Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What if detroit became part of oakland county?

i know it's insane, but i just thought i'd put it out there to start a discussion:

what if detroit became part of oakland county. it would lessen the burden on wayne county, perhaps increase cooperation between the county and the city since their fates would be related. there's a lot of cool hypotheticals.

i'm not asking for why it shouldn't/couldn't/wouldn't happen, i'm just engaging in some fantasy for the sake of discussion. i know i've seen crazier things discussed here.

it would definitely shake things up.

thoughts?

That would convince me to stay in Michigan, but it ain't happening.

If Brooks Patterson allowed Pontiac to drown, why would he care if Detroit was under his watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    If Brooks Patterson allowed Pontiac to drown, why would he care if Detroit was under his watch?
    perhaps. but back then he was convinced troy could be the next center of the region, what with that crazy boulevard pipe dream on big beaver. also, he has somewhat come around to the idea of working with detroit [[as far as he can... sorta... kinda... maybe...)

It would launch the biggest boom ever in Livingston County.

If Detroit were part of Oakland County...

I can't see that ending well, although Brooks would be out of a job the next election cycle

Detroit becoming part of Oakland County! AHAHAHAHA!!! No way. Detroit stays south of 8 Mile Rd. In Wayne County where it belongs.

Why would Detroit even want to join Oakland County?

Quote Originally Posted by hamtramck boy View Post
    i'm not asking for why it shouldn't/couldn't/wouldn't happen, i'm just engaging in some fantasy for the sake of discussion.
    Reading comprehension, folks. Yet, half the responses are "never happen!" and "WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?"

But I have to agree with the comment about a boom in Livingston County.

David Rusk has written about "elastic" cities that grown and reap the tax revenues of the suburban environments as well to fund a vigorous downtown. It's in his book "Cities Without Suburbs."

It's not as uncommon as you might think. Rusk details plenty of cities, such as Indianapolis, that sweep from the city through the suburbs, leaving everything much stabler funding.

Of course, the likelihood of it happening in "Racism, U.S.A.," with its enshrinement of Home Rule in the state constitution, is very unlikely.

We've talked about a Greater Detroit before on this board. Usually a stimulating and interesting discussion. I was surprised to hear some of the New Urbanist voices on DetroitYES dismissing Rusk's ideas because, even though they capture revenue, they still enable sprawl, and do little to ensure a tight metro where the true expenses of living in the middle of nowhere are paid.

Quote Originally Posted by webband1 View Post
    Reading comprehension, folks. Yet, half the responses are "never happen!" and "WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?"

Well, the o/p shouldn't have asked such a stupid question if s/he didn't want replies questioning the merits.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    David Rusk has written about "elastic" cities that grown and reap the tax revenues of the suburban environments as well to fund a vigorous downtown. It's in his book "Cities Without Suburbs."

It's not as uncommon as you might think. Rusk details plenty of cities, such as Indianapolis, that sweep from the city through the suburbs, leaving everything much stabler funding.

Of course, the likelihood of it happening in "Racism, U.S.A.," with its enshrinement of Home Rule in the state constitution, is very unlikely.

We've talked about a Greater Detroit before on this board. Usually a stimulating and interesting discussion. I was surprised to hear some of the New Urbanist voices on DetroitYES dismissing Rusk's ideas because, even though they capture revenue, they still enable sprawl, and do little to ensure a tight metro where the true expenses of living in the middle of nowhere are paid.
    The way I understand the question is that the o/p is only asking what if the city of Detroit moved from Wayne to Oakland, leaving all other municipal boundary definitions in tact. That doesn't really change anything...

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    The way I understand the question is that the o/p is only asking what if the city of Detroit moved from Wayne to Oakland, leaving all other municipal boundary definitions in tact. That doesn't really change anything...
    It would change a lot, IMO. For one, Brooks wouldn't be reelected, and while he may be a jerk, he's also been an excellent financial steward for Oakland County.

Oakland would probably start Wayne-izing, with higher property taxes, crappier services, and population and business loss.

It is confusingly worded. But I think as the very least what he's saying is what if Detroit were shifted from Wayne to Oakland county, if not what I had at first thought.

It's funny to think of, though. Like a big birthday part for L. Brooks Patterson, and just as all the pink faces in the room flush red with too much gin, Miss Detroit pops out of the cake.
    Last edited by Detroitnerd; March-20-13 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    that's a good point. what if there were a more regional approach? what if the city was part of all three counties [[wayne, macomb, oakland)? and all burdens were split in three [[from budgetary to municipal duties to a third of the county level prosecution and everything else).

just more "what if" scenarios that could get people to look at things in a different light.

we're at an interesting point in our history and with a city that's so great that has fallen so far, why should any option be off the table? even pipe dreams can help spark realistic ideas.

I think regional amalgamation would have a more profound effect than Detroit joining Oakland County. So, I would prefer amalgamating the tri-counties over this idea. Plus, amalgamation seems more realistic [[in a relative sense, because I can't imagine suburbanites embracing either idea).

Quote Originally Posted by hamtramck boy View Post
    that's a good point. what if there were a more regional approach? what if the city was part of all three counties [[wayne, macomb, oakland)? and all burdens were split in three [[from budgetary to municipal duties to a third of the county level prosecution and everything else).

just more "what if" scenarios that could get people to look at things in a different light.

we're at an interesting point in our history and with a city that's so great that has fallen so far, why should any option be off the table? even pipe dreams can help spark realistic ideas.
    I don't see what Wayne County is burdened with regarding Detroit? Or how that would change with a tri-county split? The only thing the county pays for is road maintenance and jails, no? What other cost is Detroit burdening the county with?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    It's funny to think of, though. Like a big birthday part for L. Brooks Patterson, and just as all the pink faces in the room flush red with too much gin, Miss Detroit pops out of the cake.
    Then L. makes a pass at her, and the Spirit of Detroit gets angry and goes all Hulk on him. I wish I could do animation...wouldn't even have to mod their color schemes.

I think it best to just invade and conquer Oakland County, at least the southern part. In reviewing the archives, I found some old plans to move troops into Livonia, which was largely misunderstood as an invasion...but it seems to have been the juggernaut staging for a real invasion into Farmington, easily the weakest entry point of all the border towns along the 8 Mile Front. I'm quite sure this will work.

We've word of some Detroit sympathizers deep within the Farmington Hills borders, and resupply can happen along many major thoroughfares.
    Last edited by Gannon; March-20-13 at 01:38 PM.

Not a terrible idea, Gannon. I'd imagine Inkster could be enlisted to help a wider push for Dearborn, pinching the city from both sides. Once Dearborn falls, River Rouge, Melvindale, and Ecorse would quickly capitulate. In short order, Detroit's forces would be pushing against once imposing havens like Wyandotte and Southgate. Yes, there's Lincoln Park and Allen Park blocking such a move, but given the negative perceptions surrounding those cities, it wouldn't take much to stir up some proper white flight.

Quote Originally Posted by webband1 View Post

Why go into a in-depth discussion over a mere fantasy?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Why go into a in-depth discussion over a mere fantasy?
    Quite! When you can have an in-depth fantasy instead!

The Allen Park situation is easy. The two EFMs mudwrestle in a pit in the middle of I-94, with the big tire in the background...the winner gets to run the merged financially-managed emerging emergency city. Don't know how that all squeezed out.

missed my naptime, damn consulting research project is keeping me burning real worktime...

I don't see how that would be anything other than recruiting troops for the real push northward. We'll join with Toledo later to keep the south Wayne county and even Monroe solidly behind us. But we can't forget that Oakland County is the goal. At least everything south of where they have to use septic tanks still. Yanno, where the infrastructure goes. Maybe we can put some dye in the water and invade until the color changes...checking sinks along the way.
    Last edited by Gannon; March-20-13 at 04:36 PM.

You're not looking at the bigger picture, Gannon. When white flight hits Downriver hard, where are they going to go? Oakland County! Monroe County is too far away, and no one willingly moves to Macomb County - it's an affliction you're born with. Once the residents in Oakland County are forced tp share distinguished enclaves like Rochester Hills with Downriver rats from Grosse Ile, they'll begin to flee to Livingston and Washtenaw en masse. In the confusion, it should be easy to take Oakland County.

For one, Brooks wouldn't be reelected, and while he may be a jerk, he's also been an excellent financial steward for Oakland County.
    Maybe, but he's been a poisonous figure for the region as a whole..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast