Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default About that Great Republican Minority Outreach of 2013.

Yeah....

Well, good luck with that!

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Yeah....

Well, good luck with that!
    Agreed, Republicans probably aren't going to have much luck approaching minorities although black incomes, savings, and home ownership have taken a harder hit, by percentage, than whites under Obama.

Here's a speech from the same CPAC get together. At least this guy isn't the object of discernible racists. I think he received 4% of the CPAC straw vote.

Dr. Benjamin Carson speaking at CPAC Where's the racist guy?

Everything is color to all the hyper-sensitives.
    When are Americans going to realize the primary job of Government is to keep us safe, promote a strong economy, get Americans back to work and to stay out of our personal lives as much as possible, and to spend only as much as they take in?

Keep looking at that squirrel, ADD America. Don't look at what's going on in front of your faces - Government Failing at their responsibilities... BIG TIME.
    Last edited by Papasito; March-18-13 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post

Everything is color to all the hyper-sensitives.
    When are Americans going to realize the primary job of Government is to keep us safe, promote a strong economy, get Americans back to work and to stay out of our personal lives as much as possible, and to spend only as much as they take in?

Keep looking at that squirrel, ADD America. Don't look at what's going on in front of your faces - Government Failing at their responsibilities... BIG TIME.

Too many in members in the Republican Party that speaks offensive words about Blacks and Hispanics.

Bigots can't help it.

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryNotHisStory View Post
    Too many in members in the Republican Party that speaks offensive words about Blacks and Hispanics.

Bigots can't help it.
    As previously pointed out, blacks have suffered more under Obama than whites. Meanwhile Democrats and status quo Republicans are working feverishly to destroy black entry level job opportunities and blue collar non-government unions with their amnesty bill. I'll agree that there are some bigots in the Republican Party. Democrats are equally bigoted in their own ways but the level of betrayal of US workers by Democrats is unrivaled by Republicans who don't pretend to represent workers.

This is true... however, there has been alot of condescension from the dem side of the coin. Condescension gets a pass more readliy as it is often cloaked in the form of a benefit or perceived advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryNotHisStory View Post

Bigots can't help it.

I agree. Good example...

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Democrats are equally bigoted in their own ways but the level of betrayal of US workers by Democrats is unrivaled by Republicans who don't pretend to represent workers.

As previously pointed out, blacks have suffered more under Obama than whites.
    That's pretty disingenuous. Blacks, because of their precarious position on the economic totem pole would have suffered more than whites regardless of who was in power. There's a statement that the black community has made for decades that pretty much sums the situation.. last ones hired, first ones fired

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    That's pretty disingenuous. Blacks, because of their precarious position on the economic totem pole would have suffered more than whites regardless of who was in power. There's a statement that the black community has made for decades that pretty much sums the situation.. last ones hired, first ones fired
    I disagree. It seems logical that the last ones hired are the first ones fired and that is what the media has always taught me but more recent immigrant groups from Asia, or Somalia for that matter, would also be suffering more right now if that were the case. I haven't seen any statistics to suggest those other groups have gone down the tube relative to whites as US blacks have under Obama. I suspect that the " last ones hired, first ones fired " reasoning is overblown.

My County's largest minority group are the Amish. They are competing with Monsanto and the USDA with horses and eighth grade educations but keep buying more land. In an adjacent county the largest minority are Hmong. I keep seeing especially their girls taking all sorts of academic awards even though their parents speak broken English and have crummy jobs. I don't see that either of those groups slid, relative to average whites, in the Bush/Obama recession. I see the opposite. I wonder why doesn't "last one hired, first one fired" apply to them even though they compete with language problems, poor educational backgrounds, and even horses. The Amish, for the most part, lean Republican but usually don't vote and the Hmong lean Democrat. I don't see either group tying their success to government.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I agree. Good example..
    Originally Posted by oladubDemocrats are equally bigoted in their own ways but the level of betrayal of US workers by Democrats is unrivaled by Republicans who don't pretend to represent workers.

True. NAFTA, most favored nation status for China [[both signed by Bill), utter lack of even trying to undo the decades of dismantling of workers' rights under Reagan, Bush I and Bush II.

Both major parties are corporatist. The big difference is that the dems feel that those who benefit from corporatist policies should pay more in taxes than those who have been hurt by them.

I disagree. It seems logical that the last ones hired are the first ones fired and that is what the media has always taught me but more recent immigrant groups from Asia, or Somalia for that matter, would also be suffering more right now if that were the case. I haven't seen any statistics to suggest those other groups have gone down the tube relative to whites as US blacks have under Obama. I suspect that the " last ones hired, first ones fired " reasoning is overblown.

My County's largest minority group are the Amish. They are competing with Monsanto and the USDA with horses and eighth grade educations but keep buying more land. In an adjacent county the largest minority are Hmong. I keep seeing especially their girls taking all sorts of academic awards even though their parents speak broken English and have crummy jobs. I don't see that either of those groups slid, relative to average whites, in the Bush/Obama recession. I see the opposite. I wonder why doesn't "last one hired, first one fired" apply to them even though they compete with language problems, poor educational backgrounds, and even horses. The Amish, for the most part, lean Republican but usually don't vote and the Hmong lean Democrat. I don't see either group tying their success to government.
    If you take the statement literally then maybe you can say its overblown, but the statement is more directed at the economy. When the economy is good blacks while feeling the positive effects catch it at the end of the curve. When the economy is bad blacks are ahead of the curve in terms of feeling its effects . The number of blacks that dropped out of the middle class as a result of the Great Recession was significant which indicates how tenuous blacks economic gains are in this economy. My point is it could have been Obama, Bush or Joe Blow in office this would have happen regardless. The reason for this is complex but part of this is that blacks have money but they don't have wealth, particularly generational wealth. Now I don't know a lot about the Hmong and Amish but that doesn't feel like a good comparison. The Amish live simply, barter and have little if any debt. Other than the real estate that mostly defines their wealth they aren't really caught up within the consumerism of the US economy. They would do ok under any president. They did take somewhat of a real estate hit but their lifestyle would help them recover quickly. As for the Hmong, there are a few on the east side of Detroit and south Warren. For a time they carried the highest GPA's at Osborn HS with some of them being valedictorians at the mostly black school. Again Hmong's and Asians in general tend to test better not only against blacks but whites as well. Its a cultural thing for them and it wouldn't matter who was the president.
    Last edited by firstandten; June-29-13 at 05:31 PM.

Compassionate conservatives?

Why do they wait until they run out of cards before replaying the same old cards that didn't work the last time they played them?

Ola, I assume you and I live within several counties of each other. Between my son and I, we've been doing about twenty five to thirty thousand dollars of business with the Amish each year for the last few years. They're reasonably savvy when it comes to business and receive a number of tax breaks. They do have some advantages that most of us don't receive, making doing business with them reasonably profitable.
    My son has even gotten to the point where he deals with one Amish community in one area, buys from them and sells their products to another Amish community about 30 miles away. The amount of business they do is amazing and they're expanding their empire, if you could call it that, faster than any part of the corporate economy which is huge in my area.

I don't know as much about the Hmong, but I do know several people that are in the Madison area that are life long machinists that now work at about half the rate they used to earn because they now work in shops that have re-opened, have a large number of Hmong that also work there and are willing to work for much lower wages.
    I don't know what to think about all of it but the landscape has certainly changed.

Oladub, you ask the question why blacks economically have gone down the tubes under Obama. I think that again in the cause and effect equation you get the effect right but the cause part you don't go deep enough. Middle class blacks for the most part have jobs in the public sector or are laboring in the lower rungs of manufacturing. Or otherwise have union jobs in the areas that the Repubs have been systematically dismantling over the past 30 years. When the percentage of union membership goes under double digits who do you think is being affected by that ? Now I'm not trying to defend the unions so much as to state a reason why blacks have suffered so economically. Obama just happen to be in office when the stuff hit the fan. On the other hand you attempt the make the case that because Obama was in office when blacks lost so much economically then it must be his fault. Many black leaders feel that Obama should institute special policies because blacks have lost so much economically over the past few years. Obama, however is not inclined to do that.. He is a rising tide lifts all ships kind of president.
    Last edited by firstandten; June-30-13 at 12:51 AM.

