Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 1990 ABC Primetime

Racist whites vs. a defiant, devisive Coleman Young. Is it any wonder things haven't changed much in 20 years. The downtown vs. neighborhood development theme is already raging as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbsgLcV4o1k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvTvLk2zySw

Curiously relevant in 2013. I found myself asking, what has changed in 23 the years since this was broadcast?

Quote Originally Posted by callmefbm View Post
    Curiously relevant in 2013. I found myself asking, what has changed in 23 the years since this was broadcast?
    Suburban Rizzos no longer have Coleman Young to blame, so now they blame the hundreds of thousands of poor Detroiters for not "pulling themselves up by their bootstraps."

In 1990 the neighborhoods were significantly stronger while the final stores were closing downtown. The City has changed significantly over the last 23 years.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Suburban Rizzos no longer have Coleman Young to blame, so now they blame the hundreds of thousands of poor Detroiters for not "pulling themselves up by their bootstraps."

It's everyone elses fault except the felons committing the crimes.

That's right, CAY's been six feet under for more then a decade now. Let's blame it all on Kwame.

I'm not sure of where you're coming from 401don. Detroit achieved exactly what it set out to do. It got rid of racist whites. Non-racist blacks have controlled the city since and run it in a way that would persuade them not to return. I would say mission accomplished.
    Last edited by coracle; March-22-13 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    I'm not sure of where you're coming from 401don. Detroit achieved exactly what it set out to do. It got rid of racist whites. Non-racist blacks have controlled the city since and run it in a way that would persuade them not to return. I would say mission accomplished.
    Also eliminated the majority of racist white businesses.....great job!

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    It got rid of a lot of wealthy folks too regardless of ethnicity. In 1990 there were several wealthy neighborhoods where people wanted to live. Now there are a lot fewer.

Wow, all it takes is a 20+ year old video of Coleman Young to fire up a nice racial "debate" here on Dyes. Yay!

I don't think the suburbs blame Detroiters as much as they would blame the elected officials that have selfishly run this city through the mud with only self preservation in mind. How many years has the city been roiled in pay-to-play?

As much as any population that has wallowed in its own demise for this long seems to think there is no answer moving forward, they DO still need to reach on down and take a firm grasp of those bootstraps. It's what separates the winners from the losers. Unless of course you believe there are only two choices: Giving up and waiting for a hand out.

Those who give up only further exemplify the dubious leadership that have hijacked the city to begin with.

No you're wrong as usual; us Rizzos still like to blame Young. But we don't blame your "hundreds of thousands" of poor people who are paid enough by Democrats to remain poor. We'd like to get in on the free stuff ourselves.

Hahaha. Look at all the white racists come out to play. What a surprise your ideas on everything else make about as much sense as your tribal chauvinism.

Shollin Guest

Anyone who is white, moved to the suburbs, and doesn't want to live in Detroit is racist.

I figure all you white racists know who you are. You don't have to admit it, not that you would, naturally. It's all about "crime" and "property values" and "good schools," of course.

A desolute Downtown Detroit, Dennis Archer's regional revolution, Kwame Kilpatrick's Manoogian Parties and Bing's sloppy work. Detroit is back to square one, a dark age city filled murderers, madness and mayhem. Too many broken families with uneducated kids. Detroit is financially broke and its under an emergency financial manager to oversee its monetary issues. And it all started with the Kleptocracy of our first black mayor Coleman A. Young.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Anyone who is white, moved to the suburbs, and doesn't want to live in Detroit is racist.
    What if your family never lived in the city, and only went downtown to spend money on goods and services? Does that exonerate you from the broad strokes of the racist label?

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    What if your family never lived in the city, and only went downtown to spend money on goods and services? Does that exonerate you from the broad strokes of the racist label?
    Nope. If you're white and living in the suburbs you're racist.

Depends. Are you buying daishikis and fried chicken downtown?

Depends. Are you buying daishikis and fried chicken downtown?
    Nope - $11 beers at the Joe and maybe a couple loose's at Laffayette. Maybe drop a twen into a slot and bolt. No gas, no clothes, no groceries [[obviously) and definitely no daishikis, cuz I have no clue what those are.

Shollin Guest

Nope - $11 beers at the Joe and maybe a couple loose's at Laffayette. Maybe drop a twen into a slot and bolt. No gas, no clothes, no groceries [[obviously) and definitely no daishikis, cuz I have no clue what those are.
    I think they are some sort of multi colored robe worn by Africans.

I figure all you white racists know who you are. You don't have to admit it, not that you would, naturally. It's all about "crime" and "property values" and "good schools," of course.
    Man, your sarcasim is actually fact. People who CARE about their communities & families DO want good schools with a safe enviroment in which they can raise their families. They dont care WHO is in this enviroment as long as they are good people who take care of themselves and each other. I will always choose the best enviroment I can for my family and use the criteria listed above to do so. Keep thinking its race but you are 100% mistaken.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    Man, your sarcasim is actually fact. People who CARE about their communities & families DO want good schools with a safe enviroment in which they can raise their families. They dont care WHO is in this enviroment as long as they are good people who take care of themselves and each other. I will always choose the best enviroment I can for my family and use the criteria listed above to do so. Keep thinking its race but you are 100% mistaken.
    But wait, if this neighborhood you speak of is white and not in Detroit, it is racism. I'm not sure what all the blacks who are leaving Detroit to inner ring suburbs for better environment are called? Could they be racists too? I think racism only applies to white people.

Drop in at Joe Porter Menswear sometime. Get yourself a peppermint summer suit, lime gators and a wintergreen panama to match.

Well Detroit still had around a million residents and a black middle class. And an official unemployment rate only a little north of 10%. Sounds like those were the golden years by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I think they are some sort of multi colored robe worn by Africans.
    I think I just wet myself. Awesome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast