47 AM.

Hmmm, I never knew that annoying phrase had an alternative wording and usefulness!

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Yes, I agree! Once upon a time it started out as "please call me back at your earliest convenience", which was actually being courteous to the other person, but eventually it got flipped to "my earliest convenience" which does make someone sound pretty self-important.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-23-13 at 05:46 AM.

I worked at a special library at UM for a few years. Part of my job was copying and delivery of technical documents to engineers, lawyers, and academics.

That 5-word phrase probably saved a thousand calls from lawyers wondering if I miscopied or left out a page.

Now, a couple of decades later, whether submitting or reviewing bids for work, that little phrase reinforces that no important information was left out. Albeit, more proposals are using run-on formats, rather than book order, so there is less chance that there will be a blank page.

Instead of "this page intentionally left blank" why not just type "spacer page" or "filler page"?

phrases like;

"european styling" or european inspired something or other drives me up the wall. As if some dickhead sitting at a drafting table in Stuttgart or Paris were more "thenthitive" to the finer things in life. Fuggim.

Also, I really hate "value added" even though in the context of economics, it can be a valid expression, as an everyday term it sucks.
    Last edited by canuck; March-24-13 at 06:20 PM.

"save up to XX% and MORE!"

the "and more" totally nixes the "up to"

I introduced some British colleagues to Buzzword Bingo. They went wild over it. They started playing it at every meeting. Engineers over there love to rib each other for being too pompous.

I introduced some British colleagues to Buzzword Bingo. They went wild over it. They started playing it at every meeting. Engineers over there love to rib each other for being too pompous.
    Thanks Jimaz. " You learn something every day". My personal favorite. lol

It is what it is. Push back, why not just say resistance? Strategic planning-strategic means carefully planned, so you have carefully planned planning-kind of redundant. Best practices. Value add/value enhanced. Think outside the box. Right-sizing, why not just say downsizing? Proactive. Pull the trigger. Do less with more.
    I could go on seemingly endlessly, but I think these are enough for now.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Think outside the box. Right-sizing, why not just say downsizing?
    Why not just say throwing workers out on their asses so I can get a bigger bonus? that's what both terms really mean

"I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree" [I'm right, you're wrong - but you won't admit it]

"Your call is important to us" - robo voice [So important we understaff and the savings we make are directly proportionate to how long you wait on hold]

"
    Yes and no" [Get a fu*king life you indecisive azz]

"Epic" [no, it really wasn't that epic at all]

"Fail" [My 6 yo nephew would lol]

i guess that takes care of "epic fail" as well

"Wow factor" was one of mine. It made this list:

http://www.lssu.edu/banished/complete_list.php

Can we please remove the word "activity" from weather forecasts? "there's going to be some rain activity tomorrow afternoon. the rain will enjoy outings to the DIA, bowling and pizza!"

At the end of the day.

I know these aren't phrases, but I can't stand it when people use the word "Dude" or say "smh."

"No comment" Instead say nothing... unless you mean to convey a negative meaning or non-compliant response unstated.

"I don't mean to hurt your feelings..." This preamble usually proceeds a put down.

"Bipartisan Agreement..." This usually indicates neither.

"Tolerant or Tolerance" Often infers an 'intolerant' demand for endorsement and full agreement!

"I'm a Graphic Designer!"
    Isn't everyone who has some software and a keyboard?
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-01-13 at 07:45 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast