Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Chief Barren Fired

John Bennett has just reported on his DETROIT UNCOVERED website that Mayor Bing has fired Police Chief James Barren, replacing him Monday with Sheriff Warren Evans.

Who knows anything about this?

malto:wilson@wxyz.com
    Last edited by Lowell; July-06-09 at 01:04 PM.

WOW the best Chief Detroit has had in a long time fired when we need him most.

Hey steve maybe it was that BULL*HIT story you did on taking paid officers to Police week!!!

Mista Alan Guest

Default Channel 7: Chief Barren Fired

wow, channel 7 is reporting that barren was fired today by bing.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story/BREAK...U1TLJINGw.cspx

tru dat per wxyz ch. 7

Don't know what to think of this move. Warren Evans is a politician. Do the mayor of Detroit want a politician as his police chief? I guess so because it looks like Sheriff Evans who wanted to be Mayor Evans is going to be Chief Evans.

And so it begins....

Default chief fired

and they want to put the schools under the thumb of the mayor......can you imagine who he might put in charge of that???? there is no hope, just no hope anymore for Detroit.

Default Warren Evans, Detroit's Top Cop?

Just heard he might be named new Chief of Police, thoughts?

My thought is why? He just got re-elected.

Bad move for Bing.

Evans is way too close to the Shrine crowd [[Kilpatricks, Barbara-Rose, etc.) for my taste.

Retroit Guest

How strange! Today was the first time I saw Chief Barren giving a press conference [[on the bus stop shooting incident) and the next thing I hear, he's fired. Just a coincidence? Did he violate the apparent prohibition of press conferences by Mayor Bing?

Warren Evans was once married to Ella Bully Cummings. Their daughter worked for Kwame Kilpatrick during the Kwame and Christine scandal. I had hoped, Mayor Bing would start out with a clean slate of appointees, all I see in key positions is reruns of past administrations.

Why would Warren Evans want to be Detroit's police chief?!

Maybe it has to do with the fact the city is being shot up.
    Arresting that teen and having to let him go the next day was a public relations goof that probably cost him his job. The kid was laughing all the way home.

Bad move, according to a cop I know and respect. Maybe it will make sense as details become known, but right now it is a morale breaker on the force.
    A policeman out, a politician in.....

crawford Guest

So I guess King Kwame is still calling the shots. Everything old is new again...

Makes sense to me. One more substantial opponent out of the way for Bing; one big well-connected player in his corner. I guess this website can be taken down.

Bing is showing more political skills, like them or not. So much for those who guffawed about what a novice we was.
    Last edited by Lowell; July-03-09 at 11:10 PM.

Dumas, Bing’s spokeswoman, maintained today that Barren remains the city’s top cop. “He is still the chief,” Dumas said.

“Until an official announcement is made regarding any changes, they’re just rumors,” she said. “The mayor has not received or accepted his resignation.”
    http://www.freep.com/article/2009070...s+police+chief

And why is Tom Barrow still around? Didn't he run against Coleman a few times?

Default absolutely ridiculous

chief barren gave detroit citizens and cops hope! This sounds purely political and it is ashame that "mayor"bing would go back on a campaign promise and appoint warren evans. The man is a tyrant and he is a little too close to kwame. Looks like bing is just finding all the trash from the previous admins and appointing them to wreak havoc on the city once againg. First it's charlie beck, then kilpatrick's financial director, karen dumas, and now warren evans. What's next monica conyers as his press secretary?

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Maybe it has to do with the fact the city is being shot up.
    Arresting that teen and having to let him go the next day was a public relations goof that probably cost him his job. The kid was laughing all the way home.
    Yeah I agree. something happened, pretty sure it will all come out in a few days. Detroit politics has to be the "laughing stock" of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    How strange! Today was the first time I saw Chief Barren giving a press conference [[on the bus stop shooting incident) and the next thing I hear, he's fired. Just a coincidence? Did he violate the apparent prohibition of press conferences by Mayor Bing?
    I was wondering why the chief had not spoken and once he does this happens. WOW

If I were Evens I would look at that as a demotion., But maybe he is thinking this job could lead to him being the Mayor.

gravitymachine Guest

goddamn this has me pissed off. but its just furter proof that bing is beholden to all of the same cabals that kwame was. meet the new boss, same as the old boss. bing is just keeping the seat warm until the kleptocracy can groom another wunderkind like kwame.

I think you hit the nail on the head reddog. I had the same 'demotion' bewilderment too, for a minute, but then it made sense.

Bing is up in years, albeit healthy and vigorous, but I would be surprised to see him take the grief of Detroit mayorship with no particular future for him for more than a term or two at the most. If I were in Evan's shoes and wanted to succeed Bing this would be the best move I could make.

Playing ball with Bing lines him better up for his real ambitions. Police Chief of Detroit holds far higer profile, in terms of the Detroit electorate, than Wayne County top cop. But, buyer beware, the position is also fraught with pitfalls. Just ask his ex.
    Last edited by Lowell; July-04-09 at 08:10 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast