Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Jerry Oliver, former Kilpatrick Police Chief, speaks out

The Job Was Crazy, But Jerry Oliver Didn't Suspect He Was Working For a Racketeer

Interesting interview by Ben Schmitt in Deadline Detroit with Jerry Oliver, Kilpatrick's first police chief.

“Unchallenged power can easily be corrupted,” Oliver said. “I have never seen a city like that where the mayor is king. Everybody was kissing his ring and kissing his ass to work with the city and that was part of the problem. He discovered he could do whatever he wanted. He gets an entourage. He gets a mansion. There are advance people arriving at locations before him for security scans.”
    Link here
    Last edited by downtownguy; March-20-13 at 09:09 AM.

FYI, your link is off...

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...st_appointment

Really interesting read.
    Last edited by TexasT; March-20-13 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    FYI, your link is off...

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...st_appointment

Really interesting read.
    Thanks. Fixed it.

Great article. Helps explain some things, he was a dupe hired to show an honest face...but became a liability once that honesty was proven more than mere veneer.

I especially like this comment and quote:

Predictably, Oliver isn’t a Duggan fan.

“I look at that city and think they need a fresh start,” Oliver said. “Duggan, certainly, is not that. He’s part of that old, McNamara regime.”
    It is always nice when someone else agrees witcha...

The mayor with all the flair...accompanied by his chief of staff
    plus chief of Staff was spelled with the S capitalized, that should have been another hint

with this in mind-- what does this bode for any potentialfor internal changes in the Detroit Police Dept.? Is any non-Detroit candidatedoomed to be labeled right off the bat as a carpetbagger and stonewalled fromday one to resignation/termination? How much has really gotten accomplishedwith respect to the federal oversight? How much of the department's tech andprocedures are mired in circa 1981 standards?

Bring in Robert DoQui.

It's a good read, but I wish everyone would drop the Killpatrick/Beatty affair, because it's irrelevant. A moral issue, perhaps. Paying $9 mil with taxpayer funds as hush money, that's relevant.

You really don't know who the fuck she was, do you?!

'' I did not have text with Miss Slowski ''

"I don't whore around on my wife.....I want people to understand that I would never disrespect my God, my wife or my children"
    Last edited by Smirnoff; March-20-13 at 04:55 PM.

Y'know, I retired from the DPD in 1984, before all this shit took place, and while Coleman Young was still the HNIC. While I smelled trouble coming, I was glad to take my leave. But I absolutely cannot believe what has taken place since my last DPD working day.

Anyway, good read, indeed.

Kind of makes me cringe to hear an older white male use that acronym.

What I believe Ray meant was "H.M.F.I.C.", which Mayor Young had proudly displayed on a name plate sitting on his desk.