Another perspective from The Young Turks: Slavery Defender at CPAC Gets Pat on the Back

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Oladub, you ask the question why blacks economically have gone down the tubes under Obama. I think that again in the cause and effect equation you get the effect right but the cause part you don't go deep enough. Middle class blacks for the most part have jobs in the public sector or are laboring in the lower rungs of manufacturing. Or otherwise have union jobs in the areas that the Repubs have been systematically dismantling over the past 30 years. When the percentage of union membership goes under double digits who do you think is being affected by that ? Now I'm not trying to defend the unions so much as to state a reason why blacks have suffered so economically. Obama just happen to be in office when the stuff hit the fan. On the other hand you attempt the make the case that because Obama was in office when blacks lost so much economically then it must be his fault. Many black leaders feel that Obama should institute special policies because blacks have lost so much economically over the past few years. Obama, however is not inclined to do that.. He is a rising tide lifts all ships kind of president.
    I attribute the death of blue collar labor unions to both Republicans and Democrats. Being dependent on Democrats, I think, has been a huge miscalculation for US blacks. Whether it is dependency on public sector jobs when the government lives on printing press money or Clinton signing NAFTA, Obama secretly pursuing the TPP, or dumping millions of unskilled foreigners into the already overcrowded entry level job market, US blacks are being disproportionately hurt by Democrats. Blue collar unions will continue to die under these circumstances. Blaming Republicans exclusively is part of the dependency trap.

Going back to my Amish analogy again- Living and working with Amish for a long time, I've noted a couple of things. I wouldn't characterize Amish as living "simply". Old guy nailed it by describing them as "savvy" in business. They don't base their fate on what the government gives them. They aren't the best industrial employees because family weddings and funerals always are more important than showing up for work. They are consequently mostly self-employed. Around here, they are dairy farm based and collectivley own their own cheese factory. However, many, if not most, have sideline businesses. Those businesses can be everything from making boat tarps, to buggies, to cabinets and furniture, selling baked goods or quilts, having roofing crews, building farm fences, etc.. I've known them to sell goats to Arabs in Chicago and sell used barnwood siding, by the semi load, to a Texas architectural firm. Recently, one of the local Amish communities near here built a large pole building to have weekly plant auctions. A lot of the local Amish have started greenhouses to use their childrens' labor [[ave. 7.1 children/family in my County with father very present). They sell lots of hanging floral arrangemnts, flats of seeds, begonias, produce, etc. to buyers from Milwaukee and Chicago. What I'm saying is that they don't blame Republicans but do make a point of staying ahead of the economic curve. So again, point of fact, US blacks have suffered more under Obama's tenure than average whites. Obama has to borrow from our children to lift boats to the limited extent he has.

I don't disagree that US blacks are more affected by industrial downturns and civil service cutbacks but there are alternatives to being trapped and dependent on Democrats.

old guy - Yeah, I've had the Amish roof my house and barn for about 2/3 the prices quoted by the roofing guys that show up in brand new Dodge Power Wagons; same materials. Of course, I had to pick them up and drive them home every day.

LOL, Jimaz. There are some minorities who do like the GOP against all reason, IMHO. Why do people insist on voting against their own good?

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    LOL, Jimaz. There are some minorities who do like the GOP against all reason, IMHO. Why do people insist on voting against their own good?
    That goes double or triple for working class white people, without whom the GOP would never win a damn thing

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    ... Why do people insist on voting against their own good?
    That has to be the question of the century. It obviously has something to do with mass deception. The problem seems much worse than, say, 40 years ago.

The faulty reasoning might be that "sophisticated ideas often defy common sense and such-and-such idea defies my common sense of what's in my best interest so that idea must be sophisticated so I'll side with something more sophisticated than whatever I could dream up."

The idea of "doubling down" keeps recurring in the media lately too. Maybe some folks who made political investments that backfired get persuaded that the only reason it backfired was that they didn't invest enough the first time around so they double their commitment to what is truly against their self interest.

But of course these false rationalizations have a limited shelf life in practice. Voters who repeatedly and confidently vote against their own self interest will lose a great deal over time. At some point they will have nothing left to contribute to a party other than their vote. Wealthy interests will subsidize those voters until they don't.

I've been considering similarities between Ayn Rand and the Marquis de Sade. At some point each was obsessed with the threat that the weak might overpower the strong. Of course this idea is a semantic perversion on its face — which seems to defy common sense — which makes it seem sophisticated! <BLING!>
    Last edited by Jimaz; June-30-13 at 10:19 PM.

11 Million Hispanic voters = The end of the Republican party.
    Hispanics dominantly vote Democrat.

Republicans have a poor branding with Hispanics, even though Hispanics tend to be working class, religious, family oriented, and pro life.