Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Michigan's "1%"?

I was stunned by this quote from our Governor in the Freep regarding the EFM's tax lien...
    "Speaking at the kickoff of a two-day economic summit Monday morning in Detroit, Snyder downplayed the impact of the disclosure of the liens.
    "I just view it as that's not something he was aware of," Snyder said. "Those things can happen where you had a nanny helping you in your house, you took care of part of the issues and your accountant missed something. And you just go get it taken care of and move ahead.""
    He sounds nearly as disconnected from the people as one failed Presidential candidate!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitArtSeen View Post
    I was stunned by this quote from our Governor in the Freep regarding the EFM's tax lien...
    "Speaking at the kickoff of a two-day economic summit Monday morning in Detroit, Snyder downplayed the impact of the disclosure of the liens.
    "I just view it as that's not something he was aware of," Snyder said. "Those things can happen where you had a nanny helping you in your house, you took care of part of the issues and your accountant missed something. And you just go get it taken care of and move ahead.""
    He sounds nearly as disconnected from the people as one failed Presidential candidate!
    You got all that out of one sentence, eh?

Nanny issues sunk Kimba White back in the Clinton days.

Absolutely! I mean, who doesn't constantly check with the office of deeds to see if there are any liens on property they own?

Fits in with half of native Detroiters. They choose to not pay their property taxes either. What does 1% have to do with it?

You know who else has trouble paying their bills? The City of Detroit, albeit on a much larger, more disorganized scale. Everything I've read about this man suggests he's the right one for the job.

I guess everyone here makes sure their house staff and various domestic employees are properly taken care of. My mistake for considering a different world.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitArtSeen View Post
    You know, the really successful people get "disconnected" as you say because they are super busy accomplishing things on a large scale. Their services are in ultra-high demand so they find themselves flying all over the globe, working insane hours, and delegating everything they can to try to keep all the balls in the air. I'm sure Orr isn't home every night by 5:00 sorting through the Comcast bills, grocery store coupons and perhaps the State of Maryland lien notice. Cut him a little slack. He/his accountant messed up, paid up, end of story.

For the folks who don't like what he represents or what he's going to do, there will be plenty of opportunities to criticize him for the inevitable layoffs, restructurings, pay cuts, benefit rollbacks, union contract cancellations, asset sales, bond defaults and occasional impolitic remarks. Get your grapes ready and limber up your pitching arm.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Absolutely! I mean, who doesn't constantly check with the office of deeds to see if there are any liens on property they own?
    Nobody does until he's offered a $275,000 per year job and don't want to embarrass the new employer with surprises. But there again maybe the applicant did check and thought these unpaid claims would give him street creds in his new job; and maybe his employer agreed with him.
    Last edited by coracle; March-20-13 at 08:27 PM.

let him/her who has no leins or tax debts throw the first stone.
    can any of you say you never had a lein or overdue/penalty tax bill?

why does this job pay $270K anyways? whats the governors pay?

Yep, never. Got enough problems without owing the government exorbitant amounts of money.