Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Car insurance prices keeping keeping some Detroiters from voting.

Ridiculous.

Keenan knows the price of honesty from experience. In 2002, he moved two blocks — from one block north of Eight Mile Road, in Ferndale, to one block south, in Detroit, and saw his annual premium jump from $1,700 to $3,700.
    Absolutely ridiculous.

The results, ... show voter participation rates far below 64.7 percent — Michigan’s turnout in the 2012 general election — and even below the city’s turnout of 50 percent....The result was 32 percent. Even assuming the leanest possible occupancy of one adult per unit, the rate only rises to 45 percent.
    Another ill, along with property value, blight and abandonment that a comprehensive, thorough public transit system would quickly [[not instantly) take care of.

Get it done.

Give these bloodsuckers the finger.

Even crazier is that Detroit isn't even in the Top 10 metro areas for highest stolen cars. 2011 is the latest data I could find.
    http://www.rmiia.org/auto/auto_theft...s.asp#national

Auto insurance is a thorn in my side right now. I'm wondering if a SERIOUS study is being done whatsoever on the impact of this in the state. I am with a second company that is now dropping Michigan because they can't fairly do business here anymore. These were both companies who are not fly by night but smaller agencies that have been around since the early days of vehicles.

As I shop for DECENT rates I keep seeing the hugest inconsistency and confusion ever to obtain a policy. Forget those online quotes, THOSE are the hugest joke of all! I can see why folks are buying it off the streets, insurance rates I've been told are higher then an average car payment. Won't be getting a new car soon in this state.

The worst part is I'm a 44 yr. old driver who lives in 48185 [[Westland). No claims or tickets in over 25 years. Good credit. Was just paying $97 per month for limited on a 2007 paid off Chevy Colbalt and getting quotes now for around $150 per month for PLPD????

It's sickening to me that our state is allowing this to happen in the Metro Detroit area. The least that could happen is some type of tax deduction.

If anyone knows a good and fair agent please let me know as I continue to shop.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    If anyone knows a good and fair agent please let me know as I continue to shop.
    I don't think [[know for sure) that it's the individual agent. I think prices are set by the companies like gasoline prices. I sure am surprised to hear prices are bad in Westland too.

A lot of what we pay comes from the no fault/MCCA issue. With the helmet law replealed last year, everyone in the state will end up paying a lot more for those who are under-insured because the deaths and debilitating injuries have spiked.

The politicos who bowed to the motorcycle freedom lobby did no one any favors.

If you want to drive you better have a spotless record, a credit score over 750, and drive a ten year old car if you want affordable insurance.

Where drivers pay the most [[and least) for car insurance

Michigan was found to be the next-costliest state for car insurance, with average premiums at $2,250 that can be largely accredited to state regulations that guarantee unlimited, lifetime personal-injury protection benefits for treatment of injuries that result from an auto accident.

Lack of cars keep Detroiters from voting??

When I lived in Detroit, there were four of those ugly green portable voting places plus three schools which had voting on premises within a reasonable walk. How far can a voting place be? Have they made the precincts larger?

Problem with auto insurance? Get the lawyers, chiropractors, and accupuncturists out of the business. An accident is an accident is an accident. Nobody is at fault. No fault insurance fixes your car and single payer for all [[we can dream) medical care fixes you. No courts, no lawyers, no complicated insurance.

Just thought it's interesting that one of the ideas being floated is a white candidate has a chance to win with a larger white voting block.

Not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    A lot of what we pay comes from the no fault/MCCA issue. With the helmet law replealed last year, everyone in the state will end up paying a lot more for those who are under-insured because the deaths and debilitating injuries have spiked.

The politicos who bowed to the motorcycle freedom lobby did no one any favors.

If you want to drive you better have a spotless record, a credit score over 750, and drive a ten year old car if you want affordable insurance.
    It is utterly ridiculous to use credit scores to determine how much your rate should be. It should be based on driving record ONLY. There are plenty of people with marginal credit that pay their premiums on time, but get screwed because their scores aren't 700 or more. You're not a person, just a number. It's B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    It is utterly ridiculous to use credit scores to determine how much your rate should be. It should be based on driving record ONLY. There are plenty of people with marginal credit that pay their premiums on time, but get screwed because their scores aren't 700 or more. You're not a person, just a number. It's B.S.
    I agree. I'm still trying to draw a parallel between your credit score and your driving record. It sounds like trummed-up BS to charge higher premiums to me. I hope they don't decide to go by hair lines instead. I'm in real trouble then.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    It has nothing to do with your driving record, it has to do with fiscal risk. Someone with a high credit score but a lousy driving record won't fare well.

People with higher credit scores tend to be responsible and keep high deductibles. In general, they will minimize risk and exposure to things that will cost them money [[drunk driving, parking on streets where breakins occur, etc). This means less risk for the insurance agency.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; June-04-13 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    It has nothing to do with your driving record, it has to do with fiscal risk. Someone with a high credit score but a lousy driving record won't fare well.

People with higher credit scores tend to be responsible and keep high deductibles. In general, they will minimize risk and exposure to things that will cost them money [[drunk driving, parking on streets where breakins occur, etc). This means less risk for the insurance agency.
    That answer is very subjective and there are plenty of people with high scores who have been nailed for driving drunk, and having their car broke into or stolen being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The risk factor you suggest is hyperbole. It's just another way of insurance companies to screen people and screw them to pay higher rates because their score isn't deemed high enough.. Like I stated before, there are plenty of people who don't have high incomes or scores that pay their premiums on time. Insurance is a requirement that HAS to be paid or you run the risk of further trouble if you're in a serious accident, so I would think most people would pay regardless of FICO.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-04-13 at 04:07 PM.

