Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Downtown Synagogue is looking for help to expand

I am not affiliated with the synagogue at all, but I thought this was a good cause and decided to share. The Issac Agree Downtown Synagogue is trying to make repairs and upgrades to their building including a fire escape that would allow them to expand into the 3rd and 4th floor of the house of worship located on Griswold and Clifford. While unfortunately I am not financially able to contribute at this time I hope they meet their goal and can beautify this little corner of downtown.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/make-it-history

That synagogue was for decades a conservative shul - I don't remember anything reformed about it from the times I was there. I think that changed when their rabbi died.

Still conservative, according to their website.

http://downtownsynagogue.org/history/

I go by this building all the time and assumed it was abandoned [[like pretty much everything else on Griswold)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I go by this building all the time and assumed it was abandoned [[like pretty much everything else on Griswold)
    Right, I'm still waiting for that rumored Capitol Park redevelopment to start.

Drove north on Griswold last Friday night after dark and the windows of Synagogue were brightly lit...first time I remember that in years. It was nice see some signs of life on that stretch of Griswold!

Bumping this thread, 53 hours left and they are just under $4,000 away from their goal.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Bumping this thread, 53 hours left and they are just under $4,000 away from their goal.
    And they've made the goal!

I found this charming "Mogen D" stained glass piece in the video.

Glad they got their goal, any positive work on Griswold is definitely a good thing. Brightening up that block with something other than the Grind will be nice. With this and the new "Louie's" maybe we'll see a little more activity around there.