Here is something from Bankrate. Bankrate is pro-consumer in that it provides information about what companies are offering the best deals to investors.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/ins...it-scores1.asp

Edmunds provides information for motorists and is an unbiased source:

http://www.edmunds.com/auto-insuranc...nce-rates.html

http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...e-good-credit/

Here is the Federal Trade Commission's take:
    http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...-and-insurance

If you reduce your risk through having a good credit score you will save money not only on insurance, but if you need to get a loan for the car, the overall cost of the loan.

You can save money two ways by adjusting your driving habits as well. A speedy driver will burn much more gas than an unspeedy one, a speedy driver is also at greater risk of getting a ticket that will end up increasing your insurance.

By choosing to park in a garage instead of on the street you also reduce your risk of having your car broken into, and filing claims that will ultimately increase the cost of insurance not only for you but of all who live in the area where your car was broken into.

There is a lot about these costs that you as the car owner can control. You need to learn how to game the system as it is easier to change your habits than to fight what many find is rational.

One more thing, if you really want to get mad click on the link below and scroll down where you see rates on the right side and click on auto insurance. http://finance.yahoo.com/
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; June-04-13 at 06:40 PM.

In a way I'm not getting the whole 'fiscal' risk relative to 'insurance companies' not wanting poor FICO scores floatsum [[sic). Hah.

If the person pays their premium they're good to go -- you don't pay: insurance is CANCELLED -- the relationship severed. They don't refund any already paid premiums last I checked.

And say the next day you have an accident the insurer is off the hook for any liability specific to you or your sheet metal [[or plastic composites)

OK... the issue must be the expense -- broad spectrum and specific -- that uninsured drivers cause to those insured putting forth accident claims against their insurance companies whom they DO pay a premium to.

Still, making it harder for people to acquire and pay for insurance does not fix that problem? More and more people will continue to drive un-insured.

Personally, I'm ok as I drive older cars and don't deal with the big box insurance co's. In this area 'new car' insurance is just not affordable. Got the memo...

With the economy as it is even the most reasonable, responsible of folk have ended up on the lower end of the credit rating scale.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-04-13 at 07:25 PM.

A lot of my friends that moved downtown have given up on insuring their cars and have parked them at a friends or relatives house. They just walk, take buses, or bum rides from coworkers.

^^^ Take buses...? That's brave.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post

When I lived in Detroit, there were four of those ugly green portable voting places plus three schools which had voting on premises within a reasonable walk. How far can a voting place be? Have they made the precincts larger?
    I think yours was the only post that discussed voting -- rather than the rapists.

There's no real connection here between the abuse of insurance companies and ability to vote. No more than between the price of gasoline and the ability to vote.

My rate went up by 400.00 USDdue to, AAA claims the increase in the catastrophic premium by the state [[80.00) and the increase for medical coverage at 331.00. This for a 2012 Ford Fiesta. Even though I have coordinated medical care with my 100% everything covered health plan...should have bought a clunker. Friends who moved from Huntington Woods to the Broderick Tower saw their rates rise from approx. 3k for both SUV's to 3k for EACH vehicle based on their honesty on providing their proud new Detroit [[non-redlined) address. Now with gas topping out at over 4.00 its getting craazy to drive.
    Last edited by detroitbob; June-05-13 at 01:03 AM.

There is some connection, but I am not sure how much... Car pooling the day of an election is an option. One I've seen used back when I was an election worker. I know that during the 2008 Presidential Election here in Detroit there was free transpo offered by several community service organizations and churches... but you had to plan ahead to get the rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I think yours was the only post that discussed voting -- rather than the rapists.

There's no real connection here between the abuse of insurance companies and ability to vote. No more than between the price of gasoline and the ability to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Take buses...? That's brave.
    My neighbor takes the Grand River bus to downtown all the time. I've asked him about his satisfaction with the bus - he has no problem with it.

When I don't want to drive though, I still cab it downtown since by the time I and my husband each pay for bus fare, it's just a few bucks more for us to take the cab.

And I walk to my voting precinct. It's half a mile from my house, if that. However, I've read a lot about new Detroiters not registering their address in Detroit to keep their insurance from raising - and thus not being able to vote. I think that could be a real problem.

Insurance is rediculous in the City. You'd be better off buying two cars. Hell thats what you're doing anyway. I was quoted $400 a month for collision and liabilty with NO THEFT for a 2004 Buick. I was like O Well cant afford that. Called the hook up man. Got the hook up and been riding without insurance. Fuck it. I say every Detroiter shouldnt pay insurance. And the no fault places are even worse. One told me $251 for a 7-day policy to get tags. I was like are you serious. Never had an accident, never had a theft, never even got a speeding ticket. I did get a rolling through stop sign when I was a kid but thats about it. They all say my zip code is the highest in the State but I'm like why. Oh Well I'll just be driving carefully

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post

I think maybe the issue is people are using false addresses for insurance therefore not registered to vote in Detroit?

Insurance affects voter turnout because Alot of Detroit residents have suburban addresses on their ID's for insurance purposes

My insurance didn't raise when I moved here from Chicago. I live in 48208. I guess it's a glitch? Hope nobody notices...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast